Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was sitting along a deer trail yesterday evening with my bow letting my mind run wild as I watched for a late season deer with bad luck.

I let myself get halfway upset. Let me explain. As of now I live in a great state for deer hunters. We have a pretty liberal bag limit that allows us 8 does and 2 bucks if you hunt all the seasons and hunting methods. Quite a bit of public land for those not fortunate enough to have land or be able to afford a lease. Lots of opportunity, some form of deer season is open from October 1 thru Jan 15. A generally mild climate that makes it easy to get out and hunt without specialized gear plus it means good survival for fawn crops. Also we’re fortunate to get to hunt some portion of the rut with either a rifle or muzzleloader or both depending on the deer and the weather. While we don’t kill the multitude of giants like some Midwest states there are some really good bucks killed every year statewide and with some patience it generally isn’t too hard to get a shot at a nice buck if not an absolute monster.

Here’s the part that’s upsetting to me. There’s been a push that’s getting more and more vocal every year, I’m sure you can guess what crowd drives it, to get the wildlife department to make us a one buck state. It’ll improve the buck quality they say. We’ll be killing giants like Iowa and Ohio they say.

But if one looks closer these are the same guys and gals who spend thousands a year on feeders and supplements. Spend hours geeking out on their trail cam pics naming Ol’ Bentbrow and talking about management bucks. The same people who shoot Ravin crossbows that will put 3 bolts in as many inches at 100 yards. The guys who are using the smokeless muzzleloaders during “primitive” season that shoot 2” groups at 300 yards.

Not that my way is any more noble than theirs but when I bow hunt it’s with a recurve or longbow. Primitive season for me involves a sidelock muzzleloader with iron sights that I’m pretty confident in shooting out to about 70 yards. My standard of a “trophy” when using these weapons is not quite so stringent as I hold myself to during rifle season. Nobody makes me hunt this way, I enjoy it. But if they get their way I won’t be able to shoot a buck like the half rack one I missed with my longbow last week if I tagged one during the rifle season.

I guess this was all just to vent and say that I hate how competitive hunting has become with the advent of social media and cell cams, and the like. When I was a kid we had much lower bag limits but we could still shoot a buck with every method of take. And only the disabled were allowed the use of a crossbow. Optics of any type weren’t allowed on muzzleloaders. Nobody does anything the hard way anymore.

The wildlife department wants, practically begs us, to shoot does. 95 percent of guys won’t, period. Most people don’t eat deer or only do so grudgingly if it’s jerky or summer sausage so I don’t see this movement helping thin the does out. I just hope some egghead up there doesn’t get the idea this will help get people to shoot does.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen, brotha.'

It's the same "QDM" crowd which has pushed for antler restrictions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree on the "competitive" aspect.

25 years or longer ago we just knew deer by 6, 8, 10 or however many points they had, nowadays its how many inches.

I have fallen into the trap in the last handful or so of years passing on several deer that even 15 years ago I would have tripped the trigger on without a second thought.

Probably start poking a few does and maybe even a smaller buck with my bow or front stuffer this year as we are closing on a piece of ground in 6 weeks. I won't have another landowner telling me how big of a deer or which deer need killed or need to let go.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/09/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guess we all hunt for different reasons and have our own way of doing things. I just get so put off by the score [bleep] and now they’re trying to change the way I’m allowed to hunt for their “benefit”. I know several guys, good friends even, who when it comes to talking deer hunting every buck seen or killed has a class, “ oh did you see the buck Joe shot, pretty nice 155” class”. My dad, who has a stack of racks thrown into a heap in his barn that would make lots of guys cream their jeans, has just started telling them they sound like morons when they pipe up with the inches lingo.

Like everything else in life people want it to be as easy as possible to win, succeed, or be the best.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And I have no problem at all letting a buck walk if I don’t think he’s big enough or he doesn’t turn my crank. Don’t get me wrong I’m not ground checking everything with antler above the hairline. I like to shoot nice bucks and usually get a pretty good one with a rifle most years. I even passed an easy shot with my recurve for the first time ever this year because it was a button buck. And I guess it doesn’t make any sense after doing that but I’d happily smoke a forkie tomorrow evening when I’m sitting with my longbow.

I just think it’s BS for the crowd who primarily uses the most high tech methods and gear to decide that it’s now too easy to kill a buck using that kind of tech so let’s make the limit one buck so we’ll have bigger bucks to kill with our high zoot gear.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are 100% spot on.

It used to be that if you shot a deer with a bow, it was really something.

Now with all the deer farming, technology, and habituation taking place. It is too easy to shoot a deer with a bow.

Unfortunately, the only way to measure dick size is by measuring antler inches.

I have angered many people by stating that I hunt for me, not for anyone else. I shoot what I like, and like what I shoot. Sometimes I focus on mature deer, sometimes meat for the freezer, and sometimes for sanity.

I love to hunt, love to eat venison, and love the outdoors.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Count me IN guys. I agree 100%

I’m not a trophy hunter even tho I like to shoot
the best bucks I have an opportunity to kill.

Personally I won’t shoot fawns or yearling deer/bucks.
We also have the 3 pt on 1 side rule SO fawns & yearlings normally aren’t legal anyway.

I DO kill Does, they are the OVEN fawns are cooked in. Around me, we have Many more Does than bucks so the ratio is out of whack.

