Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
After dealing with randomly applied antler restriction for several decades on large leases, my wife and I, and usually our son, have had the last 4 years our own 200+/- acres to hunt as we please. Antler restrictions are “ Whatever makes you happy”. A few does have gone down and a couple of spikes. But also going down was a 3 point at least 3 years old and some 7 and 8 pts the same age. This year my wife got the big 3. And I shot a decent 8. Then we watched a lot of small bucks. Still regret letting a 150ish pound 5 point walk as does my wife a big 4 because we actually eat venison. But we were in areas where we knew better was around. Really enjoy having the decision left to us and not some arbitrary number chosen by a dufuss with faulty logic.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like it when the neighbors shoot basket racks.
Being a 1 buck state, theyre done.

See some good ones late season smile

Personally, I like to zip a doe w bow early for good freezer fillin' and then try for a decent buck.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I always tell my buddy and father in law to shoot whatever they feel like dealing with that day. Life is too short to worry about managing wild animals. I plant a few food plots to draw them in, but that’s it. It’s supposed to be fun.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Dont care what other people shoot.
Their tag, their hunt.

Do know many that want bigger bucks the easiest way possible, for their own or to keep the neighbor from getting one.

Also know some that want to take deer w home made gear.

I used to shoot a trad bow pretty decent, but had to get a new one of lesser poundage becauss age and injuries are adding up.

Admit I like my scoped rifles a lot too.

Am a bit of a gearhead.

The way I see it.....do whatever keeps it fun.
Straps on the grill is fun in the summer.

Haven't taken a deer in two yrs summer is gonna suck a bit.
Just the way it is.

Due to.low deer numbers Ill have to travel a bit more to put a slick in the freezer next season.

Last edited by hookeye; 01/10/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Got a new Hoyt set up w Fletchunter, due to injuries.
Like it. Like recurves better LOL

Shot deer w sidehammers and inlines. Grown to dislike them both, but sidehammers are kinda cool.

Revolvers, not an auto or specialty pistol ( yet ).

Shotguns and rifles...boom time is fun.

The hard way......i dunno what that is. Would like to make my own laminate bow some time. Not interested in self bows.

Anymore injuries and weather make going out, staying out....a chore.

Gear isnt the problem.

IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t think guys like you are a problem Hookeye. You’ve done it the hard way. And for the record I don’t necessarily care if someone wants to use a laser ray gun during the primitive season.

But when use of laser ray guns in the primitive season starts limiting my opportunities due to their effectiveness is when I take issue. I don’t have an issue shooting does, usually do it most years if I don’t have an elk in the freezer. But most of the horn hunter types pushing the one buck change don’t shoot does. They simply want to stop guys from shooting more than one buck to give them a better chance at a monster. Herd health and sustainability isn’t what they’re pushing for.

In reality if it were put into effect it would have about zero effect on my primary hunting area. There is probably less than 5 bucks killed in a roughly 8 square mile roadless area per year anyway. And yes there are some monsters in there and yes it’s private. So no more people will get to hunt it and I won’t have the opportunity to possibly kill one with more than one method of take = the same amount of bucks dying of old age.

Maybe the answer is to enact it on public lands but that’s not the aim of the folks pushing for it either. Their aim is to keep anyone from killing “their” bucks when they aren’t on their place.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
I don’t think guys like you are a problem Hookeye. You’ve done it the hard way. And for the record I don’t necessarily care if someone wants to use a laser ray gun during the primitive season.

But when use of laser ray guns in the primitive season starts limiting my opportunities due to their effectiveness is when I take issue. I don’t have an issue shooting does, usually do it most years if I don’t have an elk in the freezer. But most of the horn hunter types pushing the one buck change don’t shoot does. They simply want to stop guys from shooting more than one buck to give them a better chance at a monster. Herd health and sustainability isn’t what they’re pushing for.

In reality if it were put into effect it would have about zero effect on my primary hunting area. There is probably less than 5 bucks killed in a roughly 8 square mile roadless area per year anyway. And yes there are some monsters in there and yes it’s private. So no more people will get to hunt it and I won’t have the opportunity to possibly kill one with more than one method of take = the same amount of bucks dying of old age.

Maybe the answer is to enact it on public lands but that’s not the aim of the folks pushing for it either. Their aim is to keep anyone from killing “their” bucks when they aren’t on their place.

And it tastes just like all the strategies of the left. If they want to be vegan then everyone should be vegan. I don't care what anyone eats. I don't care what size buck anyone kills. You eat and kill what makes you happy and I'll do the same. But some people aren't happy unless everyone does things the way they do.

