Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by bluefish
I just don't see how 3-4" of barrel makes a rifle "handier".

Wow,,,,, and with a comment like that, it's pretty obvious you don't get out much, let alone traverse the pucker-brush and alders,,,,, and this Bbl length discussion, is more in-line with Mr. Brown Bear, or that interior Grizz,,,,,, and not getting off a shot at some white tail deer. Lj cool

Last edited by AK375DGR; 01/21/22. Reason: spelling...

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
OK! THIS THREAD IS GETTING STUPID!!!

Hip

Whose hands are pulling your strings?

Not yours ! That is for sure. The thread is about caliber NOT barrel length.

Go back to sleep!

Hip

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Does 9.3x62 hold 5 down in a standard Winchester classic action?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yes.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve got a classic 375 action waiting on a stock but dang 5 down is pretty convincing for a round that’s 95% of the ass of a 375.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Having used both for years, I’ll say you’d never notice a difference in the field between the two.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Hip

Go back to sleep!

Hip

Settle down, Kaitlyn.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ironbender

Hip

Go back to sleep!

Hip

Settle down, Karen.

Fixted...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hip

Go back to sleep!

Hip

Actually, it is about cartridges. And you obviously have zero personal knowledge nor experience to add. Barrel length is a huge factor when discussing cartridges. If you knew anything you would know that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the more interesting experiments I've made is comparing the same 9.3x62 ammo in a 21"-inch barreled CZ 550 Stutzen (which most Americans would call a "Mannlicher" model) with the 23.6" barreled CZ 550 sporter I've been using for 20 years now.

The biggest lost in muzzle velocity was around 75 fps, if I recall correctly, but one factory load actually got slightly more velocity from the 21" barrel. This was all done on the same day, with the same chronograph.

From this I deduced that the barrel length wouldn't make any difference in "killing power," but would with rifle handling in thick cover....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This thread almost got the better of me….which ain’t hard considering my level of loonyism. I’ve got a pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 that I almost sent to JES to rebore in 9.3x62 because Mainer and Mr. Brnbear are bad influences whose opinions I hold dear. Once I came to my senses and decided I didn’t need a new caliber with the attendant dies, bullets, etc that a new caliber in one’s arsenal requires I decided to instead stay with my 9x62…aka the .35 Whelen. 😁. Since I already have a 20” Whelen I’ll keep the model 70 at 24” and that’ll be for my wife or son in certain country. If anyone is going into the brush where a short barrel heavy hitter is needed I’ll take the 20” Whelen or one of the 20” .338 Win mags. I did pick up some 280gr Swift A-Frames so I can pretend it’s a 9.3 but inside I’ll always feel 3/10mm short and I’ll always know it’s only a 9x62. 😂. I intend to load the 250gr A-Frames and the 280gr A-Frames but I’ll likely use the 225gr TTSX as my do-it-all bullet.

I have decided (thanks again to Mainer 😉) that our daughter’s model 7 in .243 is going to become her new .338 Federal after it gets the JES treatment. I’d rebarrel her model 7 but for the price difference I can rebore 2 rifles for less than a barrel and a smith. I had to figure out how to get good use from all those 185gr .338 bonded bullets from Midway and the model 7 was screaming for a facelift.

Great thread guys. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Now that we're back on the 9.3x62 train of thought ...

I went back the next day to pick up a couple more boxes of 250 gr 338 cal Accubonds they had on the shelf and saw the 9.3x62 ammo again, figured I'd buy a box for my collection and when the kid put both boxes on the counter I said hell with it and bought both !

Went home and did some searching on the web for the ammo by plugging in the upc, item number, name on box and multiple different ways to find something just like it ... Zilch .... all the searches came up with the 285 gr PSP Core-Lokt ammo and zero mention of "Bronze Point"

Both boxes contain the 285 gr PSP-CL ammo, no such "Bronze Point" bullet in the boxes even though it's what the box indicates ... boxes made that way by Remington ....... Bronze Point across the box and the front flap also shows 285 gr PSP R93X621 , searching that # leads to the 285 gr Core-Lokt ammo, one big circle with zero info on the BP part ...