We EAT venison not antlers so Does are fair game.

I agree about the double standard using modern
firearms/cartridges in Primitive weapon seasons.
It’s not fair AFAIC.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/10/22.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I live in a 1 buck state.

Doesn't bother me, the supposed reduced opportunity.

We have doe tags and limit is by county.
Reg tags, plus doe tags, I can kill 6 deer (with 1 being a buck) in my main spot.
Can hunt other counties to get more antlerless.

Im older, haven't killed the numbers many here have.........but honestly, I just don't want to kill that many deer.
Hell its hard enough to drop the hammer or zip a doe.

And most times I hunt recurve.

My current hunting spot does not have the doe numbers to play the "fill all my tags" game.
Some people still blast a few.

I don't get it. My area is low on population. Yet people keep shooting the does.

If one's area has a surplus, by all means, have at it. But my area doesn't.
DNR adjusted county allotment, as it was ridiculously high, and then they adjusted it again.

Too late, damage done.

Buddy got a 145" deer off our spot this yr. I think that decent. First time we ever saw it too, and got him.
Hes taken 2 deer over 140" in 10 yrs and only seen four that big.

They aint common.

Think the 1 buck rule has helped in some areas, and maybe not in others. Prev to the rule, I hunted a great spot and saw bigger deer numbers, and bigger deer racks.
There's more to it than just the DNR rules IMHO.

I have no idea how many folks cheat the system, how many wives/GFs get a lesser buck checked in, and pops gets a bruiser. We have instant check online now.

Anyway, I just hunt and nowadays, 1 buck is enough for me.
Hell it gets harder and harder to pop em.

Getting soft in my old age.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW I run a TC side hammer, had it since '95.
Have grown to dislike BP stuff so won't be "upgrading" LOL

Been running mostly BW recurves since '87. Functional art is what I call em.

These are my choices and IMHO have not been influenced by DNR rules.
Used to be able to take a buck w bow and a buck w gun.
That changed years ago.

Can only take 1 buck during regular seasons.
Can also take one on special hunts (urban zones or mil refuge hunts).

I don't put in for special hunts. Guess am not that hardcore.

The one buck rule doesn't really affect me. The quota on does I think is still too high.
And that IMHO affects the deer hunting experience...........in my area we just don't see very many deer.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/10/22.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I agree Kid. The size stuff put me of trophy hunting in the 90s. I have shot far nicer deer since that time.

Molon Labe
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not much into doing things the hard way anymore. As you age you realize to do what makes you happy. Through the years I've shot some really good Georgia bucks. I enjoy hunting older mature deer with a body weight over 200lbs. It's been 3 years since I've shot a buck, but I've enjoyed seeing lots of deer. We legally get to kill 12 deer so we never go hungry and get plenty of target practice.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't say I disagree with anything you've posted. We all hunt for similar reasons but for dissimilar reasons as well.
And zealots will always be the most motivated and vocal for change to get their way – often to the dismay of the general population.

In my home state (WI), I would actually love to see a one-buck rule instituted – mainly due to intense hunting pressure in the lower half of the state.
We likely have a half-million more hunters for a state roughly the same land area as OK.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see guys here crying to change us from a 2 buck state to a 1 buck state. Funny thing is those crying the loudest usually also post 2 bucks per year to their social media accounts.

I don't care what others do. Just don't tell me what I can do. This state is constantly trying to increase hunter participation. I'm certain 95% of that effort revolves around funding, but regardless. Taking away hunting opportunity is not the way to increase participation IMO.

Along the same lines, I own 78 acres of pretty good deer hunting country so I tend to be a little picky on what I shoot, but I also have a couple friends who only get 1 or 2 weekends a year to hunt if they are lucky. I've always told them they are welcome to shoot any buck they want on my place. Same for any kid who hunts here.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I did things the hard way for many years. It was fun and I enjoyed it. Now that I'm in my mid sixty's I find I just can't do what I used to. Although I hate to admit it. I did and still do a lot of my hunting solo. Its getting harder to climb trees, place stands, cut shooting lanes, etc. I did buy a crossbow last year and I also bought a smokeless muzzleloader. I took one deer with each. At my age easier is better for me. Where I hunt you can legally kill 10 does and 2 Bucks a year. Personally I don't agree with 10 does a year. I think 2 does would be OK. I am still happy to just be able to get out and hunt. Hopefully I'll be able to get the grandkids started deer hunting next year. Then I'll have some little helpers. But there gonna have to cut grandpop some slack.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m for as much choice as possible in how people hunt. QDM is fine on private ground where it’s possible to pick and choose, but those folks can do it just fine on their ground by being selective and leave others to hunt as they please, especially on public land where it can be tough just seeing a deer sometimes after the first few days of the Orange Invasion.

Landowners and clubs can marshal a lot of support for their notions, like the hound hunters in VA. Perhaps the non-affiliated hunters should get organized. Venting on the Web won’t accomplish much.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
I see guys here crying to change us from a 2 buck state to a 1 buck state. Funny thing is those crying the loudest usually also post 2 bucks per year to their social media accounts.

I don't care what others do. Just don't tell me what I can do. This state is constantly trying to increase hunter participation. I'm certain 95% of that effort revolves around funding, but regardless. Taking away hunting opportunity is not the way to increase participation IMO.

