Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Would You Shoot an Albino or Piebald Deer?

I've never seen an albino nor piebald deer and if I did, I'm not sure if I'd shoot or not. Where legal, of course.

How 'bout you?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunt...m_term=0_387276506e-7c525c94b7-536236490

Originally Posted by Field & Stream, SCOTT BESTUL

I Passed Up an Albino Buck. And a Piebald Doe. The Reasons Why May Surprise You.

Why do so many of us give these genetically inferior animals special treatment? Are they just venison in a different wrapper or something much more?

BY SCOTT BESTUL | PUBLISHED JAN 6, 2022 6:00 PM

Albino and piebald deer have been in the news lately, here and in other venues, as they seem to be every fall. And every time I read these reports, I am transported to a pair of encounters that happened to me many years ago.

Both memories are linked to Buffalo County, Wisconsin, which has long dominated the B&C record book as America’s top trophy county. Buffalo is also well-known (though mainly by locals) for its population of albino whitetails, although they were the furthest thing from my mind as I bowhunted my friend’s farm one early November afternoon. The rut was building, and I was on a hardwood ridge connecting a pair of farm fields. Conditions were perfect for rattling, so I grabbed my antlers, cracked them together a few times, and then paused to listen. The unmistakable shuffle of a buck plodding through leaves had me hanging the horns and reaching for my bow as quickly as possible.

I still remember the flashes of white I saw as the buck approached and, this being dairy country, I also remember wondering if some stray, lonely Holstein had heard me and was looking for company. Then the full, stark-white head and neck of the buck emerged from the cover, followed by a broad flank that made me think of a winged Pegasus. The 10-pointer tromped to the edge of bow range, looked around for the fight and–seeing none–flicked his tail and walked on. Though fully protected by state law, that buck would have been safe from me regardless of statute. Maybe you can’t say that I passed him, given the law, but I certainly would have. I’ve been deer hunting for nearly 50 years, and I still count that encounter as one of my most memorable and certainly most mythic.

What About Piebald Deer? Are they as Sacred as True Albinos?

The second encounter occurred on a late-season bowhunt, on a different farm in the same county. While I’d heard rumors of a piebald doe frequenting that property, I had not seen her in almost three seasons of hard hunting. All of that changed on a December afternoon when I trudged through the snow to a stand overlooking an apple orchard. I’d not tagged a deer that fall and vowed to arrow the first legal deer I encountered. My resolve wilted when I spotted a doe heading toward the orchard that seemed to appear and disappear as her splotchy white body slid through trees and brush.

I’ve had several deer track me to my stand over the years, but none as memorable as this one. When the piebald doe encountered my boot track, she buried her nose in the print, popped her head up to look around, then high-stepped to the next track and repeated the inspection. Within minutes she was no more than 10 yards away. The albino buck had been mesmerizing, but this dappled doe was simply beautiful, with cream-white patches on her neck, pure-white markings on her shoulders and flank, and a pear-shaped saddle on her back that reminded me of an Appaloosa horse.

She stood there long enough that I had time to engage in a little argument with myself. On one hand, this was a perfectly legal deer, and I had an empty freezer. And wouldn’t that hide look amazing tanned and tacked on my den wall? On the other hand, well, she was simply the prettiest whitetail I had ever seen in many decades of watching whitetails. When I hung my bow back up on its hook, the doe looked up at me, decided that the shivering blob she’d spotted looked perfectly natural skylit in the tree, wagged her tail, and walked off. Over the years I’ve had several friends tell me I was crazy not to take such a unique trophy, but I have never doubted the correct side won the argument that day. That doe lived for five more seasons before disappearing from that farm and, while it has been years since I hunted there, I like to think she left a string of offspring, some of them never losing their spots come fall.

The Reasons to Pass White Deer Are Not All Touchy-Feely

I tell these tales not only because I like to remember them, but also as proof that I understand people, including many hunters, who argue that white, or even semi-white, deer are special and need our protection. You hear some of these folks pipe up any time an albino whitetail story appears. If a hunter kills a legal white buck, he gets bashed for being some sort of troglodyte, or if an albino is spared, the responsible party is held up as some kind of special savior. It’s all a bit much. Anyone who thinks white deer should be protected in states they are not ought to contact their DNR and start a petition—not troll legal hunters.

