24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a trip on the Danube River and was surprised to see beaver cuttings along the shore as I had thought the European beaver was extinct. I understand that there were some still in the Danube delta and have since repopulated the river system.

I used to trap beaver a lot for both the WI and MN DNR. For 20 yrs after I left that country my dad would get calls for me to come out and trap some troublesome beaver.

They are very good eating, the meat is a lot like beef and we would make a lot of jerky(cut thin peppered and hung over the campfire) from it and the livers are huge for the critters size and is very mild like calves liver, beaver camp breakfast was fried liver onions and eggs.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got a neighbor, at our P. A. Hunt camp trapping them down by the Conneaut Creak, on the back of our property!
He does well and we let him have at it, at his own pace and leisure!
Good guy!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 12/14/21.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by jonboy900
pleas lets keep this clean but i have heard acounts in the nordic counters beaver can be hunted as well as traped i have always been curiose how the hunting was done.i heard one way from swedan was to use a dog to find the dens then put a nest above and belowe the den and use a terrire to drive them out into the nets to be club or speared

I can't believe a kid in Manchester, KY doesn't know how to snuff out beavers...

First, he must master spelling.A seemingly insurmountable task.

Well, the spelling looks about right for Clay County.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There fun to watch work!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very efficient little critters

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
More beaver shots!!

He had me right up til pleas lets keep this clean.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We trap and shoot them on a small winding river that runs past my trapping/hunting shack. We get 30 bucks per tail for bounty, 100 bucks or so a pound for castors then use the carcasses for bear bait, then snare and shoot the bears. grin No limit on snared bears in my area.

Typically we'll keep between a few Belisle 330s out using H frame stands, and shoot between traps and on the boat ride back. Number of traps varies with how fast the bears are eating them. Rifles are whatever I feel like shooting and sighting for 50 yards. Bullets are usually NBTs or Bergers, something fragible at close range. Most shots are swimming; but more than a few are sunning themselves on the banks. It's not a money maker, but 70 to 100 a spring pays for lots of outboard gas, a semi annual order of commercially supplied bear bait, and a new rifle or chainsaw once in a while.

A key tool is a salt water gaff. Grabbing a moving beaver from a moving boat in running water isn't as easy as it sounds. Keeping a grip is even harder.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
24/7/365 and I like the ones that can cook as well as clean too.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, we all know the jokes, though now days a little less ‘fur’.

Traps work best of course, in some areas the only ‘legal’ method. Then we get to nuisance beavers, no closed season, no illegal methods.

In the Spring beavers come out more in the daytime, checking out things. At that time, I like a 17 HMR or a 223.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
390 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.