Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I went on a Dall sheep hunt in 2015 to the Chugach range - I had a successful and very fun hunt. Thought it would be my last great adventure but now in my mid 50s the sheep are calling my name again. This time I am going to the Brooks range in a few years and hoping for a great experience and maybe another beautiful white ram.

After much consideration and advice from my outfitter I went with plastic boots on the Chugach hunt. While the kept me safe and on the mountain (no small trick in the area I hunted) I HATED them. Left them in AK hoping to never, ever see them again.

Now some years later with mild numbness in my toes I am going back and need to protect my feet as much as possible.

What boot recommendations would you make for the Brooks? I am hoping to get them this year and take a couple of years to break them in/get my feet used to them.

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have settled comfortably into Hanwag boots, specifically the alaska gtx and trapper gtx (for late season). It’s the first brand I can walk into a store, buy a pair and then head straight out on an endless adventure without any concern for my feet (this from experience). They fit my feet exceptionally well and I know several others in the same boat. Construction is top notch and they last through constant abuse in the shale.

Meindel would be another top brand I’ve heard great things from.

No matter what boot, I always recommend upgrading the insoles. I will also recommend that the first step when bringing any boot home is to glue all the seams around the rand before waterproofing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Nashville; 01/13/22.

Pitter Patter!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Those are great boots. Lowa has something similar -- Tibet GTX Hi (no insulation) and Hunter GTX Evo Extreme (200g insulation).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paul, good luck!! In 2015 when I was on the other side of the mountain from you guys, I used the Hanwags on the right in Nashville's photo. They held up fine, and they are very comfortable.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Phil - I am thinking I may be stupid to try it again, but I just cannot seem to help myself!!

Those Hanwags look really good - I will add them on to my list to try out. I wish I had bought a pair in 2015 smile

I have also been looking at the Crispi Colorado and Birkdale -- at the end of the day I will buy several different boots and try them all on to see.

What upgrade insoles are people using?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had really good luck with the Hanwag Yukon LL and the Lowa Tibet LL. For insoles, find a model of Superfeet that matches your arch.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elkrazy

Mine are custom made, sorry no help.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I tried a handful of OTC insoles and noticed the arch was different between brands ie forward/back from my arch or too aggressive. Like boots, I would try a few different ones. I use Superfeet greens (high arch), because they fit me the best. I use them in all my shoes/boots and replace them at a cadence based on useage -- ie most heavily used is typically an annual replacement. Also, I had custom growing up, and I prefer Superfeet but as always YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I've had really good luck with the Hanwag Yukon LL and the Lowa Tibet LL. For insoles, find a model of Superfeet that matches your arch.

Been a long term fan of Lowa in general and have enjoyed 2-3 pair of Tibets. Great suggestion on the superfeet insoles. Game changer on most footwear. Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lowa sheephunters....So comfortable..(for me)

Remember, fit trumps name.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve never sheep hunted in Alaska but I’ve been hunting Stone Sheep in BC for a lot of years. This last season I tried a pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabble boots and I was very impressed with them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nashville,

Hello.

What type 'glue' do you use?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Nashville,

Hello.

What type 'glue' do you use?

I’ve been using “gear aid aqua seal” for the past few years. Seems to hold up well if you prep the boot first. Store the tube in the freezer after opening.

Pitter Patter!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think most of the boots mentioned will work. Fit is key.

The brooks are not as rough as the chugach, although there are certainly rough parts. You will likely do more walking than climbing, but you will still want something with a good rand as there can be tons of scree.

Good luck, again!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best insoles I've used are those by Lathrop and Sons. I'd not be afraid to try their boots either. That said, Meindls fit my feet better than anything else I've tried.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkrazy

I've been wearing some custom for many years, but last year, bought a set of Sheep Feet. So far the Sheep Feet have worked well and having an extra set keeps me from having to switch from one pair of boots/shoes to another.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://meindlusa.com/collections/mens-collection/products/comfort-fit%C2%AE-extreme

These are awesome

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk,

My favorite by far are the ones that I wore yesterday. They are one piece Italian leather and craftsmanship. Vibram Norwegian welt soles that go hundreds of miles with confidence soft enough to be grippy on rocks, yet supportive at any weight. I haven't hunted your area, but have been in wet woodlands, steep hills, bouldering, and all conditions...feel like a mountain goat. Comfortable Glove leather lined. 6" Tall and 3 sets of hook quick lace up and differential adjustments. . I've never seen better boots.
They usually go on hunts and hikes. They breath very well too compared to anything else I've worn in the weight category. That's probably because it doesn't cut corners with synthetics.
Just $300 ms. Not a bad price because they last far longer than my other boots. However many hundred miles later, the calf skin lining in the heel box is worn through, but just as comfortable as ever. We are expecting snow Sunday, so I will be wearing merino socks as insulation and a light coat of conditioner for water repellent/salt protection.
Alico one piece smooth grain Italian art.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i'd not go too stiff of sole. my .02

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Elk,

My favorite by far are the ones that I wore yesterday. They are one piece Italian leather and craftsmanship. Vibram Norwegian welt soles that go hundreds of miles with confidence soft enough to be grippy on rocks, yet supportive at any weight. I haven't hunted your area, but have been in wet woodlands, steep hills, bouldering, and all conditions...feel like a mountain goat. Comfortable Glove leather lined. 6" Tall and 3 sets of hook quick lace up and differential adjustments. . I've never seen better boots.
They usually go on hunts and hikes. They breath very well too compared to anything else I've worn in the weight category. That's probably because it doesn't cut corners with synthetics.
Just $300 ms. Not a bad price because they last far longer than my other boots. However many hundred miles later, the calf skin lining in the heel box is worn through, but just as comfortable as ever. We are expecting snow Sunday, so I will be wearing merino socks as insulation and a light coat of conditioner for water repellent/salt protection.
Alico one piece smooth grain Italian art.

Is the brand a secret? I think that was the question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.