All I want is to be left alone in my remaining years. If I don't want to shoot a doe but do want to shoot a basket rack four point, then that's what I want to do. I don't care of others do or don't want to shoot the same deer. I wish people had enough respect to let everyone be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Hard way" "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" The OP comes across as some sort of purist and he has a father that would call me a moron. Interesting perspectives.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kid you are spot on. hunting has been turned in to a competitive sport. it was not mint to be in my op.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Doesn't matter to me what the other guy wants to
do. I don't bother them and I expect them to leave
me be and let me do whatever I want to as long
as it's legal

Hunt your own hunt and let me hunt mine

I get a bunch of poop throwed at me from the
" It'll be XXXXX in XXXX years " people.
Well everything is going against a free ranging
free roaming deer. Not just from the guy wanting
to fill freezer bags, but parasites, predators,
poachers/road hunters, fighting with other deer,
road kill, etc. etc.
IMO it's a blessed miracle that a free ranging
free roaming deer of either sex makes it to
5 or 6 years.
About the only way to be assured that any particular
deer makes it year after year is to high fence
a few hundred acres and pour the feed and supplements
to your penned up deer and wait until one grows
the way you want it to

IC B3

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
"Hard way" "Nobody does anything the hard way anymore" The OP comes across as some sort of purist and he has a father that would call me a moron. Interesting perspectives.

I don’t mean to come across that way. As I said I hunt the way I like because I like it. If someone wants to use a department approved shoulder fired heat seeking arrow launcher during archery season I’m fine with that. What I take issue with is the high tech crowd pushing for legislation to cut down my hunting time, bag limit, opportunity etc so they can maybe shoot bigger bucks. If everyone had to hunt using more difficult means then there probably wouldn’t be as many bucks being killed, like 25 years ago. What is the point of a primitive weapons season if the weapons aren’t primitive?

If this were to pass and suddenly we’re covered up with giant bucks will someone decide we need to go to one buck every two years in the hopes of even bigger ones? I don’t know but I wouldn’t put it past the inches crowd.

As far as my dad, he might call you an idiot if every buck you refer to has a score attached. I agree with him to an extent as it seems that nobody just killed a big one or a really nice buck any more or even a middling sized 8 pointer. They’re all 170 class bucks or 162 nontypicals or dink 120s. Just seems to take some of the personality out of the conversation to normal people. We have a buddy who’ll be talking about the 147 inch class buck that ran across the highway on his way to work, and that’s no exaggeration, and yes my old man tells him he sounds like a moron when he starts in on that and yes they’re still good friends.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I hate it when someone says a 150 class or what ever. To me it is demeaning to the sport and above all to the animal.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
One easy way to improve the size of our game is to eliminate scopes. Tree stands, and game cams could also go.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I hate it when someone says a 150 class or what ever. To me it is demeaning to the sport and above all to the animal.

Molon Labe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I dont see it that way.
Its just a mention of size.

" Eight pointer " isnt super detail.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Honestly, the hard way can be so simple as to offer advantages.

My first trad deer was shot on the trot up close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was sitting along a deer trail yesterday evening with my bow letting my mind run wild as I watched for a late season deer with bad luck.

I let myself get halfway upset. Let me explain. As of now I live in a great state for deer hunters. We have a pretty liberal bag limit that allows us 8 does and 2 bucks if you hunt all the seasons and hunting methods. Quite a bit of public land for those not fortunate enough to have land or be able to afford a lease. Lots of opportunity, some form of deer season is open from October 1 thru Jan 15. A generally mild climate that makes it easy to get out and hunt without specialized gear plus it means good survival for fawn crops. Also we’re fortunate to get to hunt some portion of the rut with either a rifle or muzzleloader or both depending on the deer and the weather. While we don’t kill the multitude of giants like some Midwest states there are some really good bucks killed every year statewide and with some patience it generally isn’t too hard to get a shot at a nice buck if not an absolute monster.

Here’s the part that’s upsetting to me. There’s been a push that’s getting more and more vocal every year, I’m sure you can guess what crowd drives it, to get the wildlife department to make us a one buck state. It’ll improve the buck quality they say. We’ll be killing giants like Iowa and Ohio they say.

But if one looks closer these are the same guys and gals who spend thousands a year on feeders and supplements. Spend hours geeking out on their trail cam pics naming Ol’ Bentbrow and talking about management bucks. The same people who shoot Ravin crossbows that will put 3 bolts in as many inches at 100 yards. The guys who are using the smokeless muzzleloaders during “primitive” season that shoot 2” groups at 300 yards.

Not that my way is any more noble than theirs but when I bow hunt it’s with a recurve or longbow. Primitive season for me involves a sidelock muzzleloader with iron sights that I’m pretty confident in shooting out to about 70 yards. My standard of a “trophy” when using these weapons is not quite so stringent as I hold myself to during rifle season. Nobody makes me hunt this way, I enjoy it. But if they get their way I won’t be able to shoot a buck like the half rack one I missed with my longbow last week if I tagged one during the rifle season.

