Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Truth, I can’t shoot for beans wearing bi focal or progressive lenses, my Optometrist who also was a shooter suggested single (distance) correction shooting glasses, problem is that I have to change glasses as I can’t read for beans but it made a big difference in scope clarity.

This.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been wearing glasses for over 60 years and progressives for almost 20. Your optometrist set the transition on your lenses too high. You need to get new lenses.
As far as the binocular situation, as a lifelong eyeglass wearer I have struggled with that situation a lot. The first binocular that gave me adequate eye relief to be able to keep my glasses on and get full FOV are my Tract 8x42's.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
CWT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses. Good info

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using binoculars and scopes while wearing glasses since I was a teenager. My vision is not particularly good, but I've never had a problem shooting with either eye, and I currently wear lineless bifocals. I would make sure you have the eyepiece of the scope adjusted correctly for your eye. Beyond that, I'm not sure what would help.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin, some binoculars are made with a longer eye relief, don't remember wich off hand but cousin has some bushnell ones about $400.00 up here so you should pay about $2.95! I've looked through these and Swarovski, there's a difference but dam the price diff is like wow. Heard a rumour that bushnell bought a small comp. to get this new tech??? Anyone hear the same? Bill. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
https://www.bausch.com/our-products/surgical-products/cataract-surgery/crystalens-ao-lens I had the same problem with my vision. I am retired now but I worked as a firefighter/paramedic for 25 years. I had a problem because I had to wear a pair of reading glasses to read the map book responding to calls. Then I had to wear safety glasses when working on patients. Then when responding to fire calls I would have to pack out wearing bunker gear and a self contained breathing apparatus mask. I would have to wear reading glasses, safety glasses and during the day, sunglasses around my neck all at the same time. It was a real pain in the ass. I tried contact lens and that didn't work out for me. I went to the eye doctor to see if Lasik surgery would help. He recommended this crystalens. Check it out. solved all my problems. Works great for shooting too. I see like I did when I was 20 years old again. I have had the lens for about 15 years now. To give you an idea of my vision, When I would drive I could not read the numbers on my speedometer without glasses. 15 minutes after implanting the crystal lens I could read the fine print on a newspaper. The lens allows you to focus near and far like a normal eye works. you don't have to choose if you want to see near or far. I haven't worn glasses since the lens implant.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I started wearing glasses a couple of years ago too. Bifocals as well. I leave them in my pocket when rifle hunting with a scope. Fortunately I can still spot animals without glasses.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wear progressives and have found the work better for me than bifocals. One eye has a different prescription than the other and with binoculars I take my glasses off, sight the right eye on a fixed object and bring it into focus then I close my right eye and adjust the focal ring on the left tube into focus. If that makes sense.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I had that problem myself. I forced myself to shoot my scopes with both eyes open. With both eyes open it makes picking up on target a lot easier. That has made shooting squirrels that can't sit still less of a problem.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Shoot with out glasses.There are diopter adjustments on rifle scopes and bino`s.You can adjust what you are using for your vision and wear no glasses.I have my glasses on a cord and drop them around my neck when shooting or glassing.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If there is eye astigmatism, then the scope or bino will not correct.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I’m getting longer in the tooth I’ve needed glasses to read and due to West Nile my eyes no longer line up vertically. I need glasses.
I have one set of bi-focals. I have several pair of continuous change glasses. The bottom is good for reading and the glasses correct how my eyes line up.
With these continuous change glasses shooting is easy especially for iron sights.
Ditch the bifocals except for reading and other things. Get the continuous change glasses for shooting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
Shoot with out glasses.There are diopter adjustments on rifle scopes and bino`s.You can adjust what you are using for your vision and wear no glasses.I have my glasses on a cord and drop them around my neck when shooting or glassing.

That isn’t good advice. I have a friend who lost an eye when the rifle went boom instead of bang. Doc told him flat out that the only thing that saved him when the bolt came back was his safety glasses.

Never ever shoot without safety glasses. All of mine are.

Happy B Day

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/15/22.

Swifty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can probably help answer a few of these things, but, I need some clarification, so, as you ask questions, please refer to the terminology below.:

1. Progressive lenses have no line.

2. Bi-focals have 1 line.

3. Tri-Focals have 2 lines.

4. "Transitions" are lenses that darken in the sun and get lighter inside, they have nothing to do with your lens power.