You're not wrong in that seeking participation likely does revolve around funding. Without it, there are less programs, enforcement etc.

I know there are zealots whose sole purpose is to produce larger deer but perhaps we can see a bigger picture beyond that self-interested group. One can argue a one-buck rule is not taking away opportunity but rather actualizing it for others; more antlered deer around for a longer period of time gives more opportunity for more people to shoot an antlered deer. Success for more people = more interest = more long-term participation. Like it or not, we need that for our sport.

Obviously different states and regions come with their own special set of circumstances and there isn't a one-size-fits-all remedy. But in many states, the buck-to-doe ratio is severely out of whack and there's never been a solution to make it en vogue to shoot more does to fill the freezer rather than a (or another) buck.

And because we've had it one way for so long doesn't mean it's the right way. I'm surely not saying it's the answer, merely asking we take a look at things as a collective because in the end, no matter where we sit on the subject and how hard we try, we're still all wearing tinted lenses in how it'll affect us individually.

WWP53D
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I let two nice ones get away from me this year playing the score on the hoof game. I should have been shooting deer instead of looking at horns. Next year I am probably going to go on and blast the first 8 or better I see and then get picky, especially on National Forest.

I like the antler restrictions here because we are allowed two bucks. One of them can be whatever, the other has to have 4 on one side. I have seen a nice uptick on the size of racks since they were put in place around 2012-2013. I live in meat hunter central though where people "feed their families" on deer. It keeps the honest ones from blasting the spikes and at least gives them a chance.

When they decided on the antler restrictions, I had brought up a kill a doe any day idea in meetings with the DGIF at the time wildlife manager. They do it for the kids already, why not do it for the adults? I called it a floating doe day. If you can shoot a doe, you kind of don't really have a great reason to shoot a spike in my mind. There are designated antlerless days, but on NF there are only like 2 doe days total in the season in our zone. Makes it a little unfair on a guy with no private and limited days to hunt. I would probably shoot a spike at that point too.

Last edited by Bperdue21; 01/10/22.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a cousin who’s a good guy and a good deer hunter. He rarely kills a buck nowadays and when he does it’s usually with a bow and usually a wall hanger. He’s expressed some support for the one buck movement due to his neighbors being brown down types that shoot any basket rack that comes along. I understand where he’s coming from to an extent. But having hunted in his neighborhood I also doubt it’ll help anything. In that part of the state regulations are not really important to many of the locals, I’ve witnessed one neighbor hunting with a Marlin 336 during muzzleloader season.

Heck with Echeck now I guess I can just do what lots already do and shoot whatever I want and check it in as a doe if I don’t feel like being done buck hunting.

I’m all for increased opportunity, as long as your increase isn’t my decrease. Maybe it’s due to my primarily hunting private land with nobody else hunting it outside of rifle season that skews my viewpoint.

Like I stated earlier I hate the idea of taking every advantage and then suddenly wanting to change the rules to counteract the results of those advantages. Leaves those of us who like the opportunity to do it the harder way out. I’d rather see the state restrict primitive weapons back to actual primitive weapons than to cut the limit on all of us. Heck let them have an unlimited weapon antlerless hunt to use the crossbows and smokeless muzzleloaders if they want to use them and want does killed. Somebody will find a way to corrupt that too I’m sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
Somebody will find a way to corrupt that too I’m sure.

laugh laugh This is true.

In some respects, I sure wish I could revisit the days of my yute - things sure seemed a lot more pure in those days. I am indeed turning into my father. grin

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I didn't get to hunt near as much this season as I typically do, mainly illness. This season still was not unlike many seasons past. I saw a grand total of 29 deer hunting this year, 28 were bucks and one was a yearling doe.

If we went to one buck a year, I'd be out of deer meat by March. I'm typically overrun with doe all summer early fall, yet I seldom see them during rifle season, but I see lots of bucks.

The only thing that would happen if they changed it to 1 buck is to make me an outlaw.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
After dealing with randomly applied antler restriction for several decades on large leases, my wife and I, and usually our son, have had the last 4 years our own 200+/- acres to hunt as we please. Antler restrictions are “ Whatever makes you happy”. A few does have gone down and a couple of spikes. But also going down was a 3 point at least 3 years old and some 7 and 8 pts the same age. This year my wife got the big 3. And I shot a decent 8. Then we watched a lot of small bucks. Still regret letting a 150ish pound 5 point walk as does my wife a big 4 because we actually eat venison. But we were in areas where we knew better was around. Really enjoy having the decision left to us and not some arbitrary number chosen by a dufuss with faulty logic.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like it when the neighbors shoot basket racks.
Being a 1 buck state, theyre done.

See some good ones late season smile

Personally, I like to zip a doe w bow early for good freezer fillin' and then try for a decent buck.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I always tell my buddy and father in law to shoot whatever they feel like dealing with that day. Life is too short to worry about managing wild animals. I plant a few food plots to draw them in, but that’s it. It’s supposed to be fun.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dont care what other people shoot.
Their tag, their hunt.

Do know many that want bigger bucks the easiest way possible, for their own or to keep the neighbor from getting one.

Also know some that want to take deer w home made gear.

I used to shoot a trad bow pretty decent, but had to get a new one of lesser poundage becauss age and injuries are adding up.

Admit I like my scoped rifles a lot too.

