Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GUhunter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by AZmark
I tested some loads in a couple of 7mm08 rifles I've been building over the last year or so.
Tested with my 140 gr Nosler partition loads using W760 powder and regular LR primers.
No signs of pressure issues yet.
Using Caldwell chrono
Shooting at 8000' elev may have helped getting these velocities

24" Krieger barrel, 3 shots, Velocity was 2909, 2928,2945 = 2927 avg
24" Lilja barrel, 3 shots, velocity was 2815, 2944, 2940 = 2899 avg

I get 2885 with 140 Partitions from a 22.4” Tikka so I think your numbers are accurate.

The only 7mm-08 I own is a tikka superlite but I think I remember reading that Tikkas commonly have slow barrels. Any truth to this that you're aware of?

I’ve heard this too but if Tikkas are slow, they’re not that slow. I figure 25, maybe 30 fps per inch.

Originally Posted by krp
My Tikka is fast, I get right at published velocities for 24in barrels with the factory barrel. Tight chamber or fast barrel, whatever. It's also very accurate. I've used two different cronos to test.

120 BTs and H4895 3080fps, this is the load I use, low recoil, kills elk and deer easily, just well balanced in a light rifle.

Big Game I've gotten 3160 with the 120 BT

Staball 6.5, 139gr SST, I've gotten 3035, 3011, 3015 with max 51gr... and 2989, 3002 with 50gr. In a light gun it really jumped/recoiled, primers a bit flat and ejector marks, bolt lift was fine. Overall I don't like the balance of rifle and load. Dropped down to 48gr and it averaged about 2880fps, much better to shoot.

Kent

51.5 gr Big Game with 120 BT got me 3126. Kinda snappy but not over pressure.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t doubt the published velocity claims, but how many 7-08’s have a 24” test barrel?

Just about no factory 7-08 rifles with 24" barrels. So get real and post real-world data from 22" barrels.

22.5” barrel.
47.5 grains Big Game
R-P brass
Fed GM210M
140 Accubond

2,890 fps.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by WAM
I don’t doubt the published velocity claims, but how many 7-08’s have a 24” test barrel?

Just about no factory 7-08 rifles with 24" barrels. So get real and post real-world data from 22" barrels.

22.5” barrel.
47.5 grains Big Game
R-P brass
Fed GM210M
140 Accubond

2,890 fps.

I might have to give this a try…

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by WAM

22.5” barrel.
47.5 grains Big Game
R-P brass
Fed GM210M
140 Accubond

2,890 fps.

No experience, but I would bet that would work just fine at moderate range.

My money is on Pharmeller!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A lot of good info here but you need to look past it - The cartridge of a given calibre does not really matter. You need to look at the bullet performance at given ranges to determine if that particular scenario will work. Then apply it to what your desired cartridge can do with that info. Just my .02.

Darrel

RAVENS & WOLVES
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Lots of elk killed with -08 G2G

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a good friend who grew up elk hunting here in MT. He started with the 7-08. In the hands of himself, his sister and a couple cousins, the 7-08 accounted for nearly 20 elk. I asked him what he currently is using - answer, "300 ultra Mag." Next I asked him if he or any of his family ever had any problem with the 7-08 on elk - answer, "no."

I looked over at his jacked-up monster truck and absorbed this reality...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You can kill an elk with a .222 also.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I have a good friend who grew up elk hunting here in MT. He started with the 7-08. In the hands of himself, his sister and a couple cousins, the 7-08 accounted for nearly 20 elk. I asked him what he currently is using - answer, "300 ultra Mag." Next I asked him if he or any of his family ever had any problem with the 7-08 on elk - answer, "no."

I think this partially fits me. I have alot of rifles and take them all elk hunting cause I want to, not because I think most any of them will sweep elk off their feet. I like rifles and cartridges and trying different things. I have ran a 270 up to a 375 Improved. I know there hasn't been an elk I have personally killed or been in on the hunting of the 270 Winchester wouldn't have worked fine, with all of the other disclaimers about using a decent bullet and knowing the trajectory, etc. I will say in my jaded way that I like how well the 338 Win with 210 Swifts and the 7 Mashburn with 175 Bitterroots has worked on a handful of elk a piece. They didn't do backflips or nothing like that but they also didn't wander anywhere except for one I shot on the move with the Mashburn. I think his momentum carried him the 30 yards or so it took to nosedive.

