Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have had glasses for two years. Bifocals. When I look through a scope I see two horizonal and two vertical reticles. I have to move the glasses down or take them off to see correctly through the scope. I addition I used to be a very good shot with a shotgun and with the glasses on I see double front beads. Can't shoot for crap! Even miss woodcock which rarely happened. My dog doesn't even like me anymore as he just turns and looks at me. And binoculars are not a pleasure to use any more since I see much better with glasses off but I need them on to see other things. I have tried adjusting the binos with my glasses on but it still isn't as clear as using my naked eye and adjusted as such.

I think it is time for contacts but I don't know. What are ya'lls thoughts??

I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it here.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Adjust your scope to match your required eye sight and wear shooting glasses.I have found no solution for binos except take my glasses off

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tried that. Doesn't work. I still see double reticles. I think part of my eye looks though the top part of the glasses and part through the bifocal. And I have the double shotgun bead.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Truth, I can’t shoot for beans wearing bi focal or progressive lenses, my Optometrist who also was a shooter suggested single (distance) correction shooting glasses, problem is that I have to change glasses as I can’t read for beans but it made a big difference in scope clarity.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CWT, I've experienced the same thing. I went from excellent vision my whole life to needing progressive tri-focals two years ago. I can't use my regular prescription to shoot. I did something similar as to what Swifty52 mentioned. I got shooting glasses with 1.5 magnification (I think). I can read reasonably well and I can shoot using them. If there is a better solution, I'm in. Right now, that's what works for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My problem exactly. Well I guess it is either shooting glasses or contacts. Then carry reading glasses in case I need to look at the phone or map or something. Dang.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Perhaps the bi-focal glasses you have do not fit you.

I use progressive's with no issue, when fitted I was asked what I do, vocation, sports etc.

This can have a bearing on where the transition line is on the lens.

Mine are set low, so it does not interfere with a rifle scope or anything else for that matter.

BTW they where $1300 so they should function with out reservation, and do.

Another thing is 'double vision' when looking at the retical. This may be a result of a cataract that is slowly getting worse, happened to me. New lens and everything is back to normal.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
It sounds like you need the bifocal line moved lower. Or a dedicated pair of shooing glasses with the line way lower so you can still read with them if ya need to , like a scope adjustment or something.

For a try with contacts, monovision might be worth a looksee. whistle A close up lens in one eye & distance in the other. I used to wear bifocals(progressives) & was near the need for tri-focals. I got monovision Lasik's instead. The mono really confused my shotgun shooting at first, but I got used to it. Rifle shooting was fine from the start, & pistol shooting took some getting used to but not much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CWT
I addition I used to be a very good shot with a shotgun and with the glasses on I see double front beads. Can't shoot for crap! Even miss woodcock which rarely happened. My dog doesn't even like me anymore as he just turns and looks at me. . What are ya'lls thoughts??

First rule in shotgunning is to look at the target, not the end of your barrel. That solves your shotgun shooting issue.

For the rifle scope, you'll just have to try things to get around it. I shoot with glasses. I set my scopes up to do so by wearing the glasses while focusing the reticle and eliminating parallax.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This mirrors my experience too. I simply went back to contacts and carry reading glasses and life was good again.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been wearing glasses my whole life and would more than likely poke out an eye if I went to contact as I'm used to having glasses protect my eyes. I have my lined bifocal set low in the glass so I have no trouble looking over them. I will say that when I had cataract surgery I had double vision for a couple years until my brain figured it out. The first season after the surgery I missed 16 ducks in a row and it always pissed me off when I would close one eye and half the flock would disappear. It did end my International skeet shooting as I was at the age where a two year break and I lost the edge..

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As a bifocal eye glasses wearer, I have played with this issue a bit and found ways around my early troubles. I have single line bifocals, with the line relatively low, such that when shooting a scoped rifle I am naturally looking through the top portion.

I also have dedicated bifocal shooting glasses, two pairs with several sets of lenses. The reading portion of these glasses is small and very low, and is not noticeable during shooting, shotgun, rifle or handgun. Very easy to get used to these and easy to read a scorecard, etc.

With respect to using a binocular, I learned a very hard lesson many years ago that there is a wide disparity among binoculars in eye relief. I now have two with eye relief of 20mm which fill the bill. The glasses off business with a binocular is a bad idea, and I paid dearly for it many years ago in a missed opportunity.

Last edited by GF1; 01/11/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CWT
I tried that. Doesn't work. I still see double reticles. I think part of my eye looks though the top part of the glasses and part through the bifocal. And I have the double shotgun bead.

Then get rid of the bifocal and use shooting glasses..99.9999% of the best shots in the world use shooting glasses, and don't have the problem. If you want bifocals for shooting glasses they can place them low and out of the way..

However, as Rick said...and believe me he knows....if you are looking at the bead you are doing it wrong.

Last edited by battue; 01/11/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
To try first,go to Walmart and buy a pair of their cheap glasses. 1:25 or 1:50 power. They also have some cheap stick on ones in various powers that you can put on your shooting glasses,with a drop of water

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
I wear contacts most of the time, When I look through a scope with glasses on , the reticle does not look square, meaning the horizontal and vertical do not look square to each other. Never tried to shoot with them on to see, but wonder if there is something I could do to correct it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a set of single vision glasses with interchangeable lenses of different colors. They work really well for shotgun. I have trifocals glasses. With a scope I just have to push them a touch up on my nose to get rid of the split vision effect. Just have to take them off for binoculars.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In Marine boot camp, recruits with glasses were instructed to tape an earplug to the bridge of their glasses. We would tape the plug on with medical/athletic tape and then paint the tape black with a sharpie.

Get a good set of dedicated shooting glasses and try them on while in shooting positions to see how they will look while your head is tilted forward. Or, get an earplug and some tape.

The point is to be looking through the center of your lenses and not through the top of the lenses.

As far as using binoculars go, I would recommend a good “brain strap”. A good retention strap for your glasses will be useful when you want to take the glasses off to use the binos without having to worry about setting the glasses down or losing the glasses.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 01/11/22.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Give these folks a call. They may be able to help you. I have shooting glasses from them where the bifocal is a small half moon at the bottom. I can use it to read close things.

https://www.decot.com/

Al

Spend your life wisely.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
To try first,go to Walmart and buy a pair of their cheap glasses. 1:25 or 1:50 power.

That's what I do when wearing my contacts for distance and wish to shoot with iron sights. Focuses the sights to usable definition, and doesn't blur the target badly. The technique that allows me to hunt with a primitive muzzle loader is to perch a pair of 1.25x readers down on the tip of my nose and when I shoulder the rifle I push them up in front of my eye with my right thumb with the same motion.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear progressives. I use medium height rings and set for the top of my glasses. I shot F-Class that way.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.