Am a bit of a gearhead.

The way I see it.....do whatever keeps it fun.
Straps on the grill is fun in the summer.

Haven't taken a deer in two yrs summer is gonna suck a bit.
Just the way it is.

Due to.low deer numbers Ill have to travel a bit more to put a slick in the freezer next season.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got a new Hoyt set up w Fletchunter, due to injuries.
Like it. Like recurves better LOL

Shot deer w sidehammers and inlines. Grown to dislike them both, but sidehammers are kinda cool.

Revolvers, not an auto or specialty pistol ( yet ).

Shotguns and rifles...boom time is fun.

The hard way......i dunno what that is. Would like to make my own laminate bow some time. Not interested in self bows.

Anymore injuries and weather make going out, staying out....a chore.

Gear isnt the problem.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t think guys like you are a problem Hookeye. You’ve done it the hard way. And for the record I don’t necessarily care if someone wants to use a laser ray gun during the primitive season.

But when use of laser ray guns in the primitive season starts limiting my opportunities due to their effectiveness is when I take issue. I don’t have an issue shooting does, usually do it most years if I don’t have an elk in the freezer. But most of the horn hunter types pushing the one buck change don’t shoot does. They simply want to stop guys from shooting more than one buck to give them a better chance at a monster. Herd health and sustainability isn’t what they’re pushing for.

In reality if it were put into effect it would have about zero effect on my primary hunting area. There is probably less than 5 bucks killed in a roughly 8 square mile roadless area per year anyway. And yes there are some monsters in there and yes it’s private. So no more people will get to hunt it and I won’t have the opportunity to possibly kill one with more than one method of take = the same amount of bucks dying of old age.

Maybe the answer is to enact it on public lands but that’s not the aim of the folks pushing for it either. Their aim is to keep anyone from killing “their” bucks when they aren’t on their place.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don’t think guys like you are a problem Hookeye. You’ve done it the hard way. And for the record I don’t necessarily care if someone wants to use a laser ray gun during the primitive season.

But when use of laser ray guns in the primitive season starts limiting my opportunities due to their effectiveness is when I take issue. I don’t have an issue shooting does, usually do it most years if I don’t have an elk in the freezer. But most of the horn hunter types pushing the one buck change don’t shoot does. They simply want to stop guys from shooting more than one buck to give them a better chance at a monster. Herd health and sustainability isn’t what they’re pushing for.

In reality if it were put into effect it would have about zero effect on my primary hunting area. There is probably less than 5 bucks killed in a roughly 8 square mile roadless area per year anyway. And yes there are some monsters in there and yes it’s private. So no more people will get to hunt it and I won’t have the opportunity to possibly kill one with more than one method of take = the same amount of bucks dying of old age.

Maybe the answer is to enact it on public lands but that’s not the aim of the folks pushing for it either. Their aim is to keep anyone from killing “their” bucks when they aren’t on their place.

And it tastes just like all the strategies of the left. If they want to be vegan then everyone should be vegan. I don't care what anyone eats. I don't care what size buck anyone kills. You eat and kill what makes you happy and I'll do the same. But some people aren't happy unless everyone does things the way they do.

All I want is to be left alone in my remaining years. If I don't want to shoot a doe but do want to shoot a basket rack four point, then that's what I want to do. I don't care of others do or don't want to shoot the same deer. I wish people had enough respect to let everyone be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Hard way" "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" The OP comes across as some sort of purist and he has a father that would call me a moron. Interesting perspectives.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kid you are spot on. hunting has been turned in to a competitive sport. it was not mint to be in my op.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Doesn't matter to me what the other guy wants to
do. I don't bother them and I expect them to leave
me be and let me do whatever I want to as long
as it's legal

Hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine

I get a bunch of poop throwed at me from the
" It'll be XXXXX in XXXX years " people.
Well everything is going against a free ranging
free roaming deer. Not just from the guy wanting
to fill freezer bags, but parasites, predators,
poachers/road hunters, fighting with other deer,
road kill, etc. etc.
IMO it's a blessed miracle that a free ranging
free roaming deer of either sex makes it to
5 or 6 years.
About the only way to be assured that any particular
deer makes it year after year is to high fence
a few hundred acres and pour the feed and supplements
to your penned up deer and wait until one grows
the way you want it to

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
"Hard way" "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" The OP comes across as some sort of purist and he has a father that would call me a moron. Interesting perspectives.

I don’t mean to come across that way. As I said I hunt the way I like because I like it. If someone wants to use a department approved shoulder fired heat seeking arrow launcher during archery season I’m fine with that. What I take issue with is the high tech crowd pushing for legislation to cut down my hunting time, bag limit, opportunity etc so they can maybe shoot bigger bucks. If everyone had to hunt using more difficult means then there probably wouldn’t be as many bucks being killed, like 25 years ago. What is the point of a primitive weapons season if the weapons aren’t primitive?

If this were to pass and suddenly we’re covered up with giant bucks will someone decide we need to go to one buck every two years in the hopes of even bigger ones? I don’t know but I wouldn’t put it past the inches crowd.