I guess this was all just to vent and say that I hate how competitive hunting has become with the advent of social media and cell cams, and the like. When I was a kid we had much lower bag limits but we could still shoot a buck with every method of take. And only the disabled were allowed the use of a crossbow. Optics of any type weren’t allowed on muzzleloaders. Nobody does anything the hard way anymore.

The wildlife department wants, practically begs us, to shoot does. 95 percent of guys won’t, period. Most people don’t eat deer or only do so grudgingly if it’s jerky or summer sausage so I don’t see this movement helping thin the does out. I just hope some egghead up there doesn’t get the idea this will help get people to shoot does.

Let me see if I can recap, you don’t like compound bows, crossbows (especially Raven crossbows), modern muzzleloaders, smokeless muzzleloaders, trail cams, all things “high tech”, guys who can count inches of antler and you want to kill at least 2 immature bucks every year?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Internet, cell phone apps....4wd w AC/ heat/ cruise.

My state asked if we wanted an early trad bow season ( maybe part of it was non inline BP too, dont remember ).

Personally i think the deer get enough pressure and I dont like hunting when things are green.

I voted no to a special season in Sept.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_Reloader
I was sitting along a deer trail yesterday evening with my bow letting my mind run wild as I watched for a late season deer with bad luck.

I let myself get halfway upset. Let me explain. As of now I live in a great state for deer hunters. We have a pretty liberal bag limit that allows us 8 does and 2 bucks if you hunt all the seasons and hunting methods. Quite a bit of public land for those not fortunate enough to have land or be able to afford a lease. Lots of opportunity, some form of deer season is open from October 1 thru Jan 15. A generally mild climate that makes it easy to get out and hunt without specialized gear plus it means good survival for fawn crops. Also we’re fortunate to get to hunt some portion of the rut with either a rifle or muzzleloader or both depending on the deer and the weather. While we don’t kill the multitude of giants like some Midwest states there are some really good bucks killed every year statewide and with some patience it generally isn’t too hard to get a shot at a nice buck if not an absolute monster.

Here’s the part that’s upsetting to me. There’s been a push that’s getting more and more vocal every year, I’m sure you can guess what crowd drives it, to get the wildlife department to make us a one buck state. It’ll improve the buck quality they say. We’ll be killing giants like Iowa and Ohio they say.

But if one looks closer these are the same guys and gals who spend thousands a year on feeders and supplements. Spend hours geeking out on their trail cam pics naming Ol’ Bentbrow and talking about management bucks. The same people who shoot Ravin crossbows that will put 3 bolts in as many inches at 100 yards. The guys who are using the smokeless muzzleloaders during “primitive” season that shoot 2” groups at 300 yards.

Not that my way is any more noble than theirs but when I bow hunt it’s with a recurve or longbow. Primitive season for me involves a sidelock muzzleloader with iron sights that I’m pretty confident in shooting out to about 70 yards. My standard of a “trophy” when using these weapons is not quite so stringent as I hold myself to during rifle season. Nobody makes me hunt this way, I enjoy it. But if they get their way I won’t be able to shoot a buck like the half rack one I missed with my longbow last week if I tagged one during the rifle season.

I guess this was all just to vent and say that I hate how competitive hunting has become with the advent of social media and cell cams, and the like. When I was a kid we had much lower bag limits but we could still shoot a buck with every method of take. And only the disabled were allowed the use of a crossbow. Optics of any type weren’t allowed on muzzleloaders. Nobody does anything the hard way anymore.

The wildlife department wants, practically begs us, to shoot does. 95 percent of guys won’t, period. Most people don’t eat deer or only do so grudgingly if it’s jerky or summer sausage so I don’t see this movement helping thin the does out. I just hope some egghead up there doesn’t get the idea this will help get people to shoot does.

Let me see if I can recap, you don’t like compound bows, crossbows (especially Raven crossbows), modern muzzleloaders, smokeless muzzleloaders, trail cams, all things “high tech”, guys who can count inches of antler and you want to kill at least 2 immature bucks every year?

No, that is not what he's saying at all. Quite the contrary.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Young guy 2 farms over arrowed a 160 w compound.
My buddy shot a 145 w gun
We knew the one my bud got was frequenting the area and I really wanted to get him w a stickbow.

Alas, injuries shut down my season.
And when I did get out a couple times in gun, I never saw an inch of antler .

Others saa that buck in the area and set up on routes to our little spot. Pretty much shut down all travel from 2 sides.

But that one day he tried to slip through a pinch point and my bud was waiting smile

Theres one lesser sized thats made it ( that we know of ).
Dunno if he took over that area or was just passing through
Maybe Ill get a P&Y w recurve in 2022

Limbs still havent show up for new bow

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.