The truth is, hunters who argue there’s no biological reason for protect white deer have some solid arguments for making them legal game. The same recessive gene that gives albinos their unusual color also makes them prone to diseases that don’t plague other deer; the buck I passed that long-ago day lived to be 9½ years old, and while it grew a huge rack (another rarity, as many albino bucks have stunted antlers most of their lives), it had to be killed by a warden as it wandered blindly (literally) down the middle of a road in daylight. Albinos are also more susceptible to predation than other deer. Finally, in an age of CWD and other diseases, why should a genetically inferior, more-disease-susceptible member of the species get a pass?

I get all of the these arguments. They are practical and logical. But practicality and logic aren’t everything. There’s beauty and awe to consider. When I reflect on my nearly 50 years of deer hunting, I realize how important it is to me that my sport possesses moments of beauty; if chasing whitetails just boiled down to filling a freezer or filling up an empty spot on the trophy wall, I probably would have become bored long ago. Instead, I return to the woods every fall to witness things that I can’t anywhere else—and often return home with nothing more tangible than a memory. The white deer I’ve encountered are etched in my mind as indelibly as any trophy buck. Even all these years later, I can see those deer in my mind’s eye and feel a sense of awe that distills the reason I go to the woods in the first place.

But there’s more to it than that—maybe surprisingly so for some. Many people think that the reasons for passing up white deer are all sentimental and touchy-feely. In fact, there are solid practical reasons rooted in biology. It’s not easy for a white deer, or a piebald deer for that matter, to produce a similarly-pigmented fawn. Both conditions are the result of a recessive gene, and, more to the point, both parents of a fawn must have that recessive gene to produce a white deer, and even then it’s no guarantee. In other words, the taking of only a handful of albino whitetails from an existing herd could have long-term implications for future survival; a 2001 story in the Minnesota DNR magazine The Volunteer notes that even if a buck with the albino gene successfully mates with a doe of similar genetic makeup, they have only a 1-in-4 chance of producing an albino fawn. The obvious proof of this is the fact that in places where they are protected, you have a decent chance of seeing an albino deer, whereas it’s especially rare outside of those places.

We value things that are rare in nature, whether they are precious metals or trophy bucks. Estimates place albino deer at about 1 in 20,000 or more, or about .005 percent. Less than 2 percent of whitetails are piebald. In other words, they are rare, indeed, and so it makes perfect sense to give them extra value and want to preserve them.

I would never take a fellow hunter to task for shooting an albino or piebald deer in a legal hunting situation. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I saw a pic of a hunter posing in a hero shot with a piebald buck and I honestly thought: How cool. What an awesome trophy for him. But in the two meetings I’ve had with white–or partially-white deer—I barely lifted a finger to grab my bow. They were amazing, mesmerizing experiences and therefore ones I hope my fellow hunters get to enjoy, and the best way to ensure that is not to shoot these deer.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had an opportunity to take a piebald doe. My great grandmother was a full blooded Onondaga Indian who lived on the reservation near Syracuse. We visited her when I was young and listened to her stories. When I saw the piebald I put my scope on it and I swear I heard my great grandmothers voice in my ear say “ bad medicine to kill the white deer”. Chilled me to the bone. I lowered my gun and just watched the beautiful doe walk away. Every hunter must make this very personal choice and I don’t criticize whatever it is. For me my great grandmother guided my choice and I will never put another in my scope.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably not.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Been there. Done that. She tasted just as good as any other doe.

We used to have a whole herd of piebald deer running around our place in the city. There was one buck that grew to 12 points. He showed up lame one year with a big gash in his side. After that, he disappeared.

Last edited by shaman; 01/11/22.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I would not.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s a genetic abnormality, if it was a legal buck or a decent sized doe yes. Because,why not? And I would get the hide tanned because you don’t see them very often.

Would you not shoot a color phase Black bear?

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 01/11/22.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a good question. I have never seen one so what would I do. Part of me says respect the rarity of the animal. The other part of me says that genetically inferior to diseases it should be removed from the breeding stock. If it was legal to shoot I probably would leave it due to the rarity so that it can produce more.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would not shoot one just because it was an albino or piebald, but being piebald or albino wouldn't be the reason to keep me from shooting it.

Last edited by Mike78; 01/11/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would and did! He was running with a larger buck which was completely ignored when I got a good look at this one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If big enough, kapow.
Tan the hide, grill the straps.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Piebald- maybe
Albino-absolutely not

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had him the scope at maybe 15-20 yards as he and some Does crossed a trail, but didn’t and dug the camera out as he walked into the brush

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Glad I let him walk.

