Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike78
I still do not understand why Ruger abandoned the Hawkeye in the stainless/plastic stocks and blued/walnut. They were the best feeling, rendition of the 77 action. Ruger really messed up in my opinion.

A Ruger American is not something I would take on a hunt outside my backyard

The different models of the Hawkeye will be back.

Ruger has a habit of not flooding the market with the same offerings year after year.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by ERK
They are making what most people are wanting to buy. It’s business. Most of the rifles on the shelves are 6.5 creedmore. Apparently they sell because the stores are ordering the hell out of them. Edk

Nope. My shelves are still full of those rifles. Customers tell you what they want and we hear it daily…and they don’t want the new stuff they’re pumping out. Not everyone wants a camo budget rifle in the color of the week.

The outrageous prices on we all see on Ruger 77’s, Hawkeye’s, 700’s, New Haven 70’s, Kimber’s and Fieldcraft’s tell us exactly what everyone is looking for.

Do those still making rifles have an answer? Or is their plan to keep giving us junk until we finally succumb to mediocrity?

I wish I knew. I do think there are some guys involved in making major decisions that shouldn’t be in their role. I understand profitability as a business owner, but I also they can’t quantify the loss in sales if the correct product isn’t in the market.

This all goes back a few years, but rifle sales were lagging. All gun sales lag when an administration isn’t threatening to take your guns. Budget guns were still making a huge dent in the market, as were precision rifles. Sales of traditional hunting rifles were slow, but steady. There were several options to choose from then as well. Not that the market was saturated, but everyone had a traditional bolt gun so there were options.

There aren’t many options now and Boards are making decisions for manufacturers. They saw the profitability on budget bolts and precision rifles and decided to beat that horse to death.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Couldn’t agree more with the OP. Yea, the rifle market is hurting. I would be more tempted to buy a Kimber Adirondack or something similar if only they didn’t put those god awful graphic designs on their stocks.

They need to bring back the Montana. We will pay what it’s worth.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And for the love of god, can manufacturers stop putting threads on the end of every damned barrel they send out? Guns are supposed to be loud and have recoil. If you can’t handle that, perhaps you should take up basket weaving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
And for the love of god, can manufacturers stop putting threads on the end of every damned barrel they send out? Guns are supposed to be loud and have recoil. If you can’t handle that, perhaps you should take up basket weaving.

Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look like the knot in the middle of a dogs di..ick!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ky221
Had issues just locating a wood/blue 30-06. Interesting times.

Even though I didn't need it I just purchased a S&W Model 1500 (Howa) off GB for just over 600 and it has a beautiful custom classic style stock with steel widow's peak buttplate and skeleton pistol grip cap) with all screw heads aligned worth at least ($2-3$k) to build it now. No flaws, just a beautiful rifle. I will not buy the new plastic rifles. I think the gun manufacturers are being run by the marketing guys and bean counters. Seems whatever comes out in a new caliber sells like hotcakes until the owners see some new whizbang cartridge released. I also believe it's a generational gap because old guys like me (73) have experienced the finer firearms in life. I would take the Howa over a M700 or any plastic equipped rifles. Of course, Pre-64 Model 70s are always on top. All this is just my opinion so it's not worth anything. BTW, it's in .30-06.

Last edited by model70man; 01/09/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sixpack
I still do not understand why Ruger abandoned the Hawkeye in the stainless/plastic stocks and blued/walnut. They were the best feeling, rendition of the 77 action. Ruger really messed up in my opinion.

+1

Yep

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Couldn’t agree more with the OP. Yea, the rifle market is hurting. I would be more tempted to buy a Kimber Adirondack or something similar if only they didn’t put those god awful graphic designs on their stocks.

They need to bring back the Montana. We will pay what it’s worth.

+1 Those stocks make me gag. sick

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Even if Howa and Weatherby and Remington put walnut stocks on their main offerings, that would be a huge step in the right direction.

And maybe if a decent barreled action didn't cost $700...

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/09/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ERK
They are making what most people are wanting to buy. It’s business. Most of the rifles on the shelves are 6.5 creedmore. Apparently they sell because the stores are ordering the hell out of them. Edk

Nope. My shelves are still full of those rifles. Customers tell you what they want and we hear it daily…and they don’t want the new stuff they’re pumping out. Not everyone wants a camo budget rifle in the color of the week.

