W
[img]http://[/img]

Attached Images
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Here is photo of my M70 Classic Stainless that I want to get a McMillan synthetic to try and reduce weight.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The easiest way to reduce the weight on a classic .308 is to send it my way. grin

There's a pristine wood/stainless .308 on Gunbroker now, I'm sure we're going to see another $2000+ sale.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Guru, I saw that on Gunbroker.....nice one for sure. It is a 7 digit gun, mine is a 5 digit.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
They are the exact same stock with the exception of the action size and material around the fw barrel profile. Even the ejection cutouts are the same.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very interesting. I guess as a business standpoint it makes sense, but I would have thought the short action fwt stock would have been shorter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Winnie70
Guru, I saw that on Gunbroker.....nice one for sure. It is a 7 digit gun, mine is a 5 digit.

Hang on to your 5 digit. Those are the ones you want. I saw your ad in the classifieds in search of a mcmillan. Good luck with it. I hope you find a good one. You'll have to hold out for an edge though, if you want any significant weight reduction. A smaller stock like the hunters compact/compact edge. That combo is great. Also keep in mind, the lighter you go with the stock, the more top heavy it's going to feel. So a huge hubble on top would be counterproductive. You might also want to consider a new Bansner stock. Or if you sweet talk Nyrifleman, he has a nice Bridges pattern for a short action model 70. That is if he decides to part out his 325WSM.. Also, again for those stating they can't get their rifles to shoot well in the factory tupperware, they don't know how to properly glass bed them. They can be made to shoot exceptionally well. There will be no difference in how it shoots in the factory tupperware, as compared to any other stock. That also includes Mcmillan.. Just a FYI..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
OP’s barrel would have quite a bit of room in NYrifleman’s Bridges. Also, the ejection port cutout on the wsm McMillan will be longer. Both relatively minor, but worth knowing should the OP endeavor to sweet talk NYR. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
OP’s barrel would have quite a bit of room in NYrifleman’s Bridges. Also, the ejection port cutout on the wsm McMillan will be longer. Both relatively minor, but worth knowing should the OP endeavor to sweet talk NYR. smile

Yep, it would definitely have a generous freefloat. I thought of that as well, but it's an easy button, if you don't mind that. Mr. Nyrifleman may not even want to separate the stock from the action, but that is the only one that came to mind when thinking of the op's situation..

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
bsa, thanks for that info i know the 5 digit value. As far as shooting, I have always been a believer in first shot accuracy. Before deer season I always shoot a shot to confirm POA & POI on separate days, this year was a 1/2 POI with a hand load Barnes 130 TTSX, Some years, little more some little less, Am seriously thinking of replacing my old Illuminator 3x9 Redfield with a Leupold VXII 2x7 that weighs 10.5 ozs and that would get me down to 7.10 lbs.or so. I hunt mostly open fields and pastures and seldom take over a 300 yd shot and the Leupold is on a varmint rig now that have taken coyotes at last light with it, In fact, it is somewhat better in gathering light than the Redfield. Will see. Not having any luck finding any thing on classified and will be paying heavy price for a few ozs I know.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
McMillan's have gotten so expensive it makes less and less sense to buy one for weight savings of a few ounces. If we're being honest, most guys on here are probably already carrying an extra 50# or so around the mid section anyway.

That said I would buy one to fix bad ergonomics on a favorite rifle. I tried to buy a G&H pattern off a member for a while, no luck lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa, thanks for that info i know the 5 digit value. As far as shooting, I have always been a believer in first shot accuracy. Before deer season I always shoot a shot to confirm POA & POI on separate days, this year was a 1/2 POI with a hand load Barnes 130 TTSX, Some years, little more some little less, Am seriously thinking of replacing my old Illuminator 3x9 Redfield with a Leupold VXII 2x7 that weighs 10.5 ozs and that would get me down to 7.10 lbs.or so. I hunt mostly open fields and pastures and seldom take over a 300 yd shot and the Leupold is on a varmint rig now that have taken coyotes at last light with it, In fact, it is somewhat better in gathering light than the Redfield. Will see. Not having any luck finding any thing on classified and will be paying heavy price for a few ozs I know.

Sounds like a great rifle. I hear you about first shot accuracy. I sure believe in that as well. I'll also shoot 5-10 shot groups to verify accuracy/precision as well. I'm a shooter, so I look for the opportunity to shoot my rifles. The higher number of shots really confirms your whole shooting system, including the shooter. Something a lot of guys don't like facing, in my experience. Your average hunter is not like a lot of guys I hang out with at my club. Where we shoot 10 shots for score, multiple times in an event. You have the right idea with your rifle though. Even the 2-7 leupold will work out great on that rifle. It is trim, glass is clear and its light weight. Excellent choice for that rifle. There shouldn't be any issues mounting that particular scope on your rifle either. The tube mounting length is optimum: Slightly longer than a 2.5-8x36. I'm hoping someone steps up to the plate and offers you a good mcmillan stock. It may just be a waiting game though. Unless you choose to buy new.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
bsa, thanks again....will be looking for someone on here to turn one loose. That would get it down to close to 7 lbs or so. I would just hope it would not be so light that it would not shoot like it does now. This gun will shoot about anything I throw it, and don't want to mess it up over few ozs. I bought it when they came out about 94 I believe, still have the box and all the paper work also have a Winchester 1994 catalog that came with it....looks like it just came out of the store. I traded a 70's push feed walnut for it....it was a shooter too. Killed many deer with it. They allowed me a good price for it so I got a Classic for a steal at today prices. Have often wondered who bought that push feed...wish I had kept it. Bought it out of trunk of a guys car at local Short Stop for $125 believe it was. Also bought a 70's Redfield Low profile 3 x 9 off him that was on that gun till I traded it. Been a Winchester guy all my life.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Question when you guys put McMillan and one piece do you keep your old parts so you can return them to original or does it matter?? My first 7 mag I sold all the spare parts but my two short actions and 375 I have kept them for now. Just curious y’all’s thoughts.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I put my Leupold VXII 2 x 7 on my W70 Classic 308 today and weighed in at 7 lb 8 oz, so quite an improvement over what I had. Can definitely tell the difference. Just before it got dark was able to fire a few rounds and got it zeroed, and cannot tell any difference in recoil. Will still be on look out for McMillian Edge stock....get it down to almost 7 lbs. would be great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I put my Leupold VXII 2 x 7 on my W70 Classic 308 today and weighed in at 7 lb 8 oz, so quite an improvement over what I had. Can definitely tell the difference. Just before it got dark was able to fire a few rounds and got it zeroed, and cannot tell any difference in recoil. Will still be on look out for McMillian Edge stock....get it down to almost 7 lbs. would be great.

7 pounds would be sweet winnie. That 2-7 Leupold should work out great too and not too be too top heavy. Just about perfect for packing around in the woods. I'll be working on my new XTR FWT tonight.. Haven't pulled the stock off yet or even cleaned it yet, but I may start a thread on it, if It needs a bedding job. I look forward to playing around with that one and shooting the little 22-250. Judging by the condition of the bore, I'm thinking it should turn in moa 5 shot groups. The rifle hasn't been shot a lot.. However, my gut feeling tells me it's not going to shoot as well as my cheap azzed Stevens 200..

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.