As far as my dad, he might call you an idiot if every buck you refer to has a score attached. I agree with him to an extent as it seems that nobody just killed a big one or a really nice buck any more or even a middling sized 8 pointer. They’re all 170 class bucks or 162 nontypicals or dink 120s. Just seems to take some of the personality out of the conversation to normal people. We have a buddy who’ll be talking about the 147 inch class buck that ran across the highway on his way to work, and that’s no exaggeration, and yes my old man tells him he sounds like a moron when he starts in on that and yes they’re still good friends.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I hate it when someone says a 150 class or what ever. To me it is demeaning to the sport and above all to the animal.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One easy way to improve the size of our game is to eliminate scopes. Tree stands, and game cams could also go.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I hate it when someone says a 150 class or what ever. To me it is demeaning to the sport and above all to the animal.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dont see it that way.
Its just a mention of size.

" Eight pointer " isnt super detail.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Honestly, the hard way can be so simple as to offer advantages.

My first trad deer was shot on the trot up close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was sitting along a deer trail yesterday evening with my bow letting my mind run wild as I watched for a late season deer with bad luck.

I let myself get halfway upset. Let me explain. As of now I live in a great state for deer hunters. We have a pretty liberal bag limit that allows us 8 does and 2 bucks if you hunt all the seasons and hunting methods. Quite a bit of public land for those not fortunate enough to have land or be able to afford a lease. Lots of opportunity, some form of deer season is open from October 1 thru Jan 15. A generally mild climate that makes it easy to get out and hunt without specialized gear plus it means good survival for fawn crops. Also we’re fortunate to get to hunt some portion of the rut with either a rifle or muzzleloader or both depending on the deer and the weather. While we don’t kill the multitude of giants like some Midwest states there are some really good bucks killed every year statewide and with some patience it generally isn’t too hard to get a shot at a nice buck if not an absolute monster.

Here’s the part that’s upsetting to me. There’s been a push that’s getting more and more vocal every year, I’m sure you can guess what crowd drives it, to get the wildlife department to make us a one buck state. It’ll improve the buck quality they say. We’ll be killing giants like Iowa and Ohio they say.

But if one looks closer these are the same guys and gals who spend thousands a year on feeders and supplements. Spend hours geeking out on their trail cam pics naming Ol’ Bentbrow and talking about management bucks. The same people who shoot Ravin crossbows that will put 3 bolts in as many inches at 100 yards. The guys who are using the smokeless muzzleloaders during “primitive” season that shoot 2” groups at 300 yards.

Not that my way is any more noble than theirs but when I bow hunt it’s with a recurve or longbow. Primitive season for me involves a sidelock muzzleloader with iron sights that I’m pretty confident in shooting out to about 70 yards. My standard of a “trophy” when using these weapons is not quite so stringent as I hold myself to during rifle season. Nobody makes me hunt this way, I enjoy it. But if they get their way I won’t be able to shoot a buck like the half rack one I missed with my longbow last week if I tagged one during the rifle season.

I guess this was all just to vent and say that I hate how competitive hunting has become with the advent of social media and cell cams, and the like. When I was a kid we had much lower bag limits but we could still shoot a buck with every method of take. And only the disabled were allowed the use of a crossbow. Optics of any type weren’t allowed on muzzleloaders. Nobody does anything the hard way anymore.

The wildlife department wants, practically begs us, to shoot does. 95 percent of guys won’t, period. Most people don’t eat deer or only do so grudgingly if it’s jerky or summer sausage so I don’t see this movement helping thin the does out. I just hope some egghead up there doesn’t get the idea this will help get people to shoot does.

Let me see if I can recap, you don’t like compound bows, crossbows (especially Raven crossbows), modern muzzleloaders, smokeless muzzleloaders, trail cams, all things “high tech”, guys who can count inches of antler and you want to kill at least 2 immature bucks every year?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Internet, cell phone apps....4wd w AC/ heat/ cruise.

My state asked if we wanted an early trad bow season ( maybe part of it was non inline BP too, dont remember ).

Personally i think the deer get enough pressure and I dont like hunting when things are green.

I voted no to a special season in Sept.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader

Let me see if I can recap, you don’t like compound bows, crossbows (especially Raven crossbows), modern muzzleloaders, smokeless muzzleloaders, trail cams, all things “high tech”, guys who can count inches of antler and you want to kill at least 2 immature bucks every year?

No, that is not what he's saying at all. Quite the contrary.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Young guy 2 farms over arrowed a 160 w compound.
My buddy shot a 145 w gun
We knew the one my bud got was frequenting the area and I really wanted to get him w a stickbow.

Alas, injuries shut down my season.
And when I did get out a couple times in gun, I never saw an inch of antler .

Others saa that buck in the area and set up on routes to our little spot. Pretty much shut down all travel from 2 sides.

But that one day he tried to slip through a pinch point and my bud was waiting smile

Theres one lesser sized thats made it ( that we know of ).
Dunno if he took over that area or was just passing through
Maybe Ill get a P&Y w recurve in 2022

Limbs still havent show up for new bow

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

No, that is not what he's saying at all. Quite the contrary.

Yeah, not what I got out of it, at all.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Well i havent shot a buck in the last 2 yrs.
Nothing for the grill this summer 😭

Id like to whack a P&Y but if my belly overrides my brain it could be another 100" 8 point.