The outrageous prices on we all see on Ruger 77’s, Hawkeye’s, 700’s, New Haven 70’s, Kimber’s and Fieldcraft’s tell us exactly what everyone is looking for.

Yes. The producers might want everyone to buy stuff that's easier to mass produce and more profitable, but that doesn't mean everyone actually wants it. The same plastic stuff has been sitting at our Wal-Mart forever for dirt cheap. No one buys it. But a BDL in the box pulls $1000+ online.

Some of this has to do with a false cultural shift. Black Rifle Coffee and Instagram type stuff make it seem like everyone has a huge beard and a Barrett 50. It's a mirage just like the political echo chambers...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that
wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

Pretty well expresses the thoughts I’ve had for quite some time now. I don’t think it just bolt action rifles though. In the US, it seems the biggest era of product innovation and manufacturing has long since passed. For much of my adult life, I’ve found ‘most’ continental firearms (rifles and shotguns) to vastly surpass ‘most’ American-made products in overall quality and workmanship. It’s a generalization which means there are exceptions.

I’m sure there are many reasons for that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Agree on rifles and scopes. The other thing is i'm so FREEKIN sick of every rifle tested being a 6.5 NEEDMORE i could puke.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definitely a used market buyer here.

Paying more then when the rifles were new, but that's the nature of the beast.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ERK

Darrik, so good to see you posting here.

I also like the Ruger 77's, Hawkeye's, 700's etc..

Ruger still shows the Hawkeye Predator on their website in .223 but you cannot find one. I would love to have one or the All-weather Hawkeye

Why are we not seeing many stainless rifles?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Being a fan of the Model 700, I had high hopes that the new owners at Remington would bring the 700's back to it's former glory.............and I'm still holding out hope. But, I'm afraid they're in no hurry to start turning out the good stuff anytime soon.

I wanted a stainless 6.5 CM, so I bought a Howa. I wouldn't rule out buying more Howas either, but even they have been become rather predictable and boring.

Last edited by JamesJr; 01/09/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ERK

I agree

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me…

The heirloom wood stocked rifles that you are going to pass down 3 generations have passed.

SAS,

You see it at the sales counter.

What % of folks are buying guns to shoot 5x ( 5 rounds a year) a year for deer season and then put it up til next year?

The $400 RAR and axis scratch that itch.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
America wants blister pack rifles. Thankfully I have everything I want, none of which have been made in the last few years.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know, just thinking out loud. Has the Golden Age of bolt action rifles as we knew it come and gone?

Nothing desirable from Kimber (Montana, Classic, Classic Select).
Ruger 77’s or Hawkeye’s have mutated into a techno/tactical version that doesn’t appeal to me.
Remington 700’s are shipping in a few forms, but they’re just using up old parts. The new “Alpha” 700 has me interested, but no idea when they’ll ship. I don’t think stainless is an option either.
No Barrett Fieldcraft’s for now and I don’t expect them ever to return in the same form.
Winchester isn’t the old Winchester and they’re not shipping well either.
Tikka still makes a good stainless hunting rifle, but shipments are far and few between.
Christensen has done a decent job keeping rifles on the shelf.
Proof has been shipping a few too.

I know all about the manufacturing challenges. Maybe I’m getting old? Not that I don’t think there is a place for the Ruger American or the Savage Axis, I just think there is a huge segment of the bolt action market that wants something better. It appears as if every manufacturer thinks dipping their stocks in some god awful camouflage and cerakoting the action is innovation.

I know I can’t be the only person out there disgusted with what’s currently available on the market?

Chalk me up as another one who is glad to see you back. I can imagine the past few years have kept you busy.

Christensen has seemed to keep product moving. My own experience and reading around the web tells me they have some QC issues. Bergara has also done a pretty good job of keeping some product out there. Not as good as Christensen, but better than average.

Ruger has lost me. They used to be a favorite. The "frosted" stainless they have used in recent years mars ridiculously easily. I much prefer the stainless they used in the skeleton stock days. Some manufacturers are cerakoting stainless. That's a great big WTF to me.

The bolt action market has turned into a collective yawn for me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I lucked out and acquired an unfired wood & blued Hawkeye in 9.3x62mm. First wood stocked rifle in a very long time. It's staying with me too...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.