Addition: Saw him again later in the season crossing an open field at dark. It was like watching a ghost.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A buck...Yes.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seen 1 albino doe, just 1 in all my years on the ranch. Out moving irrigation pipe when she popped up on the edge of the meadow. Not hunting season, so I just took the time to watch.

Pretty cool.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Piebald- maybe
Albino-absolutely not

That is kind of the way I'm leaning.

But then again, none of us really knows until the situation is in front of us.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A large Ranch I used to manage in the TX Hill Country had 3 Albino does. They were off limits.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm curious why the aversion to shooting an albino?

I guess it's illegal in some states? So, that is an obvious reason.

Anything else driving this?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

I guess it's illegal in some states? So, that is an obvious reason.

Anything else driving this?

^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

It's just an animal, not like it's a little boy or a girl
If it's legal, I'm sure it's still got 2 shoulders and
2 quarters and 2 backstraps just like a brown deer
and bleeds red when you poke a hole through it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have. A young doe, with a flintlock.

Was going to get the hide tanned,
until we got it home.
It was in the back of Dad's Blazer, he went into the house and hollered
"Mary, get out here. Look at this, your boy shot someone's goat!"

She got instantly pissed. Started hitting me.
When we unloaded it and she saw it was a deer, she insisted we get rid
of it. We have the meat away and threw the hide away

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Just a genetic mutation in regards to hair color. In a biological sense they are no better and no worse than any other deer. If legal I'd shoot.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rooster 7, as a kid I was told killing an albino deer was "bad luck"! I have never seen either while hunting in the past 49 years so it hasn't been an issue!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a 7 pointer in 2014 that had piebald markings on his front legs and chest. I didn't even see them before I shot. I don't remember ever seeing any others at our camp.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
not sure, never seen one

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shot a nice eight that was a piebald several years ago . Thanksgiving morning, was pushed for time for dinner , made a quick walk up the mountain and a doe blowed to the left of me .
When I looked over I spotted him about 50-60 yds .
Had seen him earlier when they were still running in a bachelor bunch . There were three of them , another buck , scraggly rack and a doe , not the one that blew at me .
Had my Valmet 12/06 , leveled the rifle and shot .
He just stood there fixed on the doe .
I thought , WTH ?
Round two , he’s still standing there , hasn’t flinched , now my mind is racing all kinds of WTH thoughts .
Round three , he wobbled but still standing , finally collapsed . Time is getting critical , gutted him snatched him by the horns and down the mountain I went , moving so fast bout ran me over on a couple steep parts , lol .
Hung him up , took a couple Polaroid pictures to show dad , he was bed fast on feeding tubes .
His eyes watered up when I showed him the pictures , he loved hunting .
Got back from dinner ,proceeded to skin him out , never in my entire life have I seen so many ticks fall off a deer , literally rained ticks . Meat had tiny red streaks through the entire meat structure . Three holes through the ribs right behind elbow of shoulder , 180 grain Winchester fail safes . Doe had him in a bad way . Rolled the hide up and put on truck seat to take to a taxidermist and ticks were still crawling off him .
When we rolled him out on the table still ticks comming out as I was telling the taxidermist the story , he was astonished at the ticks comming out of the hide , espeacially after dragging and hanging for several hours .
Bad mojo , I don’t know , but threw the meat away , broke my heart to do it , but those red streaks and the very high number of ticks was enough for me .
Had him mounted and hide tanned , only deer I ever mounted , been close to 25 yrs ago and still looks good .
17” inside spread and tines were eight to ten inches tall .

Kenneth66

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've killed 3 piebald deer, 2 bucks and 1 doe so far.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is one my Cousin spotted. He had seen it previously around his place. I went over and got a pic before it jumped up and ran off....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are genetically inferior and where legal should be shot ones sentiments aside.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/the-ethical-hunter/should-we-shoot-albinos

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, we all know Vic_in_Va's answer to this question !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
They are genetically inferior and where legal should be shot ones sentiments aside.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/the-ethical-hunter/should-we-shoot-albinos

And the next to last sentence was what?

Nor does it appear the few that are birthed are causing any harm to the population genetics over a long history of development. Shoot them if you wish, however genetically inferior is a weak argument to do so.

