Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Would You Shoot an Albino or Piebald Deer?

I've never seen an albino nor piebald deer and if I did, I'm not sure if I'd shoot or not. Where legal, of course.

How 'bout you?

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunt...m_term=0_387276506e-7c525c94b7-536236490

Originally Posted by Field & Stream, SCOTT BESTUL

I Passed Up an Albino Buck. And a Piebald Doe. The Reasons Why May Surprise You.

Why do so many of us give these genetically inferior animals special treatment? Are they just venison in a different wrapper or something much more?

BY SCOTT BESTUL | PUBLISHED JAN 6, 2022 6:00 PM

Albino and piebald deer have been in the news lately, here and in other venues, as they seem to be every fall. And every time I read these reports, I am transported to a pair of encounters that happened to me many years ago.

Both memories are linked to Buffalo County, Wisconsin, which has long dominated the B&C record book as America’s top trophy county. Buffalo is also well-known (though mainly by locals) for its population of albino whitetails, although they were the furthest thing from my mind as I bowhunted my friend’s farm one early November afternoon. The rut was building, and I was on a hardwood ridge connecting a pair of farm fields. Conditions were perfect for rattling, so I grabbed my antlers, cracked them together a few times, and then paused to listen. The unmistakable shuffle of a buck plodding through leaves had me hanging the horns and reaching for my bow as quickly as possible.

I still remember the flashes of white I saw as the buck approached and, this being dairy country, I also remember wondering if some stray, lonely Holstein had heard me and was looking for company. Then the full, stark-white head and neck of the buck emerged from the cover, followed by a broad flank that made me think of a winged Pegasus. The 10-pointer tromped to the edge of bow range, looked around for the fight and–seeing none–flicked his tail and walked on. Though fully protected by state law, that buck would have been safe from me regardless of statute. Maybe you can’t say that I passed him, given the law, but I certainly would have. I’ve been deer hunting for nearly 50 years, and I still count that encounter as one of my most memorable and certainly most mythic.

What About Piebald Deer? Are they as Sacred as True Albinos?

The second encounter occurred on a late-season bowhunt, on a different farm in the same county. While I’d heard rumors of a piebald doe frequenting that property, I had not seen her in almost three seasons of hard hunting. All of that changed on a December afternoon when I trudged through the snow to a stand overlooking an apple orchard. I’d not tagged a deer that fall and vowed to arrow the first legal deer I encountered. My resolve wilted when I spotted a doe heading toward the orchard that seemed to appear and disappear as her splotchy white body slid through trees and brush.

I’ve had several deer track me to my stand over the years, but none as memorable as this one. When the piebald doe encountered my boot track, she buried her nose in the print, popped her head up to look around, then high-stepped to the next track and repeated the inspection. Within minutes she was no more than 10 yards away. The albino buck had been mesmerizing, but this dappled doe was simply beautiful, with cream-white patches on her neck, pure-white markings on her shoulders and flank, and a pear-shaped saddle on her back that reminded me of an Appaloosa horse.

She stood there long enough that I had time to engage in a little argument with myself. On one hand, this was a perfectly legal deer, and I had an empty freezer. And wouldn’t that hide look amazing tanned and tacked on my den wall? On the other hand, well, she was simply the prettiest whitetail I had ever seen in many decades of watching whitetails. When I hung my bow back up on its hook, the doe looked up at me, decided that the shivering blob she’d spotted looked perfectly natural skylit in the tree, wagged her tail, and walked off. Over the years I’ve had several friends tell me I was crazy not to take such a unique trophy, but I have never doubted the correct side won the argument that day. That doe lived for five more seasons before disappearing from that farm and, while it has been years since I hunted there, I like to think she left a string of offspring, some of them never losing their spots come fall.

The Reasons to Pass White Deer Are Not All Touchy-Feely

I tell these tales not only because I like to remember them, but also as proof that I understand people, including many hunters, who argue that white, or even semi-white, deer are special and need our protection. You hear some of these folks pipe up any time an albino whitetail story appears. If a hunter kills a legal white buck, he gets bashed for being some sort of troglodyte, or if an albino is spared, the responsible party is held up as some kind of special savior. It’s all a bit much. Anyone who thinks white deer should be protected in states they are not ought to contact their DNR and start a petition—not troll legal hunters.

The truth is, hunters who argue there’s no biological reason for protect white deer have some solid arguments for making them legal game. The same recessive gene that gives albinos their unusual color also makes them prone to diseases that don’t plague other deer; the buck I passed that long-ago day lived to be 9½ years old, and while it grew a huge rack (another rarity, as many albino bucks have stunted antlers most of their lives), it had to be killed by a warden as it wandered blindly (literally) down the middle of a road in daylight. Albinos are also more susceptible to predation than other deer. Finally, in an age of CWD and other diseases, why should a genetically inferior, more-disease-susceptible member of the species get a pass?

