Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you have some RL 26 you can up your velocity some if you want. I’m getting 2900 FPS with a 180 partition in my 30-06 with a 24” barrel.
I shot my moose in Maine with my Encore 450 bushmaster running a 250 gr bonded shockwave at 2580 FPS at 85 yards with a pass through.

BP-B2

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
MD, I appreciate the data you measured and related on those two moose vital areas. Any of the loads from the rifle mentioned will do just fine out at distance.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
While I don’t have first hand experience with a 180 grain Accubond out of a 30-06, I did shoot a scimitar oryx with a 165 grain Accubond out of a 308.

Right as I shot, he shifted his hips back, so what started as a very slight quartering to shot aimed dead on the shoulder turned into a full quartering to shot that hit just in front of the onside shoulder. The bullet exited near the rear of the offside ribs. He went about 65 yards, the last 15 of which he was plowing with his lower jaw.

I also have a good friend in Sweden who has taken multiple fallow deer and Scandinavian moose using Norma bullets in his 30-06. Not sure if he is using the 180s however.

For my 2023 hunt I plan on using 160s in my 7mm REM Mag. Either Federal Fusions or Nosler Accubonds.

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 2500HD
If you have some RL 26 you can up your velocity some if you want. I’m getting 2900 FPS with a 180 partition in my 30-06 with a 24” barrel.
I shot my moose in Maine with my Encore 450 bushmaster running a 250 gr bonded shockwave at 2580 FPS at 85 yards with a pass through.

The goto powder for any of those bullets mentioned out of my barrel is H4350. Go much beyond 2750 and good groups begin opening up. Below that, it's like a freakin' lazer beam, and a joy to point at tasty critters.

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
While I don’t have first hand experience with a 180 grain Accubond out of a 30-06, I did shoot a scimitar oryx with a 165 grain Accubond out of a 308.

Right as I shot, he shifted his hips back, so what started as a very slight quartering to shot aimed dead on the shoulder turned into a full quartering to shot that hit just in front of the onside shoulder. The bullet exited near the rear of the offside ribs. He went about 65 yards, the last 15 of which he was plowing with his lower jaw.

Now THAT's the kinda data I'm looking for! Oryx are tough customers. Thanks.

IC B2

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
I shot one of mine with a 220 Core-Lokt. I was pretty happy with the performance. After having to shoot one four times with a 30-30 and having a 350 grain Interlock shatter into a thousand pieces on another one, that 220 did everything I hoped it would

I fully expect it'll take at least 2 rounds; the first to get its attention, and the second to anchor it.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So which bullet are you going to use? Inquiring minds want to know...

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
John not upset! Just thought that I'd missed something. Or thought I was doing something wrong . Hell you've got more experience than I have 10 fold. I just thought maybe I'd given someone wrong information. Thanks for your time. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]
I fully expect it'll take at least 2 rounds; the first to get its attention, and the second to anchor it.
[/quote]

That can definitely happen with moose, though in my experience not always. The quickest/deadest bull moose kill I've witnessed was on an average Shiras bull--which was as large as any bull elk I've seen lying on the ground. The bullet was the .270 150-grain Nosler Partition, started from a .270 Winchester at around 2850 fps, and the hunter was my wife Eileen, who drew a bull tag the first time she ever applied here in Montana.

The bull was standing quartering away at around 125 yards, and Eileen aimed at the far (right) shoulder. At the shot, the bull hesitated very briefly, then took a step-and-a-half before folding up, dead. We recovered the bullet from under the hide of the right shoulder, after it penetrated more than three feet.

Did take two shots on the Alberta bull. The range was around 220 yards, and the bull stood broadside. At the first shot, the bull stopped and just stood there, and my guide suggested shooting it again, due to heavy brush around 30 yards away, which would make retrieval harder. So I did shoot again--and the bull headed for the brush, but dropped before getting inside, about 20 yards from where it was first shot. The bullets were 160-grain North Forks, started at around 2650 fps from a 7x57. I suspect that if I hadn't shot agai, the bull would have dropped where it stood, but dunno. (After we returned to the lodge, outfitter (and old friend) Pat Frederick said the bull he'd killed after drawing a tag a couple years before did just about exactly the same thing--and he used a .300 Winchester Magnum.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Either the Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
John not upset! Just thought that I'd missed something. Or thought I was doing something wrong . Hell you've got more experience than I have 10 fold. I just thought maybe I'd given someone wrong information. Thanks for your time. Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Thanks. Was just wondering what inspired your post!

Good hunting,
John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Either the Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame.