Last edited by battue; 01/12/22.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the difference would show on a shoulder mount I'd shoot it if it was a legal deer. I wouldn't shoot a buck during an antlerless season or an antlerless deer during a bucks only season.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not legal here and I've never seen one. If it were legal I would consider them fair game. Cougars, wolves and coyotes would too, they aren't superstitious.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would not shoot it. I'm not superstitious, but I've always heard that Indian folklore says that it's bad Mojo.

I knew a guy that shot a piebald doe and had a full body mount done. His brother actually works for me, so we've had this discussion before. The year after he got the mount back from the taxidermist, he came down with brain cancer. He died the following year. About 5 years ago, his widow was getting rid of all of his stuff and they took the piebald to his mother's house. That Winter her house burned to the ground.

I had this piebald doe hanging around my house for a couple of years. She ended up getting hit by a car when it was snowing one day. The interesting thing was that it appeared as though the herd shunned her. She was usually by herself. Whenever you'd see her with the herd, she was always off to the side alone.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ha, I saw a all white doe a couple of weeks ago, got a far cell phone pic. Mostly private land but only about 2 miles from where I hunt. Iv also heard the bad mojo if you shoot one. I seen 3 piebalds had a six point in a food plot at 18 yrds for 30 mins, I had taken a 4 pt the week before, so legaly I couldn't shoot him. Saw a spike when I was about 20, 60 yards away, need him to step clear of a tree. He walked straight away no shot. And a few years ago out just driving around saw a piebald feeding near the road, it was short legged, had a short neck and a small head. Not good genetics in that one at all. And as said all of these deer the three pie balls and the albino deer were by them selves so that might be something to what one of the other posters was saying.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the last deer my dad shot was a piebald doe. it is the only one i have ever seen.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I killed an 11 point a few years ago that had more white on it's legs than normal and the white on the belly was higher up the body than normal.
A couple of guys had seen him and called him Old White Legs. So yes I wouldn't hold it against a deer for being too white.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was a really fine buck, yes. Here's one that went the other way Cookie caught just preseason last fall. It's no longer with us, and no, I did not have a tag.
She also encountered a black fawn (born spring 2021) and a black doe (yearling born 2020) both about 20 miles away from this buck. They all seem to mingle well with the other 99.99%.

In the last 8 years we think we've had encounters with at least six black examples with all but this one being does.

She's yet to catch up with an albino, but we'll put some pics up when it happens.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/13/22.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There were quite a few piebalds in my area about 30 years ago. I shot a mostly white doe in ‘91 or ‘92. Had the hide tanned hair on. My son has it now. Haven’t seen one in at least 15 years.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The town of Saint Germain, Wisconsin used to have a whole herd of them wandering around the town. Don't think it was legal to shoot them.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it was a really fine buck, yes. Here's one that went the other way that Cookie caught just preseason last fall. It's no longer with us, and no, I did not have a tag.
She also encountered a black fawn (born spring 2021) and a black doe (yearling born 2020) both about 20 miles away from this buck. They all seem to mingle well with the other 99.99%.

In the last 8 years we think we've had encounters with at least six black examples with all but this one being does.

She's yet to catch up with an albino, but we'll put some pics up when it happens.

Wow, that's crazy. I don't believe I've seen even a picture of a black colored deer, 'til now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not going to shoot a Piebald or white deer.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There are a few white - not albino, I think - and/or piebald moose around here every once in awhile.

I saw a moose out of Fairbanks many years ago that was white well up his or her regs, including at least one shoulder. Never got a good enough look at it to tell.

Down in a heartbeat if legal, Diversity and superstitions be damned. They all eat the same.

In fact, if given a choice, I will almost always shoot an inferior cull animal in preference to a "better" one and I have the mounts to prove it. smile

It's the hunt and the meat, not the wrapping.

Then again.....maybe not! smile

Last edited by las; 01/13/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This is a very old piebald buck that lived it's life in a pen. Lots of folks thought it was albino, but it in fact a piebald deer. This picture was taken in 2018 and the deer was probably 18 years old at that time.

I would have no problem shooting a piebald deer. If I knew that it was a true albino, I would be hesitant to shoot. Would probably just watch and take pictures.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I killed a piebald doe this season. Only one I've ever seen in my life. The hide is with the taxidermist to be tanned now. Big white saddle from shoulder blades to hind quarters. White speckles on hams, shoulders and all the way down front and back legs. Wasn't sure what I was seeing at first as I saw her walking along the edge of the woods on the other side of a field in the gloom nearly 30 minutes past sunset..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just like any other deer-they are no different....If it is a mature albino or piebald, BANG!

