Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking into a 26" 12 gauge.

Local shop has some in stock. Checks a lot of boxes for me. Wood, light weight, 26" barrel. It'll be a upland bird gun.

Little cheaper than most semi autos it seems.

What's the good and bad?

Last edited by dakotakidd; 01/08/22.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a camo version that was offered by Dunn’s during a waterfowl special they had a few years ago. I have zero complaints and has functioned 100% from light loads to heavy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love my 20. Fast-handling, fits me well, light, svelte, shoots 3 in (good for steel).

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
Looking into a 26" 12 gauge.
Local shop has some in stock. Checks a lot of boxes for me. Wood, light weight, 26" barrel. It'll be a upland bird gun.
Little cheaper than most semi autos it seems.
What's the good and bad?

The biggest problem for me with my Montefeltro was the reach to the trigger while trying to maintain a normal grip. I have small hands with relatively short fingers and I couldn't position my trigger finger properly on the trigger without having to radically shift my grip. It just didn't work while trying to mount and swing a shotgun properly. Since it's a local shop, you should be able to 'test fit' the shotgun to check out the grip. If the grip is OK, then I bet you'll like the shotgun. I had no complaints about how my Montefeltro performed other than the grip but it was a deal breaker and I sold the Benelli.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It would be my first benelli, what's the big difference between a m2, sbe and a monte? All the same inertia system, right? Just comfort tech vs not and 3 1/2"options?

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've shot several Montefeltros but they are too light and not balanced to my preference. The owners all love their guns and are extremely happy with them. I cannot say anything bad to its objective qualities, it is just that it does not fit my subjective desires.

As for the differences in models, other than the SBE being chambered for 3.5" shells I couldn't tell you. Benellis have not appealed to me for some reason so I have not familiarized myself with them.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
And that's something I'll need to decide when I handle them. Hard to buy a shotgun that doesn't fit well...

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Another difference in the Monte vs M2 and SBE is the Monte has a flat rib and the M2 and SBE both have raised ribs which I like 👍.....Good luck...Hb

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have that gun exactly. I thought I wanted a 28” barrel, but in handling the gun found the dynamics better for me with the 26”, especially given the relatively long receiver of these and most other Benellis.

The only thing I had done was some trigger work to lighten the pull weight, and polished the mechanism a little. I find I shoot it quite well and it has never malfunctioned, even with my 7/8 oz handloads. I happen to like the flat rib.

I also have a 12 ga. Ultralight, also 26” barrel. I like it very much as well, shoot it as well as the Monte despite its lighter weight. Thought I would give them both a run and sell the one I like less. I kept both, if that tells you anything. And I’m pretty picky about my shotguns.

Last edited by GF1; 01/09/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I used to have a matching set in 12 and 20ga of the super 90 monte. The older version, but I loved them, especially the 20ga as everything thing on it was a little more petite than the 12.

I'd buy a 20ga ultra lite in a heartbeat.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had several and have one now. All of mine have been 20 ga, not 12. The only thing I found not to like was the dreaded Benelli Click.
I did not find out about how to fix it until after I sold my last one. I have not changed the spring out in the one I have now, but will before I hunt with it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
I have a camo version that was offered by Dunn’s during a waterfowl special they had a few years ago. I have zero complaints and has functioned 100% from light loads to heavy.

Local shop here had 2 of these new a couple years back , I regret not buying one , I like the flat ribs better .

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pullit
I've had several and have one now. All of mine have been 20 ga, not 12. The only thing I found not to like was the dreaded Benelli Click.
I did not find out about how to fix it until after I sold my last one. I have not changed the spring out in the one I have now, but will before I hunt with it

I know of this happening to others, but have never had it happen to me.

Last edited by GF1; 01/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mostly all good. You can knock another 1/4 lb off by going to the Ultralight. Gas guns are ok for the clay sports, but IMO, I will never be carrying one on a mile after mile for grouse or pheasant. But, also for the same reason (inertia system) they are simple and easy to break down and clean for even a monkey with mittens. If you are going to use these “big” 12’s with 1 3/8 oz shot at 1450 or so though, you’ll will soon grow tired of shooting — they’ll pound you pretty well.. I can’t see their application in the uplands anyway.

There was a period, may just a run or two maybe, where Ben’s recoil pads would literally crumble away — like even on one or two days hunts. I’ve had two of those guns which Ben quietly acknowledged by sending new pads. One new one began crumbling immediately but haven’t heard anyone complaining of that lately. I have to think they’ve fixed that.

I’ve tried many Ben models and have had only that one complaint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
Originally Posted by pullit

I know of this happening to others, but have never had it happen to me.

I have been hunting a pair of M1S90 H&K guns for 30-ish years and never had a single issue of any sort with them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What is this dreaded benelli click? I've came across it a few times....

I'm sure I could google it and find out myself, but I value your guys' knowledge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
Love my 20. Fast-handling, fits me well, light, svelte, shoots 3 in (good for steel).

^^^This^^^

Love my 20 ga.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
What is this dreaded benelli click? I've came across it a few times....

I'm sure I could google it and find out myself, but I value your guys' knowledge.

If the bolt isn't all of the way forward you get a fail to fire.

They are easily bumped back about a 1/4" and the bolt isn't quite all the way forward and locked in.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/09/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Got ya. Does a increased power recoil spring fix that or is it an issue you have to live with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Have to live with..." That's good humor right there!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.