Have killed big game with all the bullets on the list except the Norma Bondstrike. Have also tested the Bondstrike in "tough" media, and it worked fine. Wondering why you name those two, especially since you don't mention any particular reason. Though that's typical of the Campfire....

John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I used them and like them.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ERK
Anyone of them and just about any other bullet from 150 grains and up. Edk

As is so often the case, the first answer is usually the best.

Exactly

Having said that I wish I had $1 for every Yukon moose taken cleanly with the 30/06 180 grain Bluebox Federal, or the 150 grain 270 bluebox.....

Last edited by Lorne; 01/10/22.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the long-time essential "advantages" of the .30-06 is how well it works with cup-and-core 180s--like a lot of other cartridges of various calibers have with C&Cs at around 2700 fps.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by moosemike
I shot one of mine with a 220 Core-Lokt. I was pretty happy with the performance. After having to shoot one four times with a 30-30 and having a 350 grain Interlock shatter into a thousand pieces on another one, that 220 did everything I hoped it would

Puddle;
Good evening sir, I hope the day behaved for you and this finds you well, warm and dry.

I grew up eating moose meat - Saskatchewan moose - often cows and calves though as I recall Mom giving Dad the gears bringing home a bull..."We can't eat the horns Fred!" laugh

Dad hunted with a .303 British first, then a .250 Savage and finally a .308, running whatever ammo the local hardware store had at the time. I recall him saying "Moose aren't that hard to kill, but some of them take awhile to know their dead"

My personal experience with the bullets listed on moose is second hand only and limited to the Accubond and Partition, both of which worked for two different neighbors.

One of them was over today shooting the breeze with me and we were actually telling moose that didn't know they were dead stories. He's shot about a dozen BC bulls I want to say and one up north just wasn't interested in falling over despite repeated applications of 180gr Partitions from his .300 Win Mag.

When another neighbor went north the fall before last I helped him set up a new to him '06 700 and he was running 190gr Accubonds as loaded by Winchester.

The only advice I had for him when he asked was to keep shooting if it was still standing - because of what Dad and a few hunting buddies have talked about.

You'll be good to go with an '06 and a bullet you trust though for sure.

If you're heading up into BC and you're traveling up the 97, drop me a PM and I'll try to get some coffee or fairly decent ice cream into you if you've got the time and inclination.

Good luck on the hunt prep and the hunt itself.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/10/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Well, here's my thinking...

This is likely gonna be my one and only moose hunt; after 25 years of feeding various game departments money for lower 48 moose tags I think I can safely say it just ain't in the cards for me.

So, on a hunt like this, I always expect the best, and, be prepared for the worst. And the worst scenario I can envision is a steeply quartering-away shot on a freakin' big animal like a Canadian moose and needing that bullet to punch its way into the vitals, do the damage, and park itself somewhere's on the far front leg. Again, worst case scenario.

Like MD mentioned, I've also taken big game with all the bullets listed except the Bondstrike. But of all those on the list I'm thinking the Partition gives me the most confidence of driving the deepest, the farthest, in the event I really need it to do so.

Good 'ol boring 180 gr. Partition from a .30-06. Warm fuzzies all around...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my 300Rum, I used a 200ab on my moose.

Also have used it on Mt goat, elk and an 8.5ft mtn grizz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Puddle;
That's sound logic for sure.

Most of my the folks I knew who used to guide were always happier to see someone show up with a well worn '06 or .270 sort of rifle rather than a shiny new Ultra Schuetzenboomer they'd only sighted in before they left.

I know the feeling of being "lucky" with LEH hunts. I swear if there's a 1.1:1 odds of being drawn, I'm the 0.1 that won't get it! laugh

We - eldest daughter/hunting partner and I put in for any bull moose and any ram on the mountain behind the house every year, but it's a donation as you said.

Good luck again and if I can help with any strange Canuck stuff please feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Puddle;
That's sound logic for sure.

Most of my the folks I knew who used to guide were always happier to see someone show up with a well worn '06 or .270 sort of rifle rather than a shiny new Ultra Schuetzenboomer they'd only sighted in before they left.

I know the feeling of being "lucky" with LEH hunts. I swear if there's a 1.1:1 odds of being drawn, I'm the 0.1 that won't get it! laugh

We - eldest daughter/hunting partner and I put in for any bull moose and any ram on the mountain behind the house every year, but it's a donation as you said.

Good luck again and if I can help with any strange Canuck stuff please feel free to give me a shout and I'll do my best.

Dwayne

Oh gawd, don't get me started talking about growing up on the ranch and come hunting season taking the city dwellers up into the hills with their loudenboomers...

Your offer is most appreciated! Kinda makes me hope the BC hunt works out instead of the Alberta one. Time will tell...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.