So yeah, I might just have to load up my little 7-08 with the 132/140 Bitterroots I have and see if I can find a mangy old elk with it whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

I think this partially fits me. I have alot of rifles and take them all elk hunting cause I want to, not because I think most any of them will sweep elk off their feet. I like rifles and cartridges and trying different things. I have ran a 270 up to a 375 Improved. I know there hasn't been an elk I have personally killed or been in on the hunting of the 270 Winchester wouldn't have worked fine, with all of the other disclaimers about using a decent bullet and knowing the trajectory, etc. I will say in my jaded way that I like how well the 338 Win with 210 Swifts and the 7 Mashburn with 175 Bitterroots has worked on a handful of elk a piece. They didn't do backflips or nothing like that but they also didn't wander anywhere except for one I shot on the move with the Mashburn. I think his momentum carried him the 30 yards or so it took to nosedive.

So yeah, I might just have to load up my little 7-08 with the 132/140 Bitterroots I have and see if I can find a mangy old elk with it whistle

Beretzs, I've done the exact same thing as I enjoy rifles (or did). When I moved here to Montana I had read enough to know elk were armor-plated, so I started with a 22" bbl'd 338 WM loaded w/210 Partitions. It worked admirably on several bulls, but I noticed my friends who grew up here typically used something like a 270 or 30-06. I started going backwards in cartridges, using the 30-06, and when it appeared in the early 2000's, the 300 WSM. No surprise, they killed elk just fine. Then I went in reverse even more to the 270, and my favorite, the 308 Win. I also used the 7-08 on one bull. Of course, what I "discovered" was the right bullet in the right place does the job, and as I got older (now 60) I found I enjoyed less recoil. Or maybe I never liked recoil all that much and just finally admitted it to myself. Probably a mixture of both smile

If anyone asks me what the "best" elk rifle is, I tell them a 22" bbl'd 338 WM loaded with 210 Partitions. Problem is I don't want to carry or shoot the "best" elk rifle, so I'm entirely happy with a lightweight 308 Win (or 270, 7-08, 6.5 CM, etc.).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Beretzs, I've done the exact same thing as I enjoy rifles (or did). When I moved here to Montana I had read enough to know elk were armor-plated, so I started with a 22" bbl'd 338 WM loaded w/210 Partitions. It worked admirably on several bulls, but I noticed my friends who grew up here typically used something like a 270 or 30-06. I started going backwards in cartridges, using the 30-06, and when it appeared in the early 2000's, the 300 WSM. No surprise, they killed elk just fine. Then I went in reverse even more to the 270, and my favorite, the 308 Win. I also used the 7-08 on one bull. Of course, what I "discovered" was the right bullet in the right place does the job, and as I got older (now 60) I found I enjoyed less recoil. Or maybe I never liked recoil all that much and just finally admitted it to myself. Probably a mixture of both smile

If anyone asks me what the "best" elk rifle is, I tell them a 22" bbl'd 338 WM loaded with 210 Partitions. Problem is I don't want to carry or shoot the "best" elk rifle, so I'm entirely happy with a lightweight 308 Win (or 270, 7-08, 6.5 CM, etc.).

For sure, my long time partner is 75 this year. I think he carried an old PF M70 300 Win from just after he returned home from Vietnam. It's a heavy package all set up but he's carried it miles and miles in elk country. One year while hunting in AZ when we were tracking elk I thought to myself, what a good gift for the old man would be a light gun. His wife and I conspired and got him a Kimber 280 Ackley. In the past few years he has accounted for a decent number of elk. He loves the weight and says the 280 with the 160 AB doesn't induce the reaction his 300 did but all of his elk have been easily recovered. So I think that is a good example of what you're gradually going towards and myself down the line as well.

