Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Didn't see a spot for NZ posts, so I figured y'all might be able to help.

Is there a company in NZ or OZ that makes really quality camo for extreme hunting? Similar to the US sitka gear

Thanks

GB1

R
R

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks! It looks like they just carry first lite. I was looking for something made over there. I am curious what the serious hunters wear over there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Swanndri and Swazi are popular, plus the regular stuff you see here.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
hunters element is pretty good value. i rock their odyssey jacket. it's miles better in design then sitka/kuiu. i'm not hunting west coast tahr anymore so outside of a couple alaska trips it hasn't been used properly too much.

swazi guy is a kook.

stoney creek has some good stuff. had a long bush coat for about 5 years and it never bobbled

sika is entry level gear. but definitely tough.

there's a couple others.

last trip i went in 2018 there were a lot more guys rocking kuiu type kit and not short shorts, long johns and long bush coat.

kathmandu and mac pac are similar to our eddie bauer/north face. have a rain coat setup from kathmandu for toddlers and it's lasted 7 years and 4 kids.

IC B2

F
F
What are you wanting it for? What is your definition of extreme.

I live here in NZ and I think what guys wear and what works are two completely different things. I have used a variety of most NZ brand (most made in china/thailand) apparel. Some good, some terrible. I have also recently started using a lot of Kuiu gear and have put it through its paces. Again some of it good, some not so much.

NZ, by and large, has a lot of rainfall. You can almost guarantee that you will get some rainfall at some point on your hunt, if you don’t you are lucky. Most hunters in NZ would base there hunting gear around effective rainwear first and foremost and you see this reflected in the designs the NZ companies put out. One feature I love here and it’s found very rarely outside NZ hunting designs is the long tailed rain jacket that covered the arse. Here is an example https://swazi.co.nz/products/rtxv?variant=40107495063737. This design is great as it stops the rain going down you pants. You can sit down and not get a we bum when glassing or taking a break. This is also a good example of why the purpose is more important. Swazi makes two Thar rain jackets. One is a more durable one, the other lighter but fragile. Bush hunting is arguable the most common form of hunting in NZ and requires you to walk through thick bush looking for animals. You cannot wear a lightweight rain jacket like the Thar Ultralight if you want it to last longer than an hour or two. Hunting on the tops where its steep and free of bush is where that one is designed to be used.

A a general rule we have reasonably mild temperatures. Short of guys hunting Thar in the alpine areas we don’t get below freezing too often. Fleece clothing is therefor popular here because its warmth to weight ratio is good and importantly it dries quickly! I was recently on a hunt in fiordland using a lot of Kuiu gear. The merino top I was using was great for keeping one warm, even when wet, but it basically never dried out for the 10 day hunt I was on. The Kuiu rain jacket I had was amazing, i just wish it had a long tail.

Long story short I don’t think we have anything here that outperforms Kuiu or Sitka. The quality of there gear in my opinion is of a superior quality than what we produce by and large. That’s not say there are some gems in there. I would argue our rain gear is generally slightly better and more durable than US stuff for our conditions but at the same time it’s heavier.

For reference here are the main providers

Swazi.co.nz
Hunterselement.co.nz
https://huntechoutdoors.com
https://www.ridgelineclothing.co.nz/
https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Gents,

My purpose was to just see what types of stuff y'all used in comparison to the sitka stuff I run. Generally, I hunt in Montana for several days at a time in Alpine and sub alpine areas. Snow and rain are common.

Also, on a side note, I am aiming to come over to NZ in a few years for stag if possible. (If the covid crap ever dies down and folks are allowed in to NZ)

Thanks again! If anyone is interested in trading a hunt, please let me know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swazi is a good brand.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

73 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.