Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Looking to upgrade sights on Glock 20. Anyone try the XS Big Dot? Any other good recommendations? I have TFX Truglo on another and they're ok. My Glock 20 isn't target gun, just personal protection.

Thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The big dots are one of the worst style sights I have seen. The gimmick is that they offer a quick acquisition at close range. The thing is at such close ranges most people don't really use anything other than a flash sight picture anyways, so there is zero advantage up close. At further distance they are absolutely atrocious when trying to shoot precisely as compared to a decent set of sights such as tritiums or fiber optics like these:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I do not know of any knowledgeable handgunners who either use or recommend them.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a friend who put the Big Dot sights on his Springfield .45 TRP he's a big fan, but I couldn't shoot them worth a hoot. The pistol was fine until he put those sights on it. He's still enamored of them, and I didn't try to change his mind, but they didn't impress me much, except for the lack of precision. I just wasn't able to shoot them well. I strongly favor BoMars or something similar, like LPAs or the like.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
There are so many brands out, not sure where to even start. 🤔

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To each his own, I tried the big dots and hated them. The grandson of a friend shot them very well and liked them so I gave them to him since he had the same pistol.

I’ve settled on Trijicon HD XR’s on defensive guns and Dawson Precision fiber optics on game guns.

Last edited by TWR; 01/08/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gimmick sights on my gimmick gun. Other than that, no thanks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The big dots are one of the worst style sights I have seen. The gimmick is that they offer a quick acquisition at close range. The thing is at such close ranges most people don't really use anything other than a flash sight picture anyways, so there is zero advantage up close. At further distance they are absolutely atrocious when trying to shoot precisely as compared to a decent set of sights such as tritiums or fiber optics like these:

I do not know of any knowledgeable handgunners who either use or recommend them.

^^^This^^^

They are not worth a damn for precision shooting.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess the 43c I have has a giant white dot out front made by XS that might be a “big dot” sight but that’s not a target gun either and it works there. Though I did try the tritium version on it.
But the shallow V for the rear they sell as a set is worthless to me.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I like that ^

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have a friend who put the Big Dot sights on his Springfield .45 TRP he's a big fan, but I couldn't shoot them worth a hoot. The pistol was fine until he put those sights on it. He's still enamored of them, and I didn't try to change his mind, but they didn't impress me much, except for the lack of precision. I just wasn't able to shoot them well. I strongly favor BoMars or something similar, like LPAs or the like.

Same camp.
Hate the dot sights on my HK.
But find it the dot front on my P365 to be fine.
Maybe influenced by radius.

I dunno.

A flat face rear, nothing on it and MAYBE a small tritium dot on front , could work for both sport and defense. Have not tried the Kimber bar rear dot front adj tritiums.

Changed my Python sights to Kensights, patridge front, full flat face rear. Way nicer than stock ones.

Have yet to get my Commander where i like it LOL....stock dot crap.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/09/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a set on my Glock 23 and I liked them. Mine were the standard V-notch rear with a plain big white dot front, non tritium. They were minute of beer can at about 15 yards for me.
I decided I liked the combination of a green fiber optic front sight with the adjustable Glock rear sight for what I wanted them for, my woods sidearm.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I ordered Trijicon HD. Lots of good reviews. Just installed them the other day, and I like the front but not the rear. There aren't dots on the rear other than the two little dots that are supposed to glow in dim light. In daylight, you can't hardly see them. It's fine though, because the front is large and bright and just drops in the U. Probably explore other options next time though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a plain black rear without dots to distract me from a hard focus on the front sight.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I put a set on a pistol and my experience with them mirrors this exactly.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,150 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.