I'm not superstitious and killing one does NOTHING to decrease their numbers because it is a mutation of the genes.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A little bit different, but here is a dwarf shot in my home county today.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hook
A little bit different, but here is a dwarf shot in my home county today.

Now I have seen one of those - it was a spike buck about the size of a cocker spaniel. At first I thought I was seeing things, imagining one of those taxidermist's "jackalopes." smile

I did not shoot it.

If not for another witness, my brother, seeing it, I'd still doubt myself.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A friend's cousin shot it. Said it was about medium dog size...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Well, we all know Vic_in_Va's answer to this question !

Never would I ever. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd pass. Not because of some superstition, but just because they're such a rare sight. Where I used to quail hunt, there was one. I saw it often, and looked forward to seeing it. Something you don't soon forget.

That's just me. I'm just sentimental about such things. I wouldn't condemn anyone else for taking any legal deer legally and ethically.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We had a piebald spike cruising around the farm where I hunt last year. I passed him up once and saw him about four more times during hunting season. My son saw him a few times also and said that he'd shoot it if he had the chance. I told him he had enough bad luck as it was and he didn't need anymore. eek

Haven't seen him this year.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/15/22.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They are just deer.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I rarely get the opportunity to go out hunting and of course you never really know what you are going to do until the situation presents itself but I feel like I would just watch probably try to snap a picture. For me it would primarily just the beauty of seeing something different then I normally would. Gonna be honest though a close second is the superstition, I've always heard it ways bad Jo Jo. Have not idea if that's true but I don't find the need to test.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We kill 1 or 2 every year, nothing special about them. Rio7

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Front yard a few years ago.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kandpand

Front yard a few years ago.

Cool pic !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think albinos are freaks and piebalds are pretty cool.

If it is a mature buck, absolutely.
Albino doe probably not.
Piebald doe yes. Really cool piebald doe would be going to the taxidermist.

But I reserve the right to change mind depending on the situation whenever I want. cool

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In a heart beat

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I see one wearing a rack like that, I'm shootin.' shocked

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by skeen
I see one wearing a rack like that, I'm shootin.' shocked

Shouldn't be a problem seeing and shooting that one.....if you have the buck$.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good buck... more than likely.. he will have had a few years to spread his seed.
Doe... probably not... she might drop a buck with the same genetic defect.

Hunt...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CBB
Good buck... more than likely.. he will have had a few years to spread his seed.
You do realize that even if that doe dropped a piebald buck fawn it would likely be miles away after the doe drove it out of her territory and it established it's own right ?

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Local legend down: Chase for White Face ends in victory for 11-year-old Ohio boy

While most deer have black lips and noses, White Face has a white nose and lips, white hooves, and like a lot of piebald and albino deer, it has blue eyes. Tom believes the 8-pointer will score in the 140 range, but its rack size is far less important than the memories it created with him and his son, and the lessons learned in the pursuit of it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another one that doesn't seem lacking in the genetics..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Local legend down: Chase for White Face ends in victory for 11-year-old Ohio boy

While most deer have black lips and noses, White Face has a white nose and lips, white hooves, and like a lot of piebald and albino deer, it has blue eyes. Tom believes the 8-pointer will score in the 140 range, but its rack size is far less important than the memories it created with him and his son, and the lessons learned in the pursuit of it.

That's a pretty cool looking deer. Probably pretty close on the score too (not that it means a hill of beans anyway). Maybe shaman could chime in to get us an approximation. whistle

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I personally wouldn’t kill one, but I wouldn’t shame someone that did.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

That's a pretty cool looking deer. Probably pretty close on the score too (not that it means a hill of beans anyway). Maybe shaman could chime in to get us an approximation. whistle

The Rube Goldberg Ultimate B&C Scoring Machine would measure that buck well north of 200." grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Legal deer + Decent buck = Boom/Flop

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I would shoot it. I would skin it and keep the hide regardless of antler size or it being a doe. Be better in the latter case cause then I could still shoot the buck I want.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother has a place in northern Wi. that has a few albinos hanging around

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve had two piebald deer on cam in the last dozen or so years. One ( the last one from 2-3 years ago) I saw quite often. Had him under my stand in bow season and in rifle season. No idea what ever happened to him. NEver heard of him being killed. He was an odd little guy. Short legged and very stocky. I wondered if that was a genetic trait associated with being piebald. If he shows up this year…. I honestly don’t know if I’d kill him.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have seen a couple, never shot one

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by CBB
You do realize that even if that doe dropped a piebald buck fawn it would likely be miles away after the doe drove it out of her territory and it established it's own right ?

