-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Baer concept V. It’s the Government model in SS. I comes with adj. sites. I’m impressed with it.
I recently bought a Wilson Combat ACP model. All SS model in Commander size. When you pull the slide back , you think it’s on ball bearings. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've had a Baer & could easily go there again.

If I was wealthy I'd have them all, but really think Bear is still a solid choice.

The Nighthawks are nice guns. Didn't those guys train under & work for.......... Baer?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I had my choice it would be Guncrafter No Name. I do not care for faux names: "Operator", "Special Forces", "Range Officer", "Agent", "CQB", "Tactical Unit",...... I hate faux marketing BS.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Another vote for Les Baer. I'm partial to the Ultimate Tactical Carry, since it doesn't have the ambi safety. (I'm cranky like that)

You just don't like lefties.

Marxists, I mean. smile

You're probably on to something there.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunzo

If I was wealthy I'd have them all, but really think Bear is still a solid choice.

The Nighthawks are nice guns. Didn't those guys train under & work for.......... Baer?

The Nighthawk crew used to work at Wilson Combat. They are also located in Berryville Arkansas, IIRC.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

Sure they do. Night and day even.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This one for deep sentimental reasons...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and This one for both sentimental reasons and accuracy....

Last December I put 3 consecutive "first cold shots of the day" rounds through the same hole at ten yds w/out making the hole any larger. I've done two in a row before a handful of times, but not sure if I've ever "Robin Hooded" 3 times in a row, with witnesses.Then on the first of the year (this year), I cut a playing card on edge on my first attempt at 10yds after a buddy of mine left the bottom 2/3's of the card from his shot with a .62cal smoothbore trade gun....(the 230gr LRN got just enough of the ogive on there to cut the card cleanly, so it wasn't perfectly centered,,, hence the rub-line,,, but I'll take it)

Not sure if I'd ever see any benefit of throwing another $2-$3k into another 1911. To date, these have been 100% reliable.

Last edited by Stump Buster; 01/09/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
I have a friend who (1) is legally blind, and (2) likes high-end 1911's. He likes to shoot but can't see well enough to zero them or determine their accuracy. I "help" him by shooting his guns for him--I'm just a good guy who's willing to help a buddy! smile Hence, I have shot quite a few Nighthawks, Ed Brown's, and Wilson Combat's . I also used to shoot bowling pins with a bunch of guys who own a wide variety of 1911's. Naturally we shoot each other's guns to see what we like.

Anyhoo...compared to production guns (Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, etc.) there just isn't any difference in performance. Making a functional 1911 isn't exactly a secret or even difficult. The custom shops make beautiful guns for sure, but they don't outperform production guns in either accuracy or reliability.

My two cents (and I'm sure I'll get change back) is this: handle them and buy the one that resonates with you, the one that makes you smile. Get the one you love looking at, that fits your hand, and makes you feel incomplete when you put it down. That's what you're paying for--not an advantage in accuracy or functionality.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

Production guns will get 'er done, for sure, but my experience is the custom 1911s do outperform them in both accuracy and reliability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All of the versions that you posted are beyond excellent, with the Baer being a best buy from the cost standpoint, but I have a hard time liking Baer's..................just not my cup of tea.

I have 2 Wilson's & of the dozen or so 1911's that I have the Wilson's are my favorites with the 2-tone Protector version, below, being easily #1.

My 2nd choice would be Nighthawk............more or less the same, different trimmings.

Slides glide like on bearings, more than accurate for anything short of 50 yd bullseye shooting.

JMHO

MM

My #1 Favorite

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have handled them all and the Dw is a fine pistol but my Nighthawk is by far the nicest, smoothest 1911 I own. You can't go wrong with Wilson either. If you're looking for a higher end one and done.

Enough already, just shoot it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lhead71
I have handled them all and the Dw is a fine pistol but my Nighthawk is by far the nicest, smoothest 1911 I own. You can't go wrong with Wilson either. If you're looking for a higher end one and done.

+1

I own, and have owned, a lot of 1911s, but if there had to be only one...Nighthawk Custom GAP 10mm.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This Baer, that has a 1.5" @ 50 yard 5 shot guarantee is definitely the one I like to shoot the most.

Carried in a 50th anniversary Milt Sparks rig.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by lhead71

+1

I own, and have owned, a lot of 1911s, but if there had to be only one...Nighthawk Custom GAP 10mm.

A man tells himself he's content with the handguns in his possession and doesn't need a 1911, then..........that.
Sometimes I hate it here.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I feel for the insanity y'all endure, that is CA gun laws...

How could they possibly ban one brand of 1911, and allow another?

That's some crazy stuff right there. crazy

Yep. Makes no sense whatsoever. When I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, we had a very short list of guns we could ship to CA after they changed their laws.
Right before that, we were making major bank shipping truck loads of guns there.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick - I'm trying to stay right on topic.

On your list - I'd go Wilson, knowing any other choice isn't wrong, just different.

Last summer I was set on a new Wilson Hackathorn Special (finances/job changed so no new 1911) and came to the conclusion that if everyone keeps sayin "on par with a Wilson", "just as nice as a Wilson", "same as a Wilson".... why not just get the Wilson and call it good?

Just where I stand.

Me

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I only own one 1911 so it has to be my favorite. I purchased a Dan Wesson Valor some years ago after extensive research told me that they were the best high end bang for the buck. I have been very happy with it although I have nothing to compare it to.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

The Nighthawk crew used to work at Wilson Combat. They are also located in Berryville Arkansas, IIRC.

Thank you CT, I need correcting at times. Please don't tell my wife I admit that.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Thank you CT, I need correcting at times. Please don't tell my wife I admit that.

You have my empathy.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
Hi Guys:

I am trying to avoid the "what's the best 1911" question, but ...

I like Dan Wessons. I think DW is about the best bang for the buck 1911, all things considered. YMMV, of course, but that's my take. I really like my Commander Classic, although I would have preferred a VBOB. Were I able to purchase more Dan Wessons in Cali, I'd probably knock off a full-size Valor in .45 ACP, a 10mm Razorback, and a Guardian ... maybe in .38 Super or 9mm. But alas as a California resident, there is a grand total of TWO (2), dos, deux, DW 1911 models on our "approved handgun roster," the aforementioned Commander Classic, which I own, and the Pointman 7, which does not interest me so much. As such, it looks like I am Dan Wessoned out. Sucks.

So I've been hankering for a quality 5-inch 1911 .45 ACP, and since the DW Valor is out, I have been sniffing at some of the higher end stuff for a "one and done" grinlaugh California compliant model that will make me forget the Valor I would otherwise buy ... even if it costs me.

So now, the question (feel free to suggest other models ... this is where my attention is at the moment):

Les Baer Premier II: $2312

[Linked Image from budsgunshop.com]

or

Les Baer Custom Carry: $2323

[Linked Image from lesbaer.com]

Wilson Combat CQB: $3050

[Linked Image from wilsoncombat.com]

Ed Brown California Special Forces: $3495

[Linked Image from edbrown.com]

Nighthawk GRP: $3499

[Linked Image from nighthawkcustom.com]

or

Nighthawk Talon: $3999 (Yeeouch)

[Linked Image from nighthawkcustom.com]

I plan on handling every one of these.

All ears here, and thanks in advance ...

Ive literally owned them all. I would say les baer above all else minus one. I had a night hawk talon built and it was hands down the finest most accurate 1911 ive ever owner or seen. Regret selling it. My list in order goes nh talon, any of the les baers mentioned above, ed brown being a close second and wilson last. The 2 wilsons i owned were the least accurate and juat didnt do much for my tastes

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 62 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.