Progressive lenses will always have some manner of "hourglass" shape as you "progress" through ever increasing + power to get to your full reading add power. Think of an hourglass, now, as it applies to lenses, you can only see clearly through the part of the hourglass that the sand can be in, everything outside the hourglass is "soft-focus" or blurry. Typically, the more you spend on a set of progressive lenses, the further into the periphery the "soft-focus" portion of the hourglass can be pushed, or, the wider the "waist" of the hourglass can be made. There are dozens of progressive lens designs and many of them have multiple manipulation options that an optician can choose to help customize the lens for your specific needs.

Bifocals have 2 powers, and 1 line separating your distance, and your reading. There is little to no peripheral soft-focus, but, if you're catching the line you'll see double and one of those images will be significantly out of focus.

Trifocals have 3 powers and 2 lines. Your distance vision is on top, your "intermediate" say our to 30" or so, like the distance to a computer screen will be the middle, and the bottom will be your reading for up close like reading a book or your phone.

Start your questions under the premise that NOTHING is going to allow you to have your 20yr old eyes back short of a multifocal IOL and few are going to implant those prior to your needing cataract surgery.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I have glasses made I tell the person setting them up to lower where the progressive area starts 1 mm. They tend to argue but I them it's for shooting with a scope and I have had glasses made this way for years.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Huntz

That isn’t good advice. I have a friend who lost an eye when the rifle went boom instead of bang. Doc told him flat out that the only thing that saved him when the bolt came back was his safety glasses.

Never ever shoot without safety glasses. All of mine are.

Happy B Day

Sorry,I meant shoot with out prescription lenses,not with out safety glasses.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
When I have glasses made I tell the person setting them up to lower where the progressive area starts 1 mm. They tend to argue but I them it's for shooting with a scope and I have had glasses made this way for years.

That will work for some lens designs, won't work for others. The tighter you pack the add/reading area towards the bottom, the narrower the "waist" of the hourglass is going to be and the soft-focus moves in.

There are progressive lens designs specifically to maximize your distance vision. None of the "progressive" portion of the lens will begin until you get below the 180 line (half-way). You'll get a huge distance zone, the compromise is a short and narrow corridor of intermediate vision so your "sweet-spot" of clear vision @ computer/dashboard vision is narrow and then the close in/reading is wide again.

Last edited by horse1; 01/18/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As others have already said, you may need your lenses modified. Trifocals here, no double reticles or similar issues.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have worn glasses since 3rd grade, no issues for many years (into my early 50’s).

Then I had the same problem OP described with bifocals. Had to get the progressive lowered. That worked on shotguns and one rifle but not on the rest of my scoped rifles. Went back a second time to the eye doctor and got a pair of specs with no bifocals. That solved the rifle and shotgun issues.

But! I could not see handgun sights without bifocals. Still can’t.

Solved the handgun sight issue by accident. I wore prescription safety glasses for work (retired now) that had lines. They also had two sets of bifocals, called occupational bifocals. There is a slot between the two sets with normal vision. One day I went to the range after work and forgot to change my eyewear. Found that the line made it easy to tilt my head back so I could see the revolver sights in the bifocal part. Good enough for 25 yards or so. Playing around, I found I could also tilt my head forward, use the upper bifocals, and got a more natural feeling stance. The lines were very helpful.

Next trip to the range, I brought a rifle and could shoot it and my revolver. Other trips found that the safety glasses could be used on all my scoped rifles, shotgun, and revolver. Great, except those safety glasses are heavy and the slot with normal vision is too narrow for outdoor use like hunting. The one thing I learned is the lines are thinner than the progressive and are readily apparent. So yet another trip to the eye doctor got a set of glasses with lines. Those worked.

None of this solved the issue with binoculars and glasses. The best work-around I have is to use binoculars that have independent focus. I have a set of 10X Bushnell that moves both eyepieces with the main adjustment. One eyepiece can be adjusted independently. So I close one eye, adjust, then close the other eye and adjust the independent side. Works, but is not ideal. Best use is when scanning the same range panoramically. Jumping far/near requires readjustment. And it is NOT fast!

It was interesting to see this thread today. Went to eye doctor this morning and found that I have glaucoma. Will get in the queue for lens replacement. Doctor is a shooter, he thinks scoped rifle and shotgun will be fine but is not confident about irons on rifle or pistol. Guess I will find out for myself.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,517 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.