Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ll continue to beg.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fugly but deadly

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Says another guy that don't have one......

The benefits FAR outweigh the 'hindrances'. But you don't know, what you don't know.....

Could you elaborate, please. Besides noise suppression, what are the other benefits. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For me

I got a suppressor because my oldest son was afraid of recoil and muzzle blast. Even with subsonic 22 he flinched.

Suppressor cured both issues for him. Without it I assure you he wouldn’t have continued hunting or shooting. My 6 year old shoots 243 with ease with suppressor. Without it he gets kicked pretty hard and doesn’t like it. For kids they have no equal

I can hear the bullet hit the deer/animal

Animals react differently to suppressed shooting. Less likely to have all the deer run off. I have even had deer run closer to me because they didn’t know where shot came from. Had deer look up and not even run. Go right back to feeding

I can shoot while hunting without hearing protection safely

I get less muzzle rise. See impacts way more consistently

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll join the thread drift if only to state the obvious. The fact that suppressors can't be purchased over the counter, without government involvement is simply mind-boggling.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My question above wasn't questioning whether a can works, or if it makes shooting more enjoyable, or if there are benefts to a can. I'm just curious as to how many cans ever get put on a rifle. For every 100 threaded barrels sold, how many actually get the thread protector pulled off and a can screwed on? Due to cost and paperwork hassles, I'm guessing it is single digits. I could be wrong, I've been wrong more than a few times.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy
How many actually utilize the threads versus how many wish it was smooth?

I hate the wart on the end of the barrel. I really wish they get rid of it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters

If the thread protector was turned down and blended instead of knurled and bigger diameter than barrel, I'd be okay with it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My question above wasn't questioning whether a can works, or if it makes shooting more enjoyable, or if there are benefts to a can. I'm just curious as to how many cans ever get put on a rifle. For every 100 threaded barrels sold, how many actually get the thread protector pulled off and a can screwed on? Due to cost and paperwork hassles, I'm guessing it is single digits. I could be wrong, I've been wrong more than a few times.

I’d say your single digit guess is spot on. I’d guess very low single digits. Maybe less than 1% when you look at the number of budget rifles that only come threaded.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 257heaven

If the thread protector was turned down and blended instead of knurled and bigger diameter than barrel, I'd be okay with it.

That is exactly what I had a smith do. Though Kimber chose to complicate things by using a non-standard threading, which cost more, as a custom mandrel was needed. But that seems par for Kimber policy.

Last edited by Wrapids; 01/13/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Seems to me, the smart decision would be to leave the barrel smooth, and if a guy wanted to affix a suppressor on his rifle he could have a gunsmith thread the barrel for him. But what do I know?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
That’s a good question. Who the hell buys an ultralight rifle and then puts a can on it? Idiots. That’s who.

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Could never understand adding an additional 7 or 8 in. and an additional 8 or 9 oz. to the muzzle end of a Montana or other lightweight rifle. Kind of both defeats the purpose and really messes up both the looks and ergos of the gun. A can would be a big hindrance.

I have no use for a can on a Montana with a 22” barrel. However, a can on the end of a 16.5” or 18” light weight rifle is utopia. If Kimber made threaded 16.5” 223 Montana they’d have to shut down pistol production to fill backorders…….

I waited over a year for my 223 Montana. That was in 2012.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I could see putting a suppressor on a rifle that doesn’t point and carry as well as a Kimber 84M. No way I would destroy the ergos and aesthetics of any of my Kimbers by putting a can on them.

I have zero interest in an 18” barreled Kimber, but maybe that has something to do with the hideous stocks they put on them.

My Montanas are nirvana for me just the way they are, all pre-threaded models. If I were to buy a threaded Montana I would have my gunsmith cut the threaded portion of the barrel off and re-crown.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me, that if a guy bought a threaded model and didn't want the wart and threads, he could have a gunsmith chop 'em off. Or break out the hacksaw instead of bitching about warts and such. But what do I know?....

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I could see putting a suppressor on a rifle that doesn’t point and carry as well as a Kimber 84M. No way I would destroy the ergos and aesthetics of any of my Kimbers by putting a can on them.

I have zero interest in an 18” barreled Kimber, but maybe that has something to do with the hideous stocks they put on them.

My Montanas are nirvana for me just the way they are, all pre-threaded models. If I were to buy a threaded Montana I would have my gunsmith cut the threaded portion of the barrel off and re-crown.

What he said. Like my 22 inch plain Jane Kimbers.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Seems to me, that if a guy bought a threaded model and didn't want the wart and threads, he could have a gunsmith chop 'em off. Or break out the hacksaw instead of bitching about warts and such. But what do I know?....

Yes, we should all pay extra for some ugly feature that 1 in 100 of us wants or will use. But what do I know?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Well I can solve that for you bill

I’ll buy that Montana 223 off of you. Heck being local would save you headache and dealing with shipping. So much so I should get a discount lol

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Cans belong on ARs and such. ARs are ugly and carry like crap. Furthermore, if I was serious about a can it would be for two legged varmints. I really don’t care if my hunting rifle is loud because if I do my part, my quarry won’t care about the noise for very long, if at all.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But what do you know?......

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.