They taste pretty good.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well I'm in my sixty's now, and yes I have a Ravin R10 took a 3 1/2 8 pt with it this fall, best buck I saw all year. We have the 3 pt per side rule here too. Got him on my buds land he has some small food plots. But I mostly hunt National forest land. Picking are slim. I used to hunt with long bows than self bows, till I couldn't pull them, then went to wheel bows, than to the cross bow, I'd rather shoot one with the Xbow and kill it than wound one with a compound. Same with guns hunted, with pistols alot, an old 1886 winny till I couldn't see the sight well any more. But still hunt with a scoped lever gun, or a single shot. I hope to put 2-3 deer a year in the freezer as we eat mostly version. 2bucks here and this year 10 does, I was lucky to shoot a small doe in the late season this year, but did it with a rifle made in 1917. But your right all about the score anymore, even the kids just want to shoot a big buck, when I was young it was a thrill to take a doe. And we had to be 14 to hunt deer. lots changed, not for the better.

Last edited by saddlering; 01/10/22.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I wish my youngest was healthy enough to hunt.
Would let her fill the freezer with whatever she chose to shoot.

She cant handle cold and cant shoot a bow. Risk of retina detach w recoil....so gun is screwed. I told her Id buy her a ground blind, heater and an x bow w tripod if she wanted to go

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I'd suggest reading it again without out being triggered

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike78

When the OP says "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" just what does that mean to You?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Saddlering That is just the problem right there. Not the fun of the hunt, but the size of the buck. We must compete in everything or it is not worth while.. So sad.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

When the OP says "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" just what does that mean to You?

If that triggers you it should also trigger the guy that typed it, since it would include him. When some says "Nobody likes fruitcake" I know what they are saying.

It's more clear in the original post.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

It also means to me that you are easily triggered, but I guess that's why you live in a liberal state.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My intent was to say that technology has made it easier to kill deer. The crowd that largely takes advantage of this technology desires to lower the limit on deer to achieve their goals. I feel like the same objective could be reached by limiting the technology that’s legal to be used while not treading on anyone’s opportunity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It also means to me that you are easily triggered, but I guess that's why you live in a liberal state.
What state are you hiding in?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My intent was to say that technology has made it easier to kill deer. The crowd that largely takes advantage of this technology desires to lower the limit on deer to achieve their goals. I feel like the same objective could be reached by limiting the technology that’s legal to be used while not treading on anyone’s opportunity.

Personally, I can’t see where having a better gun or bow or having a trail cam has much helped me kill more big deer. I also like having more than one any sex tag. Our doe to buck ratio is 7:1 and most bucks are killed at 1.5 yrs in my area I believe. I’d be in favor of a ratio closer to 1:1 as nature intended (however that goal might be achieved).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WWP53D
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup more like a contest now than a hunt! I can still have a great hunt, even with out a kill! But nice to put meat in the freezer, from time to time. Lol I didn't even bow hunt the 1st 2 weeks as it was hot out for October.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yup more like a contest now than a hunt! I can still have a great hunt, even with out a kill! But nice to put meat in the freezer, from time to time. Lol I didn't even bow hunt the 1st 2 weeks as it was hot out for October.

Yup, i dont get wound up about bow til Halloween.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They used to call me

“ John Doe fever!”

I get way more adrenaline rush shooting does than a Bigger buck! Seems when I really want it ,I calm down.

Now I look for does without fawns……….my wife don’t like orphans.

For male deer I can be hell on dinks. Medium sized ones I try to let walk. I hate the competition part of hunting….bums me out.

One of the best sayings I heard is as follows:

“If you only open your mouth to eat it………..nobody gonna judge u at all.”

Funny thing about Idaho and elk hunting is they …….

IE fish and game keep meowing about low bull / cow ratios….not enough bulls……

Yet they got OTC spike tags.

Brilliant ! just freaking brilliant.

Last edited by Angus1895; 01/11/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Saddlering That is just the problem right there. Not the fun of the hunt, but the size of the buck. We must compete in everything or it is not worth while.. So sad.

The size of the buck COULD be a competition thing with other hunters.

Its not mandatory to score or enter ones deer.

Of course there are big deer that will never get put in a book.
Some folks dont care about that stuff.

Ive put the tape to every deer Ive killed thats looked to be 100" or better. Simply out of curiosity.
That has allowed me to judge deer pretty well.

Some have no sense of scale. Had a guy say his video of a buck, it was 170. i said 120. It got hit on the road and guy brought the rack over, we called mr camcorder.
It was 120 by the tape

My buddy shot a good one. I tend to be conservative when guessing. Went over and looked at his buck and said 150 to 155. It netted 154.

I have a mid 160s net on the wall so maintain some sense of scale.

Compete, sure I do.
Against ME.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/11/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to see my part of Louisiana have a 2 buck limit, as it's hard to even see a decent 3-4 year old buck per season in a lot of areas. We can kill 6 deer a year, with up to 4 bucks (used to be 6 bucks!). As a result, I see loads of young baskets each fall, but a lot of them get eliminated before they ever make it to150lbs. If a guy in the piney woods of north LA wants to kill a couple of decent 8-10pt bucks each season, he's got to be crafty/smart/dedicated and spend a lot of time in the woods to make it happen, unless he's maybe hunting a tract with no surrounding hunting pressure. That's rare around here. Considering all this, my goal is to fill the freezer up with does and maybe catch a decent buck in the process. I average a buck every other year, and I imagine a lot of guys from midwestern states wouldn't even get out of bed for that. The established deer hunting culture in my area has been "If it's brown, it's down" for so long that a lot of folks will never pass up a 13" wide 8-point and see what he'll become because the know the neighbor will shoot him tomorrow. I wish it wasn't the case.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive eaten 13" wide 8 points.
Theyre delicious.

