Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.newsweek.com/wolves-colorado-kill-cow-walden-attack-livestock-reintroduction-1661508

A pack of wolves has killed a cow in Colorado in the first attack on livestock in over 70 years. The Colorado Cattlemen's Association (CCA) said the 500lb heifer was found dead, having been attacked and eaten, near Walden.

Wolves once roamed across Colorado but they were eradicated from the state by 1940 after conflicts with humans. After humans arrived and took away the large mammals the wolves once preyed on, the predators began hunting livestock and they were "systematically eradicated," Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) said.

The first lone wolf took up residence in the state in 2019. In November 2020, a bill was passed that would see wolves reintroduced to the state. Since then a breeding pack has been established, with the first pups born in June 2021. The pack resides in north central Colorado.

"On behalf of the livestock producer, who is a member of the CCA, as well as Colorado Parks and Wildlife, we ask that the public refrain from disturbing the area and individuals associated with this wolf attack," CCA President Steve Wooten said in a statement.

The CCA said that while the incident was unfortunate, it highlighted issues that CPW would need to address as part of its reintroduction program. This includes developing methods to minimize conflict and to provide compensation for wolf-related losses, including livestock performance such as loss of pregnancies and weight loss.

A CPW spokesperson told the Denver Post that it was aware of a report of a wolf kill and was "actively investigating the claim." Rebecca Ferrell told the newspaper: "If it is determined to be caused by the wolves that have naturally migrated into the state, we will compensate the landowner through current game damage program."

It is thought restoring wolves to Colorado will help improve the natural ecosystem and provide a means of controlling elk numbers.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
provide a means of controlling elk numbers.

Sure will.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
https://www.newsweek.com/wolves-colorado-kill-cow-walden-attack-livestock-reintroduction-1661508

Wolves once roamed across Colorado but they were eradicated from the state by 1940 after conflicts with humans. After humans arrived and took away the large mammals the wolves once preyed on (?????), the predators began hunting livestock and they were "systematically eradicated," Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) said.

It is thought restoring wolves to Colorado will help improve the natural ecosystem and provide a means of controlling elk numbers. (!!!!!!!!!)

So much wrong with the mindset of Newsweek (and CPW), but I'm not surprised.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah? What large animals in the 40s did we get rid of?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wolves killed a guys cowdog up there, too.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ive killed 2 elk in Jackson Co. Co.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
wolves like beef better its easier to catch and eat over wild animals ,i know i live in Northern Minnesota

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
S
S
S

Kill all of them.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As if controlling elk numbers is a problem.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"If it is determined to be caused by the wolves that have naturally migrated into the state, ..."

How else?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
S
S
S

Kill all of them.

I wished it was that easy, we have been hunting and trapping doing SSS for 10 years now in Montana and barely have been able to keep the population at about 1,000+
Talk to any biologist who knows anything about wolves and they will tell you gotta take out 1/3 of the population a year just to stay even. Hopefully the relaxed laws we have since we got rid of the P.O.S Bullock and his greenie commissioners we can start knocking them back.
Theres probably only one way though and it will never happen, hang on Colorado in about 10 years you will find out just what wolves really do to your Elk, Deer and Moose populations

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I lived in that area, I'd kill every damn one of them that I could.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Most large predators look better from miles away on TV.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The guy with the dog says his 12 year old son will not be let roam this summer, and he is a genuine rancher, not yuppie. Of course Polis and company have laws that under 21 cannot carry a pistol.

They cannot rREntroduce grey wolves as they were never native. The native wolf is extinct, for better or worse. I
It could be a wolf released by a greenie from a captive pack, they ltak about it.

I still think boulder would be a good place

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Most large predators look better from miles away on TV.

Ot at 200 with a cross-hair superimposed.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
They were never reintroduced in MT. not in N.W MT anyway they were already there.
I used to spend alot of time in what used to be the Lost Trail Ranch in Pleasant Valley in the 90's before it became the Lost trail refugee and I was with a couple of the Ranch hands one day and they took me and showed me were the Wolf dens were at, they had dug into the Bank.
An ole rancher Bob Monk shot one somewhere about 1990 in Pleasant Valley getting into his cows when fish and game finally admitted they were there.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm surprised Colorado hasn't had wolves for sometime now. They moved from Yellowstone through Idaho and into Oregon. Then down to Northern California. When they get established, Colorado will see a reduction of elk, deer and anything else they can catch. They been killing cattle in Klamath and Jackson counties for a few years now. It doesn't surprise me they kill Colorado cattle also. Your state fish and wildlife dollars are going to take a hit, as the slobbering liberals use money for wolves, instead of deer and elk management! Good luck!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
...And this "The first lone wolf took up residence in the state in 2019."
BS! ..I read an article in a Grand Junction news paper several years before '19 that was glorifying wolf sightings in an area north of GJ and how wonderful it was. There are more wolves in CO. than the game dept. wants to admit.

I was born and raised in CO. and hate seeing what's happened to the state, and I'm sure very disheartening and frustrating for those of you still there.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
I'm surprised Colorado hasn't had wolves for sometime now.

We have. I personally know of 3 killed over 10 years ago near Walden. They sleep with the fishes at the bottom of lake John..... Another one was killed by a car on I-70 near Idaho Springs.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
And another in 2015 at Kremmling.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.