Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Had a guy build me one several years ago.....

Aero Precision upper/lower/Shilen SS 7 twist barrel in 300 Black...good trigger too

Probably my least used gun in the safe.....runs well though

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What!!no can?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
You might want to also post in the AR and Assault Rifle section for more input.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with a Noveske lower..

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1000 bucks?

PSA and build two

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you’re thinking about a 16” barrel go ahead and get sn 18” one. That will leave a couple inches to cut and crown should it be necessary. Otherwise you’re stuck with what you got.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
When ya buy the lower, make sure it's classified as a "receiver" on the BATCMF form, and not a "rifle", just in case ya wanna go pistol with it someday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went with assembled uppers from PSA for the ones I built years ago. I would watch for sales on the main features that I was after, such as barrel length and material (stainless) and twist. I then paired with a stripped lower and added the final touches, like swapping put grips and forends.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by worriedman
If you spring for the tools and fixtures necessary to build the first one, it will become an addiction, always just one more. However if you have friends that are of like mind, then you can share the cost of getting set up to play.

I got bit 25 years ago, and have them from .204 to .308, and, as a wildcat freak, the .25 X .223 is nifty, (grandkids have popped some deer with that one), then they came out with the Grendel. AR15.com will be your friend on a build and their Equipment Exchange is a good place to look for needed/wanted parts.

Yes. I got caught up in that. It is fun doing the looking and then assemble the finished product.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by scottprice
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If you're going for a long distance rifle you're going to want to put you money into the Barrel, the bolt.

Even if I build a predator rifle, there’s really no “long distance” anything where I’m at. I would say 200 yards would be as far as I will ever be able to shoot at game. It’s pretty dense around here.

Keep in mind these are rough #'s and many different things can affect them.

if you are 1" L or R at 100 yards you will be approximately 2" off at 200 yards, Accuracy is still pretty important at 200 yard distances.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Had a guy build me one several years ago.....

Aero Precision upper/lower/Shilen SS 7 twist barrel in 300 Black...good trigger too

Probably my least used gun in the safe.....runs well though

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What!!no can?

not yet.......isn't it like sending joe & the hoe $200 for a stamp or silly schidt ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Aero precision. Bravo company.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive got several and of them all, the very 1st one is the only factory built gun I own. Its a Colt 6920 and its the sloppiest, least accurate gun I own. Ive built on Anderson (poverty pony) lowers, PSA lowers, Griffin Armament lowers, all have been perfect. Larue makes a FANTASTIC trigger, the MBT too. Just jump in the game and get your feet wet!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Brands to stay away from:
Bear Creak
Radical

Come on down to the AR forum and we'll answer all your build questions, and probably cost you some money with new idea for additional builds.

Here's a recent thread on inexpensive AR builds
Inexpensive AR builds

Here's a few guidelines.
Your two most important parts or the barrel and BCG, and some will argue followed by the trigger. Spend your money here and save on the commodity parts.
So long as your lower is dimensionally correct, it'll work fine. This is a good place to save money. Uppers receivers are a little more critical, for an accuracy build, they tighter they fit to the barrel extension the better. Beyond that, dimensionally correct is good enough. so most people save money here.

Triggers, ALG is nice for the money, I like a good Geissele Trigger.

Lower parts kits. Any of the mid tier and up kits, starting as PSA CMMG etc. and up are good, just don't buy Anderson for the LPK, they are know for out of spec springs and pins.

Just about everything else is personal preference.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[quote=scottprice]if you are 1" L or R at 100 yards you will be approximately 2" off at 200 yards, Accuracy is still pretty important at 200 yard distances.

Absolutely. I just didn’t want you to think I was trying to build some kind of match rifle

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My younger son was home over Christmas so we put one together out of mostly just parts I had about the place. I picked up a PSA ‘blem’ lower for $149 some months ago. I had an A4 style upper, an Anderson Mfg BCG, I bought a no name keymod 15 floating handguard and the rest of the upper parts for $120. It’s all just mil-spec stuff with the exception of two things, the barrel and the trigger group. I always spring for a quality barrel and a good trigger group. Here’s why:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

100 yards. 20” SS Wilson government profile 223 Wylde chamber 1/9 twist. Trigger is a Rise Armamant 3.5# single stage trigger. Scope is an old 3x9 Tasco I had sitting around so we could go give it a try. Always use a good barrel.

Pic of completed rifle:

This is a $600 gun as shown.

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 01/09/22.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thats a hell of a shooter for a $600 build. I would take those results any day of the week. Good Job.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

This is a $600 gun as shown.

Now that is motivating!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a lower and parts kit for it. Pick your stock, grip and trigger I like geissele myself.

Then pick your upper or as close to it as you can find. Change it how you want. I'm a fan of the super slim handguard myself. After that find an optic you prefer and a quality mount. That's what I did to have a mostly custom rifle for reasonable, usually under your budget (not including optic)

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite part to spend more money on is the trigger, because having a good one can well...make it feel like you're not shooting a crappy ar15 trigger. It is the upgrade you will 'feel' the most.
I like the LaRue MBT series, they're great for the money.
Geissele also very good, usually more expensivethan LaRue.
If I had 1k to spend I'd probably buy a spikes or psa lower, LaRue mbt, and a Bravo Company 16in upper.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
305 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.