I get all of the these arguments. They are practical and logical. But practicality and logic aren’t everything. There’s beauty and awe to consider. When I reflect on my nearly 50 years of deer hunting, I realize how important it is to me that my sport possesses moments of beauty; if chasing whitetails just boiled down to filling a freezer or filling up an empty spot on the trophy wall, I probably would have become bored long ago. Instead, I return to the woods every fall to witness things that I can’t anywhere else—and often return home with nothing more tangible than a memory. The white deer I’ve encountered are etched in my mind as indelibly as any trophy buck. Even all these years later, I can see those deer in my mind’s eye and feel a sense of awe that distills the reason I go to the woods in the first place.

But there’s more to it than that—maybe surprisingly so for some. Many people think that the reasons for passing up white deer are all sentimental and touchy-feely. In fact, there are solid practical reasons rooted in biology. It’s not easy for a white deer, or a piebald deer for that matter, to produce a similarly-pigmented fawn. Both conditions are the result of a recessive gene, and, more to the point, both parents of a fawn must have that recessive gene to produce a white deer, and even then it’s no guarantee. In other words, the taking of only a handful of albino whitetails from an existing herd could have long-term implications for future survival; a 2001 story in the Minnesota DNR magazine The Volunteer notes that even if a buck with the albino gene successfully mates with a doe of similar genetic makeup, they have only a 1-in-4 chance of producing an albino fawn. The obvious proof of this is the fact that in places where they are protected, you have a decent chance of seeing an albino deer, whereas it’s especially rare outside of those places.

We value things that are rare in nature, whether they are precious metals or trophy bucks. Estimates place albino deer at about 1 in 20,000 or more, or about .005 percent. Less than 2 percent of whitetails are piebald. In other words, they are rare, indeed, and so it makes perfect sense to give them extra value and want to preserve them.

I would never take a fellow hunter to task for shooting an albino or piebald deer in a legal hunting situation. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I saw a pic of a hunter posing in a hero shot with a piebald buck and I honestly thought: How cool. What an awesome trophy for him. But in the two meetings I’ve had with white–or partially-white deer—I barely lifted a finger to grab my bow. They were amazing, mesmerizing experiences and therefore ones I hope my fellow hunters get to enjoy, and the best way to ensure that is not to shoot these deer.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had an opportunity to take a piebald doe. My great grandmother was a full blooded Onondaga Indian who lived on the reservation near Syracuse. We visited her when I was young and listened to her stories. When I saw the piebald I put my scope on it and I swear I heard my great grandmothers voice in my ear say “ bad medicine to kill the white deer”. Chilled me to the bone. I lowered my gun and just watched the beautiful doe walk away. Every hunter must make this very personal choice and I don’t criticize whatever it is. For me my great grandmother guided my choice and I will never put another in my scope.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably not.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Been there. Done that. She tasted just as good as any other doe.

We used to have a whole herd of piebald deer running around our place in the city. There was one buck that grew to 12 points. He showed up lame one year with a big gash in his side. After that, he disappeared.

Last edited by shaman; 01/11/22.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would not.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s a genetic abnormality, if it was a legal buck or a decent sized doe yes. Because,why not? And I would get the hide tanned because you don’t see them very often.

Would you not shoot a color phase Black bear?

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 01/11/22.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a good question. I have never seen one so what would I do. Part of me says respect the rarity of the animal. The other part of me says that genetically inferior to diseases it should be removed from the breeding stock. If it was legal to shoot I probably would leave it due to the rarity so that it can produce more.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would not shoot one just because it was an albino or piebald, but being piebald or albino wouldn't be the reason to keep me from shooting it.

Last edited by Mike78; 01/11/22.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I would and did! He was running with a larger buck which was completely ignored when I got a good look at this one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If big enough, kapow.
Tan the hide, grill the straps.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Piebald- maybe
Albino-absolutely not

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had him the scope at maybe 15-20 yards as he and some Does crossed a trail, but didn’t and dug the camera out as he walked into the brush

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Glad I let him walk.

Addition: Saw him again later in the season crossing an open field at dark. It was like watching a ghost.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A buck...Yes.

Camp is where you make it.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Seen 1 albino doe, just 1 in all my years on the ranch. Out moving irrigation pipe when she popped up on the edge of the meadow. Not hunting season, so I just took the time to watch.

Pretty cool.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
Piebald- maybe
Albino-absolutely not

That is kind of the way I'm leaning.

But then again, none of us really knows until the situation is in front of us.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A large Ranch I used to manage in the TX Hill Country had 3 Albino does. They were off limits.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm curious why the aversion to shooting an albino?

I guess it's illegal in some states? So, that is an obvious reason.

Anything else driving this?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'm curious why the aversion to shooting an albino?

I guess it's illegal in some states? So, that is an obvious reason.

Anything else driving this?

^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

It's just an animal, not like it's a little boy or a girl
If it's legal, I'm sure it's still got 2 shoulders and
2 quarters and 2 backstraps just like a brown deer
and bleeds red when you poke a hole through it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have. A young doe, with a flintlock.

Was going to get the hide tanned,
until we got it home.
It was in the back of Dad's Blazer, he went into the house and hollered
"Mary, get out here. Look at this, your boy shot someone's goat!"

She got instantly pissed. Started hitting me.
When we unloaded it and she saw it was a deer, she insisted we get rid
of it. We have the meat away and threw the hide away

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Just a genetic mutation in regards to hair color. In a biological sense they are no better and no worse than any other deer. If legal I'd shoot.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.