Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
You folks realize, of course, that I'm aware that responses to my posts on any subject are based 98% on whether you generally like my positions on other topics, right?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Buyer beware. Especially from a pawn shop (only shot by a little old lady on Sundays at her husband's empty beer cans).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Pawn shops can get screwed sometimes, too. Was looking at a Bose speaker setup once a local pawn shop had playing music through. Asked how much and was told not for sale as they weren't real Bose speakers just the box was real Bose, the internals were some other no-name stuff. Said they took in on pawn believing to be real Bose, too.

I've actually made a few pretty good buys on firearms from pawn shops back in pre-internet days -- Ruger in 25/06 with 12X Leupold and TC Renegade in .54 cal package deal for as I recall around $350 - $400 total out the door -- Early Savage 1899 in 250/3000 for a little over $400.

Literally mind-blowing how much never redeemed / unsold items established pawn shops can have warehoused for years which amounts to many, many dollars tied up for no telling how long.

Don't know if annual inventory tax applies to pawnshops the same as it does for regular retail businesses, but if it does, there's that..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've caught a few full episodes while visiting my father (it's one of his favorite shows). My impression was that the interactions between family members (and/or employees) seemed scripted at times (more often than not, actually), but the interactions with customers seemed legit to me, i.e., not scripted, so I'd be surprised to learn that the items sold were actually props and the customers were actually just actors reciting lines in a script. Until shown otherwise, I'm thinking that the items brought in are by real customers seeking to sell their stuff, the experts are actually that, and the prices agreed to are real.

Everything that comes in while the camera is on is scripted with “actors”. The production company has people out scouting for interested stuff they rent it buy then research and come up with a story line and an “expert”. Then they pick a person from a casting call to be the “owner”.

The stuff on the storage shows is all planted and no money actually changes hands.

Trust me on this, I speak from first hand experience.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You folks realize, of course, that I'm aware that responses to my posts on any subject are based 98% on whether you generally like my positions on other topics, right?

I believe you and I get along pretty well😊

I certainly can relate to some of your points on this thread.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post, regardless of subject.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post.

I understand 😊

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If you frequent pawn shops and buy items occasionally and get to know the owners, they often will give you very good deals. I have bought and traded numerous guns and scopes at local pawn shops for great deals. I never sell at pawn shops however.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
While on the subject, I personally knew a tv star from one of these shows who is now serving like three life sentences at Angola.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yep. I was referring to those who have little more than vitriol for anything I post, regardless of subject.

The same few guys do that to anyone they think they can while scoring bonus innernet points with their buddies.

LOL
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
If you frequent pawn shops and buy items occasionally and get to know the owners, they often will give you very good deals. I have bought and traded numerous guns and scopes at local pawn shops for great deals. I never sell at pawn shops however.

Oh hell, I've know a pawn broker around here for 20 years. I've purchased half a dozen classic guns (and the occasional coin) from him in that time, and sold quite a few more through his establishment. He's as fair as the day is long. He once screwed up and claimed he already paid me for a gun he sold for me, but when I showed him my paperwork and asked him to check again, he went back to his safe, saw the cash clipped to his copy of the paperwork, came out and profusely apologized for the screw up. He's very honest and fair. Not perfect, but honest and fair.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2

The same few guys do that to anyone they think they can while scoring bonus innernet points with their buddies.

Exactly.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Who knew a pawn shop wasn't the most economical place to sell something?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like them or hate them, pawn shops are a real world value assessment institution. If you really want to know what you have is worth, take it to a pawn shop, then add 20%.

Getting all worked up over a business you don’t understand is like trying to fly a jet and you don’t know how to start it.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The kid didn't care what it would be worth in the future.

He wanted some pocket jingle now for a bud of pot and pizza delivery money.

I bet some of us would turn over in our graves to know what our heirs do with some of our guns...

I love finding grampy guns in the pawnshops around here.
Grampy can rest easy cause I will use them accordingly.
Espeically when the pawnshop has corporate breathing down theur azz to meet weekly and monthly sales goals. ( Pawn America)
And the employees are aloof at times in pricing and what exactly the firearm is.

Rough appearance looking custom 98k with bore and mechanisms in exc condition.
Shop let me come back down with screw driver set and dissemble to take pics of all markings under the stock on the receiver
Went home.
Google fu...
Sako workshop marks all over that rifle.
Post WW2 ones sako picked up around Europe did their stuff to em. Then sold on PX,s in Germany and France in the 50,s and early 60,s
👍👍👍👍👍
Had ta be a grampy gun brought back from europe.

185 bucks OTD later that afternoon.
And I sure as fugg didn't educate em on what it was..
But I did bring it back in after I refinished the wood and metal to show it to em.
Marlin 36G same pawn shop
Right around 175 or 180ish OTD.
They didn't know what it was either other than a rough looking Marlin.
Showed that off to em also after it was refinished.
Many other guns outta them since 1993 era.

I like scoping out pawnshops around here.
4 Pawn America's
and 3 mom and pop shops.
The mom and pop shops are difficult at times to deal with.
But if ya build a relationship with them over time, you can haggle with em.

Pawnstars is a TV show based very loosely on reality in Vegas.

Last edited by renegade50; 01/10/22.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Like them or hate them, pawn shops are a real world value assessment institution. If you really want to know what you have is worth, take it to a pawn shop, then add 20%.

Getting all worked up over a business you don’t understand is like trying to fly a jet and you don’t know how to start it.

What makes you think I don't understand it? I'm well aware they need to buy quite low in order to make a living. In this case, however, we're talking about a disparity between a $150.00 purchase for something worth $5,000.00 at auction. Might be legal, but that strikes me as a bit unethical.

It would be different if Rick thought it was worth $350, and paid $150.00 for it, and only later realized it was actually worth $5,000.00 at auction.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HitnRun

What makes you think I don't understand it? I'm well aware they need to buy quite low in order to make a living. In this case, however, we're talking about a disparity between a $150.00 purchase for something worth $5,000.00 at auction. Might be legal, but that strikes me as a bit unethical.

It would be different if Rick thought it was worth $350, and paid $150.00 for it, and only later realized it was actually worth $5,000.00 at auction.

Before you answered with this reply, my comment was not focussed at you. However, it is clear how little you understand of business, specifically pawn shops.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yea

Even when everyone else piled on you a thousand times before, I stuck with you.

The magnetic shît, the graphene, dr mercola, glow in the dark Lucifer luminous in the wrists, Bill Gates, etc.. Sucking off Happy Camper on a regular basis.

Can’t get passed that.

Surely not, no?

🤷‍♀️

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We never get anything good at the pawn shops or the used racks.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We never get anything good at the pawn shops or the used racks.

Just like trying to find something cool at Goodwill these days. Straight to fleabay!

Founder

WS

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,746
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.