Maybe someone switched up the ammo and nobody ever noticed, I've no clue ... the weird thing is I can't find anything on the internet about a 285 gr .366"/9.3 caliber Bronze Point bullet ....

just so y'all don't think I'm haloosinationing, here's some pics ....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
and a heads up to 9.3 shooters,

the Norma US website has the 285 gr Oryx bullet on sale at $34.99 per 50 ct box versus Midway at $51.99 per box( also 4 in stock)

Norma 9.3 cal 285 gr Oryx

Midway 9.3 cal 285 gr Oryx

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord
and a heads up to 9.3 shooters,

the Norma US website has the 285 gr Oryx bullet on sale at $34.99 per 50 ct box versus Midway at $51.99 per box( also 4 in stock)

Norma 9.3 cal 285 gr Oryx

Midway 9.3 cal 285 gr Oryx

How does this Norma orx bullet compare to the swift A-Frames in terms of holding together and bonding?

Last edited by remingtonman; 01/22/22.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Oryx bullets tend to retain about the same percentage of weight as A-Frames, but open up a little wider.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Oryx bullets tend to retain about the same percentage of weight as A-Frames, but open up a little wider.

Awesome, I’m going to be heading to Alaska in the near future and will be taking either my 9.3x62 or my 300win mag. I have some 286 partitions and the 250 AB but I would like to reload some of these orx projectiles to try out over a dose of big game 😛

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Now that we're back on the 9.3x62 train of thought ...

I went back the next day to pick up a couple more boxes of 250 gr 338 cal Accubonds they had on the shelf and saw the 9.3x62 ammo again, figured I'd buy a box for my collection and when the kid put both boxes on the counter I said hell with it and bought both !

Went home and did some searching on the web for the ammo by plugging in the upc, item number, name on box and multiple different ways to find something just like it ... Zilch .... all the searches came up with the 285 gr PSP Core-Lokt ammo and zero mention of "Bronze Point"

Both boxes contain the 285 gr PSP-CL ammo, no such "Bronze Point" bullet in the boxes even though it's what the box indicates ... boxes made that way by Remington ....... Bronze Point across the box and the front flap also shows 285 gr PSP R93X621 , searching that # leads to the 285 gr Core-Lokt ammo, one big circle with zero info on the BP part ...

Maybe someone switched up the ammo and nobody ever noticed, I've no clue ... the weird thing is I can't find anything on the internet about a 285 gr .366"/9.3 caliber Bronze Point bullet ....

just so y'all don't think I'm haloosinationing, here's some pics ....

I just looked at my Remington 9.3x62 ammo and it's the same down to the barcode with the exception that my boxes only show that it's Express Rifle.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slightly off topic, but I'll try ( related the "how a 9.3x62 handles with respect to barrel length" comments)

For you who have done it, or would do it again to "make it better", and were going to rebarrel (not rebore) a bolt action - let's say going from a 30-06 to 9.3x62 - what muzzle diameter and taper would /did you chose? For 20". 22" or 24" long barrel?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by buttstock
Slightly off topic, but I'll try ( related the "how a 9.3x62 handles with respect to barrel length" comments)

For you who have done it, or would do it again to "make it better", and were going to rebarrel (not rebore) a bolt action - let's say going from a 30-06 to 9.3x62 - what muzzle diameter and taper would /did you chose? For 20". 22" or 24" long barrel?

I’m thinking about doing this for one my savage rifles.
Rebarrel with a Shaw barrel 18” with a sporter diameter of .650-.700

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by remingtonman
Originally Posted by buttstock

I’m thinking about doing this for one my savage rifles.
Rebarrel with a Shaw barrel 18” with a sporter diameter of .650-.700

I don't generally like carbines because many are just cut off barrel that balance poor. I think you are on the right to make your rifle balance well.

I do like carbines that balance well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 21 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.