Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Off site storage, I'd be glad to help! grin

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

BP-B6

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Fotis, I once also had two safes, both full along with storage in several closets. I am a realist, and as I grew older I realized that I had rifles that had not been used in years, and were NOT going to see daylight in my lifetime. So I sold the second safe, starting gifting, and selling rifles at reasonable prices, and have reduced the herd by at least 1/2 and still have more than I shoot. Philosophically I cannot justify having a weapon that I do not use nor will ever use, when I know others that would enjoy it and use it. That's my .02

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Au contraire! I want to be able to look at them and work on them. It's tough to do that in a closet or safe.

Ditch the safes, tell the kid to get a job and use that extra bedroom.

Take protective measures if that's an issue...Tom

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teeder
I solved that by not keeping anything that isn't used. I'm down to 5 centerfires with the intention of getting to 3-4.

I do not keep what I do not use. Though I have about 20 other rifles currently, they are only for retirement supplement after I finish playing with them. My main hunting rifles are few.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I solved that by not keeping anything that isn't used. I'm down to 5 centerfires with the intention of getting to 3-4.

I'm in that process as well. I have a few more to purge, then I'm gtg.

It doesn't suck having all your hunting/target needs covered, but also having space in the safe to access them.

IC B2

Fotis Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Yep....good plan in theory but I have tried many times with limited success 😁.....Hb

Me too with no success

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Yep....good plan in theory but I have tried many times with limited success 😁.....Hb

Me too with no success

Same. But it’s nice to have goals.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You can usually fit a few in front of the others, muzzle down and butts resting on the sidewalls.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have too many too!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I suggest you clean out a closet. Have a yard sale, consolidate or give it all to Goodwill. Turn the closet into a safe. Two options:

1) If you just want to keep honest folk and kids out, then pull sheet rock off the inside, install chicken wire or other barrier to create a little discomfort in trying to access through the wall then put up new rock. Install a new 16 ga metal door with a grade 1 commercial lock and install a latch guard. This should be sufficient.

2) If you want something more like a safe, then take the inside rock off, line all the studs with at least 1/4" steel plates and maybe put a few strips of stainless across them, then put up a layer or two of 5/8" fire rated rock. Don't forget to line the ceiling and floor with steel. Get a 3/8" steel channel frame and secure to a reinforced header and jamb studs and then hang a vault door on it. That should suffice.

Add a small air vent and return to help keep the temp and humidity right or at least put dryers in there.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You aren't doing it right, according to Pat McManus.

You are supposed to have just one long rack that can be added to, always leaving a space or two empty at the end so your wife doesn't catch on.

Or use the las method. Crap -looking, but accurate, guns no one in their right mind would want to steal. smile

Last edited by las; 01/12/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Fotis; although never having had "lots" of guns I was up to 30 at one point, I have fewer now. I have three gun lockers in the house, one in my gun room two in the utility room. Smaller lockers or safes in other parts of the house a possible solution? If there is enough height in your gun room you could put those plastic covered hooks for hanging bicycles into the beams and use two to hang rifles. Trigger locks is needed for security. It would look goofy but it would give added storage space.

Good luck finding solution.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Okay guys this may sound silly but I have a dilemma. I have two huge safes in my house and they are full to capacity plus. It's gotten so bad I have to spend 5 minutes empting out my reloading man cave before I can get enough space to reload again. How do you guys with a lot of rifles store them? Any help would be appreciated.

buy another safe. You can always find some place to put it

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Quick detach rings really help with the scoped rifles. Might get expensive converting all of them though if they do not already have QD’s on them.
That was my initial solution. Now I still need another safe…

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tom25/06: That is what I did - my home "had" a "Mormon Pantry" in it (a large room with solid walls and cement foundation walls and NO windows) into a gun vault room.
I bought a steel door and special closure system then had that room added to my security/alarm system and I feel MUCH security now and for the last many years.
By coincidence I had filled my guns safes (which are NOW inside my gun vault room) up as well - that got me motivated to renovate, re-alarm and reinforce.
Best of luck to you but I hope you will either get another gun-safe or do some serious remodeling/reinforcing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Built a "storm shelter" in my basement when I built the house. 14' x 12', 10 inch concrete walls, concrete floor and ceiling and vault door. Enough room for the guns. Don't use it for anything else.....reload in another area.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well Fotis, since you clearly have about twice as many rifles as I do and have triggered my jealousy, I can tell you where you can put your rifles; but, then you'll be mad at me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have two safes as well. I sold quite a few rifles over the past few years. Most I regret. I have scaled down a small I try to have an honest conversation with myself about selling any more. I NEVER sell one now without waiting at least a month from initial urge to purge! It’s saved quite a few😂

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Okay guys this may sound silly but I have a dilemma. I have two huge safes in my house and they are full to capacity plus. It's gotten so bad I have to spend 5 minutes empting out my reloading man cave before I can get enough space to reload again. How do you guys with a lot of rifles store them? Any help would be appreciated.

buy another safe. You can always find some place to put it

^^^^^^

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As I noted above, you can add significant capacity to your safes by using this system. Remove all existing "rack" and replace with the rods.

https://www.storemoreguns.com/gun-safe-accessories/long-gun-storage/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,158 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.