Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the input, Yondering. Fortunately, I now have a better handle on some of my 'unknowns' . I took a sample of my lead pipe fittings and monotype to a local salvage yard where they did a RXF(?) analysis of them. The fittings are 98%+ lead and 1.5% antimony with traces of other metals. The monotype is 80% lead, 12% antimony, and 7% tin. I shouldn't have any problem with having the right amount of antimony, just have to alloy the stuff properly to get enough tin for good fill out. The comment about coww alloy hardness giving good expansion at my desired velocities gives me a target BHN to shoot for.

Thanks again!

BP-B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Glad to help, Hook. Let us know how they work out, and maybe post pics of some expanded bullets if you recover any.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about time to send this BTT. Still a great method.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Great thread, thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't seen Yondering post in quite awhile.
I enjoyed his informative posts.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It really should be stickied.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by shaman
It really should be stickied.

That's a fact! This thread got me started on the right track and now it is all I do for cast. I even went back and cleaned the lube off all the cast I had stockpiled, both my cast and commercial cast, and PC'ed them. I have had zero problems using this method!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
It's about time to send this BTT. Still a great method.

Thanks, shaman!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Powder coating makes the game a little better.

Pistols and rifles seem to be a lot cleaner than with regular lube and it seems that powders that were not burning completely are doing better.

This has been used in the 45-70 and 458 socom on the big side and 7x57 and others on the faster side.

Nothing better for pistol bullets no matter what caliber.

PC just works.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Yonderling,

What other colors have you found to work well? I might have to try this. I have an old toaster oven out in the garage.

I’ve used Eastwood Ford Light Blue and Periwinkle Grey with great success. Eastwood gloss Black didn’t work well by itself because it wasn’t dry and dusty like the other two. It clumped on the bullets and left an uneven coating. It wasn’t a total loss, I mixed it 1:2 with the “dry” powders and was then able to use it.

I bought some silicone backing mats from Amazon and stand the bullets on their base on the mat. It’s probably overkill for pistol bullets but I do it anyways. Some rifle bullets are a little difficult to stand but the results are worth it.

The silicone mat was too large for my oven so I cut 4 inches off it. That piece isn’t a loss though, I place it under my casting pot to catch the drips and overflow from the molds. I pull it out once in a while and the lead falls off the silicone. Works much better than the lead sticking to the aluminum base of the mold.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Powder coating makes the game a little better.

Pistols and rifles seem to be a lot cleaner than with regular lube and it seems that powders that were not burning completely are doing better.

This has been used in the 45-70 and 458 socom on the big side and 7x57 and others on the faster side.

Nothing better for pistol bullets no matter what caliber.

PC just works.

I agree 100%! Once I started powder coating I never looked back. No lube smoke when shooting them and the guns are much cleaner too. I’m having more fun shooting rifles with cast bullets than I ever had and shooting them a lot more too. (That’s the fun of it I guess!)

Saw some factory (Federal I think) 9mm ammo with “polymer” coated bullets. Yeah, they were powder coated red. I expect we’ll be seeing a lot more of them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just getting back into casting bullets. This powder coating idea is a whole new world for or to me.
I bought a Lyman 450 sizer. Was that a mistake. Do I not need that now? Would Lee sizer be less expensive and better?
Thanks I’m advance for any and all help.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Lee sizers are cheaper and easier but you can still use the Lyman for your painted bullets. I still size 45-70 bullets in mine because I couldn’t get a Lee in the size I want. I cleaned all the lube out (not really necessary) and it works fine. Come to think of it, I just got an 8mm mold and the sizer is for the Lyman so I will have to use it for 8mm now too.

One more thing, I size after powder coating.

Last edited by 450BM; 02/13/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I notice you can get RAL 6018 from several suppliers, is it all the same powder?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a sample pack from smokes on the castboolits forum and i am still using that same pound of different colors after doing a lot of bullets.

There have been some that tried powders from other places but a lot had problems.

Some colors seemed not to cover or something and others did not stick to the lead.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I am just starting my adventure into casting. I have not even done my first batch. That will most likely be this next weekend or so with some scrap sorted wheel weights and or some magnum lead shot I picked up.
I’m going to purchase some powder from PBTP and wanted to see if anyone has used the old world Bronze color?
I see that green used a lot but my OCD isn’t wanting to play with that.
It see that their have been comments about different colors sticking to each other on the pan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251956-Powder-coated-bullets-pics-only

I spent way too much time worrying about how to do this. There are endless pages of discussion about the "right way" to powder coat. I finally just placed an order from Smoke (a poster listed in the vendor and seller section here He only carries powders that have been proven to work) along with the plastic BBs he sells that help the powder to stick during the shaking process.

The link is to 38 pages of guys posting glamour shot pictures of their favorite colors or blending of colors. Check out the hand painted zombie blood bullets someone did.... I'm guessing that happened during the dead of Winter cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTT

This really should be stickied.

Folks were asking about power coating. This is the method I use

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.