Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Been needing a pistol in the .22lr category (I have had many, but have always traded/swapped/sold, etc). My eye continues to get pulled towards the model 41. There was one in the classifieds a while back that I should have jumped on, but didn't, and I am still pissed at myself for that one...

My question - should I continue to hold out for a vintage or older one? or are the new production models ok? Any specific years to look at?

This would be used, hunted with, kids shooting/handling, etc.

I appreciate any info, or if anyone has a lead on a decent priced used one...

thanks!

joe

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno, but the Performance Center one with the rail is in serious jeopardy if my dealer ever gets another.

That said, the Cadet 2 conversion for my CZ is a fine pistol as well; flawless function so far, but a so-so trigger (for a .22 target pistol.)

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an older one and a friend has a newer PC model. Both are excellent. But every now and then you hear a quality control issue with S&W. I would examine before I bought it. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a newer one. Mine has been flawless

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a newer one. Mine has been flawless

Jorge bought a new one last year and after a box of break in ammo and a good lube job has been equally flawless. It's no Woodsman but if you have to. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had an old one worked great, have a new 41, which I like because it has holes drilled and tapped for a rail as it now has a red dot illuminated sight, lot more fun to shoot and get hits.

Functions well with HV ammo but need a softer spring for SV target loads for reliable cycling.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having owned an earlier M/41 you couldn't give me a newer one. Not built to the same quality standards, at least not cosmetically in my opinion.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have had a couple of the older ones, one from 1970 remains. I can’t speak to how well the new ones shoot, but can speak to the fit and finish. The older ones win, hands down, no contest.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
S&W is obviously still capable of doing a “fully polished” blue. Why they CONTINUE to send out Model 41’s, looking like they’ve been finish sanded with 220 grit, is beyond me. An extra $100 of polishing (with a corresponding $100 hike in price), would not kill what is already a $1100-$1200 gun. It would likely HELP sales..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have read of issues with the new ones on the S&W forum. I have one from the 80's with an A prefix serial number and have encountered no issues with it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a new PC model 2 years ago. I was only able to shoot it a couple of times before my range membership ran out ( already told them I wasn't going to renew and then changed my mind ). I had some eject and feed issues with CCI SV. CCI mini-mags were not perfect but did much better. I don't think I put 200rds thru it though.

Even with the issues, I do not regret buying it. I should be back in the club within a month and even though I have several firearms I have not shot yet, the 41 is the one I am looking the most forward to shooting.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Haven't handled a new one. Suggest starting a WTB thread in the Classifieds.
Mine is an old A series gun with cocking indicator and a three barrel set. Probably one of the last guns I would ever part with.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I bought mine about five years ago and I would buy it again. Had a few bobbles the first couple of times I had it out but no problems after that.

I did put some slightly smaller grips on it.

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/09/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had an older one for a number of years (the lower barrel not attached) and it is one of the few handguns I own that reminds me I should shoot better... As shown it is with the shorter barrel that was bought on close-out from Midway maybe ten years ago. It took a minor bit of fitting and shoots just as well. The shorty is D&T for optics which is really why I bought it. It has not seen optics but should given my eyesight these days. Yeah, crap photo but made answering a different question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks everyone - I will keep my eyes open for one.

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy
Thanks everyone - I will keep my eyes open for one.

My son got one of the new ones early last year, and other than having an issue with the rear sight getting loose, his has been quite reliable. It shoots SK Standard Plus extremely well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 41 I bought new in 97. It had the worse machine burrs I've ever seen on machined parts. It was obviously cut with dull tools. The pistol didn't work. I returned it not once but TWICE to S&W who did absolutely nothing to repair it. After sitting for nearly two decades I finally got after it with a set of jeweler files and after some time and several attempts finally have a pistol that works reliably.

Just a few of the issues:
Burrs on the slide so bad when coming forward the extractor struck the bolt face.
Burrs on the slide causing it to kick up and strike the rear tang below the sight.
Burrs on the slide stop (stamped part) so bad they held out the stop and ran against the slide causing it to run canted and jams
The pistol never ran but a couple shells between jams.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.