I had a similar experience. I have a P64 Featherweight 30-06 I put in an Hunters EDGE. I brought it along two years ago when we were headed to pack my brothers elk since I still had a tag. Well, low and behold I loved the package which weighed around 8lbs or a shade under. I ended up taking a small bull that same evening. Ended up costing me money since then I thought my Mashburn was too heavy and had it rebuilt to match that 06....

I can make alot of stuff make sense in my head whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"I can make alot of stuff make sense in my head whistle"

That's what it's all about! laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
Originally Posted by WAM

22.5” barrel.
47.5 grains Big Game
R-P brass
Fed GM210M
140 Accubond

2,890 fps.

No experience, but I would bet that would work just fine at moderate range.

My money is on Pharmeller!

Just messing with you. That load, 225 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One shot. 90 foot recovery. Yeah, it works.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

For sure, my long time partner is 75 this year. I think he carried an old PF M70 300 Win from just after he returned home from Vietnam. It's a heavy package all set up but he's carried it miles and miles in elk country. One year while hunting in AZ when we were tracking elk I thought to myself, what a good gift for the old man would be a light gun. His wife and I conspired and got him a Kimber 280 Ackley. In the past few years he has accounted for a decent number of elk. He loves the weight and says the 280 with the 160 AB doesn't induce the reaction his 300 did but all of his elk have been easily recovered. So I think that is a good example of what you're gradually going towards and myself down the line as well.

I had a similar experience. I have a P64 Featherweight 30-06 I put in an Hunters EDGE. I brought it along two years ago when we were headed to pack my brothers elk since I still had a tag. Well, low and behold I loved the package which weighed around 8lbs or a shade under. I ended up taking a small bull that same evening. Ended up costing me money since then I thought my Mashburn was too heavy and had it rebuilt to match that 06....

I can make alot of stuff make sense in my head whistle

You guys always make sense for the most part. My "elk" rifle is my 338wm, but we all know just about any damn rifle/cartridge will work if you use the right bullet and put it in the right spot. I still kind of shake my head at guys when they say they need a 300 RUM to cleanly take and elk. In the real world, it doesn't take that to kill an elk. I used a 7mm08 a few months ago on a bull and it handled the situation very well. Partnered with a 140gr TTSX and everything went as planned. Hell, I could have killed that bull with a 22-250 loaded with the right bullet..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And on and on we go…

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

😁 hellsbells I got the load from you! 😉

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wonder if the 150 ABLR would have better ballistics at 500 than the 140 Accubond, even though MV would be 100 fps slower (or more).

I believe they would with one caveat. First you have to find out if you rifle will shoot them well regarding accuracy.
Not the 7-08 but I load three 7x57s using 7-08 data. Rifles have modern action; a Winchester M70 Featherweight that has been dead nuts accurate with almost everything I've run through it, a Ruger #1A and a custom built on a commercial FN Mauser action.FEWIW, the FN was original barreled to the .270 Win. None of these rifles have given decent accuracy with the 150 gr. ABLR. I've also tried it in a custom .280 Remington with the same dismal results.
The M70 and Ruger give excellent accuracy and velocity around 2850 FPS average with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition so I have that load to fall back on. I haven't given up on the ABLR yet but about all I have left to try is use the most accurate load and play with the seating depth.
Not too sure on how the ABLR will work on elk based in the comments of several guides I've hunted elk with. Seem to be a common opinion that out to about 150-200 yards they are a bit fragile. They're probably thinking someone shooting a magnum of some kind but it might be something to consider. I'll probably do a test on a bundles of wet and dry magazines, one dry and one as waterlogged as I cam make it. Might even do the same with some ABs if I can ever find some.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

51.5 gr Big Game with 120 BT got me 3126. Kinda snappy but not over pressure.

P

I got 3175 avg in my 700 ss sps with the 120 gr BT. Accuracy was under an inch. Backed it off to 49gr and accuracy was outstanding. Just under 3k fps.

If I was to take it elk hunting 150gr partitions shoot really well in that gun at a little over 2800 fps.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
120 BTs kill elk no problem, vitals or shoulders. Mine run 3080.

Kent

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I get 3400 with 168s in my 7-08 with 19" barrel laugh

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300jimmy, 160user, 3333vl, 12344mag, 257 mag, 163bc, 30 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 612 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,473
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.