Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m going to dive in and build my first AR. I’m a bit torn whether not I want to build a predator rifle, or a pistol first, but I suppose it’s largely irrelevant for the questions I have…I’m hoping to buy all of the components and more or less “snap the gun together”. I would like to avoid any intricate milling work if possible. My goal here is to build a reliable and functional weapon and save a little bit of money while doing it compared to buying a complete gun

Like anything else, there are guys who think X manufacture is better than all the others, when realistically there is really no bad options. Is that the case with uppers and lowers? What manufactures would you avoid and why? Some guys say the lower is not something to get caught up in since they are largely all the same and to spend your money on the barrel and trigger mechanisms, thoughts?

Obviously it’s always great to build something reliable as cheaply as possible, but I have no problem paying more money for something truly better.

~$1000 budget or so

Last edited by scottprice; 01/09/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your budget?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never built one. I nearly have a half dozen times since I bought my first AR15 a Colt HBAR in 1993. I always come up with it's only a hundred bucks more to buy a assembled rifle.

That said PSA seems to make a nice AR!5 for the money. I still have a PSA lower sitting around my brother gave me. A few years ago I researched and decided that Aero Precision lowers were for the money top flight lowers.

Build what you like but a flat top upper with a mid length gas system and a free float handguard with a light weight to medium weight barrel is very versatile rig.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Build what you like but a flat top upper with a mid length gas system and a free float handguard with a light weight to medium weight barrel is very versatile rig.

I’d say we have the same focus

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
What is your budget?

Based on what I’m reading it seems like you could build a pretty damn good gun for 1000 bucks. So let’s try for that or less

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Definitely build your own if at all possible. If you buy a pre-assembled weapon, you will almost surely decide to start changing out parts on it. Then you are just spending money on extra parts from the original purchase that will most likely end up never being used. Been there and done that. Learned my lesson. Don't forget that you are going to have to have access to a certain number of speciality tools also. You need to either consider this in your budget, or maybe find some you can rent/borrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really wanted to build one.
Wasn't looking for a top tier gun.
Just one that worked.

Looking at the pieces parts, and tools, it became apparent that
one is better off buying a gun from someone like PSA.

However, if you are willing to dig deep enough to learn about bcc, triggers,
barrels...And can get through the BS of the guys who always own the best.
Because it's theirs.
If you are willing to shop and be patient, you can eventually acquire the
parts to build a top quality gun and build IT inexpensively.

Right now you can buy a complete upper and and lower from PSA
for about $500. Some, include a high quality BCG. Or buy a kit.
The upper is assembled, you buy a stripped lower and assemble it
with the kit parts.

Really depends on what you want to end up with.
And how bad you want to say you built it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would post in the AR forum here, they have been a bunch of help to me.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
.And can get through the BS of the guys who always own the best. Because it's theirs.

If you are willing to shop and be patient, you can eventually acquire the parts to build a top quality gun and build IT inexpensively.

Fanboys are always the biggest hurdle lol, I’m in no hurry though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you're into noise get a pistol. They are extremely loud. Do you want accuracy? If you do then consider that the cost of mount/rings and scope will cost you as much if not more than the build. Palmetto Armory has some good deals on 223/5.56 builds. If you want something like the 6ARC or Grendel it will cost more and parts are scarce. There is some great stuff out there but you pay for what you get. White Oak Arms, Aero Precision, Wilson Tac., Davidson Defense and LaRue are just some of the companies that service the industry. There are a lot more.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're going for a long distance rifle you're going to want to put you money into the Barrel, the bolt, and the upper but you still want a decent lower but you don't need to go dumping $400 into it.

When you're building a pistol make sure you pay attention to your local and state laws.

On the pistol I wouldn't worry about the lower to much as you're not using it for long distance you're using it for short range self defense. one thing you do want to avoid in a lower is the plastic lowers, I had a bud break two plastic lowers from rough handling. The last thing you need is to be in a self defense situation fall and break your lower. Stick with the aluminum lowers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scottprice
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
What is your budget?

Based on what I’m reading it seems like you could build a pretty damn good gun for 1000 bucks. So let’s try for that or less

There are dozens of manufacturers that sell completed rifles for under $1,000 that are capable of shooting sub-MOA with quality ammunition. So not sure what you're after exactly. If you just want the fun of building a rifle that is one thing, if you are after an accurate sub-$1,000 AR, there 'res plenty of choices available.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you spring for the tools and fixtures necessary to build the first one, it will become an addiction, always just one more. However if you have friends that are of like mind, then you can share the cost of getting set up to play.

