-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been buying M8 4x’s and M8 6x’s for a few years. The last M8 6x compact I bought here on the fire now rests on the Ruger #1 in 280 (which I also bought on the fire recently) and with low scope mounts. I think it’s a perfect setup on my first Ruger #1.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just bought another .30-06 today--which has a 2-1/2X scope! Now am wondering if I can actually hit anything with it! (Though killed quite a few big game animals with 2-1/2x and 3x scopes back in the Stone Age....)

MD - Retro Triumph ! I hope for your sake it’s CRF ;-)

Straight tube 2-1/2x has amazing low-light performance for dusk & dawn ,
8mm, Even a 4 x 20 mm has a 5 mm Exit Pupil

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's a Griffin & Howe Springfield, with a 2-1/2x Lyman Alaskan in the classic G&H detachable side-mounts. So I guess it qualifies as CRF!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yup, and then some. Enjoy

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 700 & 721 30-06’s have M8 4x scopes. I have an 03-A3 that has an older scope and that’s a Scope Chief 2 1/2x. That Springfield was probably sporterized back when Springfields could be bought for around $10 - it will stay as is, unless the scope fails.

Most of my other rifles, other than varmint rifles and a rifle set up for long range shooting, have M8’s or FX’s mostly in 4x or 6x.

Why would I want a higher power scope than 4x or a variable on a ‘06??? I no longer take them varmint shooting/hunting.

I do not like variables for a few reasons I’ve whined about before - heavy, poorer eye relief, weak, and the scope may be on high power when a deer runs close. All in all, a poor choice for a rifle set up for hunting bug game.

I find the old Leupolds pretty much stay sighted in, so I don’t worry too much about how many shots it takes to sight in - I’m retired and shooting is my past time.

If, like a gun writer, I were having to get a lot shooting through in a day by reviewing different rifles the amount of time of sighting them in would be an issue.

Having to knock on the scope, after dialing it, reminds me of the days of the El Paso Weavers. grin My El Paso scopes were 2 1/2x through 6x & one 12x. BUT NO VARIABLES!

Other than scopes, I like the old steel Lyman aperture receiver sights or International match sights.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I really like my Leupold FXII 4x33 and 6x36 scopes. They’ve held zero and are nice and light. Here is a 6x36 on an M70 in 7x57.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice set up! Are those Leupold DDs? What is the ring height?

Thanks

Yes, Leupold DD Lows

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How about a 2.5x Leupold-(Say it ain't so, Joe)-on a .416 Remington and Dall Sheep????

The names should sound familiar....

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/tia-hunts-a-dall-ram-with-echols-416-remington

Last edited by battue; 01/13/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up 2 mint M8 4x’s this week. Love the low power scopes with no gizmos. I laugh at some of my hunting buddies with the hubbel telescopes on their rigs. I don’t need the magnification , I just need the crosshairs to aim by.
Maybe these two M8’s will snake bite me but I have enough of the old Leupolds that have treated me right I’m not scared.
Plus I like nostalgic style stuff.
At one time that old stuff was state of the art lol.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LFC is steelhead the little ass wipe that rick needs to get rid of again . he is nothing but a piss ant little bitch

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 44mc
LFC is steelhead the little ass wipe that rick needs to get rid of again . he is nothing but a piss ant little bitch

If that's so, Steelhead somehow lost the ability to spell....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gotta say , when these threads run off the rails there isn’t any bringing them back.

I’m a late arrival to this site and am not in the know on a lot of these personality conflicts and arguments , but damn some of this stuff is just off the chain.
Anyone here just agree to disagree without all the hate and vitriol?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
I gotta say , when these threads run off the rails there isn’t any bringing them back.

I’m a late arrival to this site and am not in the know on a lot of these personality conflicts and arguments , but damn some of this stuff is just off the chain.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the past few years have been a chore. Keep smiling.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
back on topic,

I have a 350 Legend I picked up, at a Walmart close out....Savage Action...

it came with a 3 x 9 scope on top, but considering the cartridge, ( and hand loading it) putting a 4X or 1.5 x 4 Shotgun scope...

am looking to load it with the 147 gr XTP....counting on it being a 100 yd rifle for around the yard use....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the past few years have been a chore. Keep smiling.

It's a skillset and a mindset few possess these days.

LOL
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

When their azz gets handed to them a lot of guys go to attacking folks....their brains are so warped they go to accusing people of being someone they're not.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 44mc

If that's so, Steelhead somehow lost the ability to spell....

The great white buwanna even fans the flames....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LFC
I'll believe you as long as you don't say you shot it off hand....

If my memory serves me the late Jack O'Connor shot most his trophies out west with lower powered scopes at pretty long ranges..

Now days a hunter wants a rifle scope to double as a spotting scope...then when the close shot comes most aren't ready.

Sorry, but it's a trigger...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You lost me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LFC
You lost me

You just mistyped with an e instead of an o.

If you want to get back at Jorge just misspell Weatherby.

Last edited by JSTUART; 01/14/22.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ain't that some nitt picky chit....

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.