Yeah, I am well aware of yearling buck dispersal.

Hunt...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in the 50's where I hunted whitetail in PA,They were quite common.There were signs up not to shoot them. I would have if I had the opportunity. Have never seen a muley one though.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If legal I would shoot em.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it was a really fine buck, yes. Here's one that went the other way Cookie caught just preseason last fall. It's no longer with us, and no, I did not have a tag.

cool coloration. Never seen that before

Ive seen 1/2 doz piebalds hunting and one 8 point albino. Passed and at that time it was against the law to shoot albinos.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've killed two piebald.
Mercy killing.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Piebald- maybe
Albino-absolutely not

Same here.

It's interesting to hear the sentiments about shooting white deer and how it's considered bad luck by some. Around here it's said that you'll die within one year if you shoot an albino deer.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by nahma_mich
The town of Saint Germain, Wisconsin used to have a whole herd of them wandering around the town. Don't think it was legal to shoot them.

Boulder Junction too. I believe in Wisconsin Albino deer are off limits. I don’t think that applies to Piebalds however.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A buddy hunting with me in Maine shot a piebald. An 8 pointer short of body, when the warden saw it at the check station he thanked him for killing it before it bred.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Absolutely I would

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wife and I were traveling in her car and there was a dead piebald doe along side the road just south of Rutledge GA.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw a piebald 6 point about 15 years ago and I let him walk. He was a young deer in apparently good health and I figured in a couple of years he would be a nice buck for someone. I didn't let him walk because he was a piebald. Never saw him again or heard of him being seen.

5 or 6 years ago my nephew saw this piebald fawn bedded down on the same property that I saw the 6 point on. He didn't bother the fawn and eased out of the area. A couple of years later, on a neighboring property, a friend saw what we think was the same deer. We haven't seen it since.

Last edited by Mathsr; 02/23/22.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Superstitions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot several over the yrs would shoot another one in a heartbeat

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If it was a deer I wanted to shoot otherwise, it wouldn't make a difference to me it it was piebald, albino or not.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Piebald…yes. We have had a few of them in this region, and I would probably shoot one if I had the opportunity. Albino…no. We had a pure Albino doe hanging on the property we hunt back in 2015 and marveled in it’s coolness for about 3 years until it jumped out in front of a neighbor on the main road and got hit and killed. We had a gentlemen’s agreement among the bordering properties to not shoot it. We figured it was a once in a lifetime deer, and so far it has been.

Doc_Holidude

Attached Images
IMG_0723.jpg (5.5 KB, 230 downloads)
Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 04/05/22.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a piebald or albino muley but they do exist. I read that they only appear in about 1 in several million deer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would admire but let walk either whitetail specimens each. Might try to get a pic to show the other hunters I work with and my family..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I’d shoot one for its hide and would tan it hair on. We have quite a few piebald blacktail deer in NW Washington State. I’ve seen at least 15 and maybe 20 of them over the past 25 years plus one pure all white one, though it was not an albino and had a black nose and dark eyes. Whatcom and Skagit counties have some white genes as do Jefferson and Clallam on the Penninsula and Orcas Island.

I saw a pair of twin piebald/Appaloosa marked fawns last week a mile from our house, getting close to yearlings and still with their mother. If they were extremely rare here I’d pass. Saw one partly white deer in Southern California some 50 years ago, Ventura County.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
don't care what color it's hide is , brown grey piebald albino if its legal and offers a killing shooters dead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw one piebald spike on my lease this past year. He had a big blonde patch on the top of his head. I decided not to whack him and let him grow to see how he turns out.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was Michael Jackson piebald?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Had him the scope at maybe 15-20 yards as he and some Does crossed a trail, but didn’t and dug the camera out as he walked into the brush

Glad I let him walk.

Addition: Saw him again later in the season crossing an open field at dark. It was like watching a ghost.

Trying to pick him out on a cell phone screen is like watching a ghost too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike78
I would not shoot one just because it was an albino or piebald, but being piebald or albino wouldn't be the reason to keep me from shooting it.

