Answer to your question - no.

Advice, prepare to be FU.CKED by the long dick of Uncle Warren

Last edited by hillestadj; 01/13/22.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was in one on the management side. Union essentially refused to negotiate. We hired, trained and installed a new work force. The union then agreed to come back to work. We told them they had been replaced. We offered them a severance package, if they took it, they could not ever come back to work at this facility. If they refused the severance, they were put on a list to be called when an opening occurred. About 80 took the severance and lost their $60,000
plus annual income with good benefits. About 30 chose to go on the list to be called when there was an opening. Over 3-5 years most of those on the list to be called back did get a call. Some had moved on, some had retired and a few returned to work. This took place in 2002, so a while ago. After the strike and replacement of the work force, this facility became considerably more productive and the safety results went from dangerous to winning national awards for personnel safety.
The strike and resulting outcome saved the plant from closing.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comments have been made that a striker can never recover what was lost. I asked my father this when I was still a wet behind the ears kid. His reply was that he didn't expect to but that what they were doing was to protect the workers who would follow. For many years within our area wages and benefits followed what had been won by the major union.

Several decades later the company, which at its peak had employed about 22,000 employees, closed its doors. Actually they just relocated their production locations. It is evident that companies do what is favourable to their bottom line and for the most part don't have much concern for their employees unless they fight for themselves.

I know the pros and cons of this type of discussion could go on forever, but am just pointing out there is more than one side to this story.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
......His reply was that he didn't expect to but that what they were doing was to protect the workers who would follow.....

Thats what its all about. You may lose in the short term, but those after you will benefit. And not just those in that union and that company. Non union companies in the local area, and sometimes much further, benefit also.

Its funny how folks think, or how little. Those safety standards they take for granted....or quite frankly dont even know about...wasnt gov looking out for you. Folks suffered, and someone, most times labor lobbyists, pushing for that change.

Solidarity means nothing to them, its every man for themselves....unless youre talking about the 2nd Amendment. Then theyll take every willing body they can.

N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
My union just authorized a membership poll to vote on a strike. I believe it will pass resoundingly. Never been through one and given the industry I am in (railroad) I never thought I would be? If any of you have been, I would like to hear about it.

Not trying to be an ass hole but why are you on here asking instead of talking to the union? What union represents you? Are you well versed in their constitution and bylaws?

Almost always the contract is between the international and the company, not the local and the company. So when you said "my union" who are you speaking of? If its your locals president or other such board member/board, they got backing from the international.

"This action is being driven by the employees, not the union." BS. Once again, the employees cannot do schit without the unions backing. The employees may have bitched, file a grievance, regardless its up to the union to organize a poll/vote. There are consequences(union dependent) for employees who undertake such actions on their own.....THAT is called a wildcat strike. If you arent hearing that term thrown around and youre not getting ripped out by the union.....then it was backed by the union. Period.

I am simply asking for other people's experiences, that is all. Read my original quote. When I said the action is being driven by the employees I meant that we have (systemwide) petitioned the National for permission to poll the membership to strike. This was not an order handed down from above ordering us to do same. This is not a wildcat strike, all proper procedures have been followed.

I thank those of you thus far who have answered my original question.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Our plant was on strike for most of the month of March, 2021, first time in over 40 years.
The way it works for us is when a new contract is negotiated, and presented to the memberships for a vote, the ballot options are either accept or strike, pick one. It doesn’t mean you’re going to strike, it usually results in returning to the table for further negotiations under a contract extension.
Ours strike vote had nothing to with money.
I don’t post often, but I’ve always stayed away from “union” threads as they seem to always go down hill quickly.
If you’re looking for something specific, you can pm me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goodyear Tire in Union City TN went on strike every time they could. Goodyear closed and everybody lost their jobs.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We take a strike vote BEFORE every contract negotiation.

It's like earnest money in a financial deal.

Just shows sincerity.

After negotiating, the officers bring us a proposal to vote on.
If we turn it down, they go back to the table and try to address the concerns.
There hasn't been a strike there in over 30 years, and won't be this fall
at the end of the current contract. The guys live beyond their means, can't
afford to lose a weeks pay, and have no balls. It's a shame, and a disgrace to
those who fought to get good wages.

They will offer 3% raises per year, if we are lucky.
Inflation is 7%, and our insurance will go up while coverage falls.
And they will cower and let their lifestyle fall further.

But it won't matter as long as the bank keeps approvingloans for toys,
And Visa pays for vacations.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Just shows sincerity.

I’m not gonna get a 3% raise.

Didn’t last year, either.

And I’m a high performer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Just shows sincerity.

We did the same this summer. Vote to authorize a strike. Overwhelming aporoval. Contract ended Oct 1. Working under existing contract. Seeking increase in retirement, 3.5% wage + match in COLA. Increase in vacation for new hires. Keep existing insurance package. Increase in short term disability wages.

Company proposed decreases across the board. Gonna be interesting to say the least. Ace up our sleeve, gov needs product. We will strike. And they know it. Contract will be ratified by April or schits gonna hit the fan.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel like it's been union strike at my work with all the pussies who are out for sniffles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately Unions are a necessary evil. Worked both sides of the fence for the same company. On strike for about 4 months. Later on worked about 6 weeks after I was on Staff pay and union employees were on strike.
Didn’t have a good feeling after either experience. Some companies will take advantage of employees without a union.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you don’t like your wages, get a better job.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I’m not gonna get a 3% raise.

Didn’t last year, either.

And I’m a high performer.

P
Maybe you should unionize?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If you don’t like your wages, get a better job.
Why, when you can get a raise at your current job?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good luck ND.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been a union carpenter for 51 years. Been through a few Strikes no worries! They don’t normally last to long.

I’m proud to be a union man ! Both my brothers were union iron workers, local 340 and I belong to local 100.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was management and had to go in. I was a long strike that lasted about 4 or 5 months.
I was glad when it was over.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was a charter pilot in August of 1981 when the Air Traffic Controllers went on strike............... Reagan gave them 3 days to get back to work or 'you're fired'..........

Something like 85% got fired!

Trying to get a time to fly was a bit of a challenge. On the good side if you didn't get airborne within 15 minutes of your slot you lost it. So when you told the passengers when they needed to be back ......... they were.......

15 months later I replaced one of the strikers........................

Not quite the same thing though!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been through several strikes as an operating engineer overseeing a bunch of teamsters and laborers. None lasted too long.

Never was a huge fan of unions but it was a requirement for the heavy construction field guys where I worked.

A union pension is pretty sweet.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.