I got bit 25 years ago, and have them from .204 to .308, and, as a wildcat freak, the .25 X .223 is nifty, (grandkids have popped some deer with that one), then they came out with the Grendel. AR15.com will be your friend on a build and their Equipment Exchange is a good place to look for needed/wanted parts.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If you're going for a long distance rifle you're going to want to put you money into the Barrel, the bolt.

Even if I build a predator rifle, there’s really no “long distance” anything where I’m at. I would say 200 yards would be as far as I will ever be able to shoot at game. It’s pretty dense around here.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by scottprice
I’m going to dive in and build my first AR. I’m a bit torn whether not I want to build a predator rifle, or a pistol first, but I suppose it’s largely irrelevant for the questions I have…I’m hoping to buy all of the components and more or less “snap the gun together”. I would like to avoid any intricate milling work if possible. My goal here is to build a reliable and functional weapon and save a little bit of money while doing it compared to buying a complete gun

Like anything else, there are guys who think X manufacture is better than all the others, when realistically there is really no bad options. Is that the case with uppers and lowers? What manufactures would you avoid and why? Some guys say the lower is not something to get caught up in since they are largely all the same and to spend your money on the barrel and trigger mechanisms, thoughts?

Obviously it’s always great to build something reliable as cheaply as possible, but I have no problem paying more money for something truly better.

~$1000 budget or so

I bought my first stripped lower and parts kit about 12+/- years ago.

Guy told me to build it "inside" a large white trash bag.

I had my Leatherman, a 12 penny finish nail, some paperclips and some scotch tape. Used a stapler as a hammer.

I built it in my cubical at work while the Brownell YouTube video played on my monitor.

Took about 20 minutes. Easy as pie. I did mar the finish slightly at the bolt catch roll pin and the trigger roll pin.

The trash bag saved my butt on detent springs et al.

PSA brand.

Last piece of advice... OIL THE BOLT. I use Prius motor oil (new or used) 0W-20.

SUPER EASY.

Punch is better than a nail.

Hammer is better than a stapler.

ETC.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Had a guy build me one several years ago.....

Aero Precision upper/lower/Shilen SS 7 twist barrel in 300 Black...good trigger too

Probably my least used gun in the safe.....runs well though

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
ARs can be made to shoot very well ...

1000 yard group (friend's rifle) with heavies...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

For the record... he is very good... and very experienced.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like a 1:7 twist barrel, but I shoot 62s and up mostly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spikes or Stag stripped lower
Dpms lower parts kit or similar
Buy a completed upper?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If you're going for a long distance rifle you're going to want to put you money into the Barrel, the bolt, and the upper but you still want a decent lower but you don't need to go dumping $400 into it.

When you're building a pistol make sure you pay attention to your local and state laws.

On the pistol I wouldn't worry about the lower to much as you're not using it for long distance you're using it for short range self defense. one thing you do want to avoid in a lower is the plastic lowers, I had a bud break two plastic lowers from rough handling. The last thing you need is to be in a self defense situation fall and break your lower. Stick with the aluminum lowers.

That’s good advice there.

I’ve assembled several but I’m not sure that you save much money.

The lower is essentially just a trigger group housing, mag well and handle. The upper is where your bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, barrel extension, and rail is contained, the parts that really matter. You can spend big bucks on a rail but a decent free floated rail and the barrel and bolt are where I would spend my money. Milspec triggers suck but for your purposes any from a PSA nickel boron coated trigger for $30 bucks or so on up will be night and day better and will be good to go IMO.

As far as reliability AR’s have been around long enough and enough of them built and scrutinized that just about any will generally be reliable for civilian use. The higher end milspec and better parts are great but unless you’re using it for prolonged use in a war zone it really isn’t needed for Joe average that shoots a few rounds hunting, a mag or two at the range and puts it away clean for home protection or back in the safe until the next range day. I like quality guns but a cheapo AR realistically will do what most people need it to do without issue.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 1minute, 300_savage, 29 invisible), 1,829 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,054
Posts18,463,191
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.