Same here. It's a genetic trait that makes the deer lees likely to survive and procreate in the wild anyway. Probably best for the herd in the long run to remove them from the population.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I learned long ago not to pass up a good shot at a legal deer be it buck or doe. The myth is that it brings bad luck to shoot a piebald deer but I don't believe it at all.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had to make the decision. If I ever run into one , I’ll make the decision whether to shoot or not like every other time. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late 1980's my buddies property had a piebald doe running around. It was about 90% pure white with a few dark patches. My buddy called it "the albino" and thought it was cool. I could only hunt on his land if I promised not to shoot "the albino". Then; sure enough at first light one morning I had it standing still and broadside to me at no more than 25 yards. Even had a doe tag for that area but at least it was cool to watch it for a few minutes before it wandered off. Then a couple weeks later it got killed down on the highway at the bottom of his hill. Too bad one of us didn't harvest it during deer season. The hide would have been neat to have tanned.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I'd pass. Not because of some superstition, but just because they're such a rare sight. Where I used to quail hunt, there was one. I saw it often, and looked forward to seeing it. Something you don't soon forget.

That's just me. I'm just sentimental about such things. I wouldn't condemn anyone else for taking any legal deer legally and ethically.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In SE Alaska they have the occasional albino black bear. It's illegal to shoot them. Something as rare as either one of those, I'd prefer to just appreciate.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I haven’t read through this whole thing but I really don’t get this aversion to shooting one. It’s a just genetic color abnormality. Why not? It’s actually good for the herd to remove the trait in the long run.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 04/23/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread here; and it reminded me of a herd of white deer that lives on the grounds of the old Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes region of NY State, southeast of Geneva NY. Place got fenced in about 1941 and some white deer that were there gradually became the dominant strain and today there's a whole herd of them still fenced in. They say they aren't true albinos because true albinos have pink eyes. There's a group that has a web site about them at: www.senecawhitedeer.org

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Interesting thread here; and it reminded me of a herd of white deer that lives on the grounds of the old Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes region of NY State, southeast of Geneva NY. Place got fenced in about 1941 and some white deer that were there gradually became the dominant strain and today there's a whole herd of them still fenced in. They say they aren't true albinos because true albinos have pink eyes. There's a group that has a web site about them at: www.senecawhitedeer.org

Wow, cool.

Some decent buck pics too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found another pic of our albino doe with a friend. Like Cariboujack posted…sometimes it’s better to just appreciate.

Doc_Holidude

Attached Images
Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 04/23/22.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Probly 30 years ago, in NY southern tier, I had a piebald spike horn come off the hill in front of me. Would have been an easy standing shot. I passed, not because of the spikes, but I figured it’s unusual and I’d like to run into him again. Thought it was a goat coming through the woods at first.

Unfortunately, another member of our party wasn’t as impressed by the piebald coloring. He shot at it but didn’t think he hit it. Turns out that he did and we found the carcass a few days later. Even now I don’t think I’d shoot one.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you do "the Hoodoo will put the voodoo" on you!!!! Way too pretty to look at for me, couldn't do it ( and I ain't scared of the Devil himself!) lol

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A buddy of mine shot a 10 point 180 lb buck in Maine that was piebald. Had an odd body, not in proportion. A couple wardens came over to camp to see it and thanked him for killing it before it bred.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, I would shoot a piebald deer, given the opportunity.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, just another deer for the freezer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think piebald is all that uncommon. On the battlefields at Yorktown, Va, I've seen quite a few, one with a white belly that wraps around both sides so the deer only has a brown stripe down its back connecting its brown shoulders and rump. I guess they just pass the piebald gene around.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just me,
But I do not think I would, unless it was wounded or sick.
And legal to do so.
To each his own.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if it stood still….

Used to see white ones near Dulles Airport when I was working and along 15 near Leesburg.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nope, don’t really care to kill anymore.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 22250rem

Seen them a bunch of times driving up to Belhurst. Did a double take the first time I saw four white deer feeding right off the side of the road.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a pure albino deer should be shot they can carry diseases and don`t have good enough genes to fight of sicknesses as easy either. i would never eat a albino anything. you want a healthy deer heard you shot these inferior deer period .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've shot a couple of piebalds and would do so again given the opportunity. Everything I've read states it's caused by inbreeding and those I've shot had shorter legs and goat like appearances. Don't want or need them in a healthy deer population.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,139
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.