We have some 150 plus class deer around.
Little spots of woods w ag, and roads, and pressure.

Most around us are of the brown its down and as a result the overall deer pop is low.

We have poaching too.

Its a tough gig
Weve killed 4 deer over 125" off our little spot.

In ten yrs. Hell I never saw an antler this past season and have had other seasons like that there.

Its not a great spot, but can be decent.
I have hunted excellent ground where back in the 80s you could damn near throw a rock and kill a 100" 8 point.

See herds of deer, in season. Seen over 40 a day in gun.

Hell, i saw the same 4 deer in bow and gun this past yr.
My buddy saw them, a 3 pt and the 145" he shot

Its hard to burn vac time freezing for such low % hunting.
Esp after having hunted better ground.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I may buy a camper and hit state ground for a couple does.
Open up my options, fill.my freezer early.

Maybe go out of state.

Sitting in a little thicket aint as much fun as many claim.
Some people go to the woods and hope to kill a deer

And thats fine.

I go to kill a deer, that happens to be in the woods.

Kind of the same, but focus a little different.
Not sure which is better because it seems more like work than fun anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is an unlimited number of ways to look at all this, and an unlimited number of ways that people think things should be done, based on what they feel is important.

Some people just want to shoot a deer, any deer, to eat or have their family along for, etc. They don't care one bit about antlers. See Idaho's Owyhee 2 point only units. Holy hell do those 2x2s get slaughtered by Boise people and lots of trophy hunters bitch about it because they want to see those 2x2s grow up. Some of those 2x2 shooters use the most high tech equipment available because that is what they like to do and are not really into trophy deer. In more trophy oriented areas with point restrictions, those who just want to shoot any deer for the meat often have to pass a lot of does and bucks that they'd love to shoot before finding a legal one. They bitch about that, because it is not what they want. Limiting equipment capability is another method of management, in some states at least.

The game departments need to manage herds for all these interest groups, and with some exceptions they generally do a good job IMO, all things considered. It is a version of multiple-use management. I don't always agree with the methods used, but that is OK. Some areas out west end up being "sacrifice" areas for the meat hunters, and others turn into trophy areas. It sucks when a person's favorite spot is not in an area in which the management scheme aligns with their desires, but you're never going to please everyone. This thread is proof of that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bingo 4;da win!!,!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is nothing more noble than providing food for your family.

I had a go around with a guy at the game meeting some years ago. He wanted all sorts of extra special seasons, and rack size regs. When talking with him, he hadn't kept a deer in 20 years. He doesn't eat deer, he doesn't like it. He donates to food banks, so that makes him a hero.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I had a go around with a guy at the game meeting some years ago. He wanted all sorts of extra special seasons, and rack size regs. When talking with him, he hadn't kept a deer in 20 years. He doesn't eat deer, he doesn't like it. He donates to food banks, so that makes him a hero.

I apologize, the first time I asked you what state you are hiding in, I should have said please.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I apologize, the first time I asked you what state you are hiding in, I should have said please.

One that didn't vote Biden. I'm sorry you are so easily triggered

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You read this

And this

I guess we all hunt for different reasons and have our own way of doing things. I just get so put off by the score [bleep] and now they’re trying to change the way I’m allowed to hunt for their “benefit”. I know several guys, good friends even, who when it comes to talking deer hunting every buck seen or killed has a class, “ oh did you see the buck Joe shot, pretty nice 155” class”. My dad, who has a stack of racks thrown into a heap in his barn that would make lots of guys cream their jeans, has just started telling them they sound like morons when they pipe up with the inches lingo.

Like everything else in life people want it to be as easy as possible to win, succeed, or be the best.

And this

And I have no problem at all letting a buck walk if I don’t think he’s big enough or he doesn’t turn my crank. Don’t get me wrong I’m not ground checking everything with antler above the hairline. I like to shoot nice bucks and usually get a pretty good one with a rifle most years. I even passed an easy shot with my recurve for the first time ever this year because it was a button buck. And I guess it doesn’t make any sense after doing that but I’d happily smoke a forkie tomorrow evening when I’m sitting with my longbow.

I just think it’s BS for the crowd who primarily uses the most high tech methods and gear to decide that it’s now too easy to kill a buck using that kind of tech so let’s make the limit one buck so we’ll have bigger bucks to kill with our high zoot gear.

And this

I have a cousin who’s a good guy and a good deer hunter. He rarely kills a buck nowadays and when he does it’s usually with a bow and usually a wall hanger. He’s expressed some support for the one buck movement due to his neighbors being brown down types that shoot any basket rack that comes along. I understand where he’s coming from to an extent. But having hunted in his neighborhood I also doubt it’ll help anything. In that part of the state regulations are not really important to many of the locals, I’ve witnessed one neighbor hunting with a Marlin 336 during muzzleloader season.

Heck with Echeck now I guess I can just do what lots already do and shoot whatever I want and check it in as a doe if I don’t feel like being done buck hunting.

