24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have reloaded rifle cartridges for a while , so I think it's natural to reload your own. I was never a waterfowler and the only time I thought it might be worthwhile to have a shotgun was when I spooked a Blue grouse. But we have wild Turkeys now, so I might come across ones while deer hunting. I have a 12 ga shotgun . The question is hulls , where do you get them, If you they are from factory loads, what brands are reloadable.

Last edited by downwindtracker2; 01/08/22.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Like you I was a rifle/pistol reloader,new to shot shells and its a bit different. Start with the Lyman Shot Shell manual. Also the powder company websites.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Honestly if you’re a clay target shooter it pays to reload shotgun shells. If you only plan on reloading a few hunting loads it cost enough to get set up I’m not sure it’s worth it. Ballistic Products carry more hunting type components that you would be looking for. Availability of primers and shotgun powder is horrible right now. The proper wad is one of the key components in your shotgun shells because of its effect on patterns and stack height. Definitely need a good reloading manual from the powder manufacturer or Lyman. As far as hulls, you can find standard size hulls (2 3/4”) at your local gun club. Hunting size like 3” or 3 1/2” are going to be harder to find. Turkey loads aren’t that expensive in this component crisis that we are in right now. Good luck man.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I get the hulls for my turkey loads from BPI.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can easily load a few turkey loads easily without the need for a press. Buy new primed hulls, appropriate wads, small quantities of shot and a roll crimper. You can use your metalic reloading scale for the shot and powder thats how I make my coyote loads and bismuth waterfowl loads.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Our club has a nice shotgun range, so I can make fool of myself there . I have a couple of bags of 7 1/2, left over from making a counter weights at work. I was thinking practice loads, besides the turkey. How to lead is a handy hunting skill I don't have. When I went into our local Cabellas to pick up Lymans load book, they didn't seem to have much variety outside of cartons of Challenger for $90 Canadian.From my little reading I gather these are not reloadable. As if i knew what I was looking for, chuckle. They didn't have the book this time, so I ordered it on line. My partner picked up a 22mag for turkeys, but he is a great shot. I got a pretty standard pump 12ga . 2 3/4" full choke.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 160user, 35, 14 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.