Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I normally post after the regular rifle season in early December, but since we had a longer January antlerless season this year I waited until we wrapped up our season today...with Layne getting one more doe to fill the freezer! Overall it was a good season. Layne and I got in our annual father-son deer hunt early in the season, but with temps reaching the mid-70's that afternoon I was really ok with not getting a deer that day. Still fun to get out together, though.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A little different this year as Grace is now a freshman in the engineering program at Kansas State University, so we didn't have as many hunts together, but she was able to get a doe the first weekend.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

While Grace and I were in one spot my wife and Layne were hunting together about 1/2 mile away, so it adds to the fun of not just watching for deer in front of us, but listening for a shot in their direction, too. They shot first this year, with a text message following from Kelley shortly after...got my buck!
[Linked Image]

I got in an evening hunt or two, but saw more coyotes than deer on several outings.
[Linked Image]

The second weekend Layne and I hunted on my favorite spot out on "the hill" and saw a pretty sunrise on Saturday morning, but no deer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On Sunday morning we switched it up and Layne joined Mom down in the trees while I was up on the hill. No deer sighted for me, but I did hear two shots from down in the trees as Layne took two nice does for the freezer with virtually identical shot placement on both. He said after all of the pictures I showed him in magazines as he was learning and I'd ask where he should shoot it is easy to pick a spot.
[Linked Image]

To be continued...

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/09/22.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice!!

Molon Labe
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Three days after the regular season ended we had a VERY weird weather day for mid-December...mid-70's in the afternoon, with winds increasing throughout the afternoon as a "derecho" swept across the state, bringing 80-100 mph straight line winds across a widespread area. Four power poles were snapped right where we walk in to hunt "the hill", with downed lines then starting a fire that rapidly burned a three mile long path across the pastures. Fortunately, no homes/structures were lost in this fire, but our hunting spot was hit hard as the fire swept through. In the last photo Layne is standing where we normally sit with rifles on Bog Pods:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This area will grow back and we will do some tree trimming to clear out a few areas, but with "the hill" out for the January season we shifted focus back down into the trees. Grace and I got in a hunt early in the week, but the deer had other plans that morning. Yesterday Layne and I went back out to try again. We didn't put any meat on the table on this hunt as we passed on the only deer we had in range...a little button buck that spent close to 30 minutes with us! He was a little skittish at first, but then decided we weren't anything to worry about, so he proceeded to wander around and nibble on anything he could find. (We don't have corn or anything out, this is just a narrow wooded area that deer pass through. Several times he approached to less than 10 yards, including right in line with where Layne had set up his Bog Pod:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Early this morning we were back for one last try as season closes today in our area. With colder weather and north winds I thought deer should be moving down in the trees and they were. Layne showed good patience as a he waited for a good broadside shot on a nice doe. This rifle is a Remington 700 in .280 Rem. and with handloaded 140 gr. Accubonds it is becoming one of his favorites.
[Linked Image]

Where's the picture of my deer? Unfortunately, I missed my chance. Was out at the hill on a morning hunt by myself during the regular season and had a quick opportunity at a nice buck across the draw and up the hill a ways, but in trying to get on him I missed seeing a branch across his vitals. I either deflected off the branch or just plain missed; either way, the result was the same. I searched, but no blood or hair where he was standing. Hopefully I will get another chance at him next year.

Thankful for the friends/land owners who allow us to enjoy family time outdoors and give us the chance to put some meat in the freezer. We share some of the meat and jerky with them, too, so they stopped by this afternoon and they now have some home-grown protein in their freezer, too. 'til next year... smile

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/09/22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good deal, man, "'til next year..." smile

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on a successful season

Hunt...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I always look forward to this thread.

Congrats to all.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice pic's. looks like you had a good season, Its nice to be able to spend time in the outdoors with the family. Good for you. Congrats on your season.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on another interesting year and a freezer full of venison!

As dry as it's been in that region, that fire sure as heck could have been a lot worse. shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, guys.

Originally Posted by SKane
Congrats on another interesting year and a freezer full of venison!

As dry as it's been in that region, that fire sure as heck could have been a lot worse. shocked

Thanks, Scott. Yes, it was an interesting year and the fire situation could have been much worse. Fortunately, a wheat field on the west edge of the little town nearby helped get the fire stopped before it had a chance to cause major problems. In NW Kansas, unfortunately, they weren't as lucky as a fire grew to over 400,000 acres and destroyed a number of homes and lots of livestock. Sad situation. Congrats on your success in Kansas again, too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats on a great family hunting season!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pictures and time with family is the best.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.