I’m all for increased opportunity, as long as your increase isn’t my decrease. Maybe it’s due to my primarily hunting private land with nobody else hunting it outside of rifle season that skews my viewpoint.

Like I stated earlier I hate the idea of taking every advantage and then suddenly wanting to change the rules to counteract the results of those advantages. Leaves those of us who like the opportunity to do it the harder way out. I’d rather see the state restrict primitive weapons back to actual primitive weapons than to cut the limit on all of us. Heck let them have an unlimited weapon antlerless hunt to use the crossbows and smokeless muzzleloaders if they want to use them and want does killed. Somebody will find a way to corrupt that too I’m sure.

And this

And all you can get out of any of it, along with posts from other people is to be triggered by the below.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't be an azzhat.

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SKane

Don't be an azzhat.

I apologize. I'm just surprised that so called men get so easily triggered over one sentence and are not willing to understand the spirit of the post.

It is seriously no different than everything the liberals get upset about. Very sad times

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't be an azzhat.

I apologize. I'm just surprised that so called men get so easily triggered over one sentence and are not willing to understand the spirit of the post.

It is seriously no different than everything the liberals get upset about. Very sad times

I understand the overall point of the thread, but he is insinuating that I and many hunters are morons and idiots for talking points, spreads, classes and so on. And all you can bring to the table is politics into the subject, my state versus your state, and I am just surprised that so called men can't even identify the state there in.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Don't be an azzhat.

I understand the overall point of the thread, but he is insinuating that I and many hunters are morons and idiots for talking points, spreads, classes and so on. And all you can bring to the table is politics into the subject, my state versus your state, and I am just surprised that so called men can't even identify the state there in.

No, you are inferring it.

I'm sorry are too stupid to understand the difference between insinuate and infer, but that's a fault of your up bringing.

The fact that you are so quickly triggered, shows the kind of liberal ideology that is ingrained in you..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's funny how the fake was so easily triggered.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CRS
You are 100% spot on.

I love to hunt, love to eat venison, and love the outdoors.

+1000

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem I am facing is since I been planting a lot of trees etc.

The freaking deer been getting tame. I started naming some of em. There is one whitetail that leaves her twins with me it seems to baby sit them.

Getting real hard to wanna eat them

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand the overall point of the thread, but he is insinuating that I and many hunters are morons and idiots for talking points, spreads, classes and so on.

Apparently you are.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't be an azzhat.

In light of the latest intel on Roundoak..... appears we can add arrogant prick to the list....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The numbers of license sales often changes the situation
.Pa used to sell around 900,000 before antler restrictions and their war on Does. Now it is more like 700,000

Something obviously isn’t working. Which depends on their goal. Which is to increase stick hunting, while weeding out the rifle shooters who are fed up with increasing posted land.

They are on a path to ruin the Pa Deer hunting tradition for the future. Kids are not going to tolerate busting ass to see a couple Deer, then not being able to shoot because it doesn’t have enough points.

Last edited by battue; 12/02/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Remember, if you are one in charge of doing something for a GC, then you have to act like you are.

Just recently read the regulations on a sign at a local gamelands. There are at least 40. “You can or can not do this pursuant to Act 648 subsection A 24 of the State code listed in the EPA code, page 207 B14. Exceptions being…”

Last edited by battue; 12/02/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd imagine his father would call you something worse than a moron. We are surrounded by hunt clubs and most of the clubs I sell them corn and plant food plots for them. Sometimes it feels like I'm giving bullets to the enemy, I know of 14 bucks that were shot within 200yds of our property lines. Sometimes it sucks when you try to manage bucks without a high fence. People are not going to follow the law if they don't agree with it.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I'd imagine his father would call you something worse than a moron. We are surrounded by hunt clubs and most of the clubs I sell them corn and plant food plots for them. Sometimes it feels like I'm giving bullets to the enemy, I know of 14 bucks that were shot within 200yds of our property lines. Sometimes it sucks when you try to manage bucks without a high fence. People are not going to follow the law if they don't agree with it.
Unless you have several thousand acres and neighbors have same "management" plan as you there is absolutely no way to manage.

Deer roam too much and have no sense of property lines/boundaries.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
The numbers of license sales often changes the situation
.Pa used to sell around 900,000 before antler restrictions and their war on Does. Now it is more like 700,000

Something obviously isn’t working. Which depends on their goal. Which is to increase stick hunting, while weeding out the rifle shooters who are fed up with increasing posted land.

They are on a path to ruin the Pa Deer hunting tradition for the future. Kids are not going to tolerate busting ass to see a couple Deer, then not being able to shoot because it doesn’t have enough points.
At least antler restrictions here do not apply to youth hunters.

They are exempt from the 4 points to a side rule.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Everyone has become a trophy hunter. Those old Bill Jordan shows were classic hunting then it got crazy with the hunting industry. There used to be a select few who hunted and did it for pure enjoyment. I remember back in the mid 90s listening to the cowboys and packers on a Walkman radio while waiting for a deer. Now it's cornpiles and cash. Whoever has the most ground, which no you prolly have to own it, and the fattest checkbook normally get the biggest buck. It's what it has come to. Hard way, easy way, any way, what ever gets you in the deer woods I guess. But the boasting of inches I'm sure everyone is guilty of, including me. But that meat taste better with an open sighted rifle or a recurve without the aid of wheels on a bow or a corn pile. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.