Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by high_country_
I'd have dumped a lot more air myself.

I'd have used a shovel and got the hell out of there before the extra foot of snow showed up. What a dumb ass going in there alone without enough gear to get out.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by irfubar
That made for a good y tube episode, but a hand full of experienced jeepers could have got him out.
Those snow cats are pretty cool, but they have limits also, I once buried a Bombardier snow cat (that would make Matt's look like a toy) on top of a mountain in Montana, the hole I dug was big enough for several Jeeps to fit in. It was during a blizzard and we had to abandon it till the next day, took two snow cats to extricate it. I was grooming ski slopes at the time

I'd of drove it out of there.

Could've shoveled an area clear big enough to turn it around.
Pack a nice little ramp in to get back on top of the snow and haul azz early in the morning when the snow was most setup.

This beast was 10' wide , when you got off the packed and groomed track, instead of moving forward you went down..... the hole was epic..... oh and this was at 3am.... in a blizzard. I radioed another snow cat to get me , but they could not make it to me for 3hrs as there was a blizzard happening with zero visibility.... that is how I got in the predicament in the first place

I was speaking of the Jeep in the video, lol...

Ooops.... I agree Jeff, I would have driven the Jeep out also.

Originally Posted by Azshooter
I can't help but think the super wide tires that jeep had was the problem when trying to drive in deep snow. Wide tires don't dig through the snow tending to float on top because of the low pounds per square inch on the contact patch. Those super wide tires look "bad" and IMO only work well in sand after deflating them. If the owner had chains that might have helped too.

As for skinny tires out performing wide tires in the snow , that is an old misconception, skinny tires do good on packed snow, but deep snow they will dig down and you will be buried. The secret to deep snow is very large and soft tires with less than 10 psi pressure, you want to climb on top and use just enough throttle to keep moving forward without spinning and digging in. It takes some skill, as soon as you feel the tires spinning you have to let off the throttle , back up and finesse your way on top. Skinny tires are worthless in deep snow.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is โ€œgoodโ€ youโ€™re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Someone needs to explain to the bimbo that 28* is colder than 31*.

Some of us enjoy a good bimbo from time to time ๐Ÿ˜

laugh

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
New venture possibility for our very own N.Dave?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jerryv

I'd have used a shovel and got the hell out of there before the extra foot of snow showed up. What a dumb ass going in there alone without enough gear to get out.

Jerry

......... Long as you have a road beneath you a shovel is a great thing to have in a spot like that. I once buried a 2 wheel drive F-150 in the middle of the road after not seeing the 5 foot drift in front of me, at the time all I could see was white. I was still on the road so I just did a lot of shoveling and some occasional driving in reverse. Over 25 yards later I got out enough to do a 3 point turn and go back home.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry

......... Long as you have a road beneath you a shovel is a great thing to have in a spot like that. I once buried a 2 wheel drive F-150 in the middle of the road after not seeing the 5 foot drift in front of me, at the time all I could see was white. I was still on the road so I just did a lot of shoveling and some occasional driving in reverse. Over 25 yards later I got out enough to do a 3 point turn and go back home.

25 yards....

Pfffft

A couple winters ago, the Curmans (Ben, Nash and Dad) shoveled something like 14 miles just to get to town! lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I can't help but think the super wide tires that jeep had was the problem when trying to drive in deep snow. Wide tires don't dig through the snow tending to float on top because of the low pounds per square inch on the contact patch. Those super wide tires look "bad" and IMO only work well in sand after deflating them. If the owner had chains that might have helped too.
He likely wouldn't have got that far with chains as they'd have dug down and he'd have been high centered before he got there.

โ€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.โ€
โ€• George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
irfubar;
Good morning my southern friend, I hope the weekend was a good one for you folks and you're all warm, well, dry and dug out from the last snowfall.

The whole skinny tires vs. fat tires with low air pressure is something I just learned this past fall actually.

There's a young fellow who lives across the gully from us that I'm getting to know a wee bit as he's interested in learning to hunt and has come along with me a couple times.

His current off road rig is a heavily modified Toyota pickup from the '90's, complete with different gears, front and back lockers and 36" or maybe 38" rubber?

The places they go with their rigs is crazy actually. Crazy enough that the snowmobilers don't like it as it chews up their trails!

Here's a video of a group about an hour up the valley.

It's wild where they go and get out of too. Places I shall not be taking the '03 Dodge diesel anyways fubar!!

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The video definitely shows the tracks having the advantage. At the same time, I've seen Cat's high centered and very stuck in snow. When that happens, you're screwed.

โ€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.โ€
โ€• George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by mirage243
[quote=Oldman03]Someone needs to explain to the bimbo that 28* is colder than 31*.

Some of us enjoy a good bimbo from time to time ๐Ÿ˜

laugh

i think you are making reference to lizzie, barrel racer, team roper, and works on the recovery team.
probably capable of settin most of youse people in youfr place.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stand corrected. I did well in 2-2 1/2 ft snow on jeep trail to retrieve elk that no one had driven in a while. Suburban runs 235/80-16s with street tread. Locker in back open axle in front. It would just go right through that snow with no issues. Sounds like deeper snow it would still have the traction except for getting high centered. Never thought of floating over soft snow the way they do it with sand. Still learning.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (B52RadarNav, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.