Print Thread
Hop To
#16840843 01/14/22
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Has anyone here bought and used a new Colt made by CZ? I saw and handled another one (the last one was a couple months ago) and it was a nice rifle. It was the 20" A2 look alike model. Has the detachable carry handle, so it's an A4 I guess. The last one I checked out was $1,300.00. The one I saw recently was $1,050.00. I didn't think it was a bad buy. What say you guys? This time I asked if the rifle was under the recent recall and the shop person said they were aware of the recall and they had sent in all the Colts that were affected. This one had a clean bill of health.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have not seen one yet. My local shop is loaded up on Daniel Defence and S&W

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Someone needs to be the damn guinea pig.. ha ha..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like mine. It's the M4-style. I can't tell much of a difference between it and pre-CZ Colts. I would like to buy one of the A4 like you were looking at.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a new 6920. It's a solid rifle but the older Colts have better fit and finish. The new ones out source most of their parts, then the Colt factory inspects, marks and assembles them. The inhouse part making at Colt is no longer. My upper and lower has some play and the metal finish is slightly off. I'm not worried about it since it's a working rifle. It shoots pretty well, about 1.5 inch groups at 100. It's combat gassed so the recoil impulse is stiff compared to modern mid-length gas guns. The Colt markings are also different from the older Colts if that matters to you. Overall it's a good gun, but other companies make a better rifle in the same price point, that is the carbine length gas system of the 6920 vs a mid-length BCM or similar. The 20'' gun should be smooth and shoot well.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cutlass1971
I have a new 6920. It's a solid rifle but the older Colts have better fit and finish. The new ones out source most of their parts, then the Colt factory inspects, marks and assembles them. The inhouse part making at Colt is no longer. My upper and lower has some play and the metal finish is slightly off. I'm not worried about it since it's a working rifle. It shoots pretty well, about 1.5 inch groups at 100. It's combat gassed so the recoil impulse is stiff compared to modern mid-length gas guns. The Colt markings are also different from the older Colts if that matters to you. Overall it's a good gun, but other companies make a better rifle in the same price point, that is the carbine length gas system of the 6920 vs a mid-length BCM or similar. The 20'' gun should be smooth and shoot well.

The older colts have better fit and finish? Ok... I have an older colt. Is this fu cking normal?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My pre ban must not fin in that "older" category?? Sometimes I wonder where the fu ck some of you guys get your info from.. Carry on though. From what I've seen, the new colts have much better fit and finish...

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have several pre-ban, post ban and new. I work with Colt armorer instructors. I get my info from the horses mouth. Not sure where you get your info from, but carry on.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The older colts have better fit and finish? Ok... I have an older colt. Is this fu cking normal?

My pre ban must not fin in that "older" category?? Sometimes I wonder where the fu ck some of you guys get your info from.. Carry on though. From what I've seen, the new colts have much better fit and finish...

I've never seen a colt that had a finish like that one. I'm sure it happens. But every one we ever had was a much better finish. Not that I care about looks. That looks like a SGW finish from the 80s.

Last colts we bought were circa 90 IIRC. They were in the ban IIRC. Had the stupid block in the lower. came with riveted 10 rounders.

I've not seen the new CZ either. I"d prefer the gun shoot better rather than look better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having been directly involved with several business buyouts / take-overs / mergers, I really doubt that CZ has had any real effect at all on the actual product being produced by Colt in any of their plants yet.

Higher level, structural changes, yeah, to some degree, but what happens day to day in the plants, takes a much longer time to implement & CZ has not had anywhere near enough time to change much yet.

JME

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Having been directly involved with several business buyouts / take-overs / mergers, I really doubt that CZ has had any real effect at all on the actual product being produced by Colt in any of their plants yet.

Higher level, structural changes, yeah, to some degree, but what happens day to day in the plants, takes a much longer time to implement & CZ has not had anywhere near enough time to change much yet.

JME

MM

They had enough time to cause a recall. Trust me, they are getting their grimy hands in there. Most here say CZ will produce a far better product than Colt actually did. I guess time will tell all. The ones I've handled looked pretty good. I'd buy one, but I don't like the detachable carry handle. I could solve that pretty damn easy though...

With that being said, I doubt it's going to shoot like my original. Even though the original looks like a pocked mark teenager... Its only chump change though. I may buy one.... Anyone want a flat top receiver???

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

I've never seen a colt that had a finish like that one. I'm sure it happens. But every one we ever had was a much better finish. Not that I care about looks. That looks like a SGW finish from the 80s.

Last colts we bought were circa 90 IIRC. They were in the ban IIRC. Had the stupid block in the lower. came with riveted 10 rounders.

I've not seen the new CZ either. I"d prefer the gun shoot better rather than look better.

Its a pre ban without the sear block. I believe it to be made late 80's or early 90's. I love how it shoots though buddy. It has a good barrel on it...

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
FWIW, Colt Defense has never been known for “fit and finish”, their end users only cared about reliability. They also have operated under bankruptcy many times and have operated with non union workers while their union workers walked the picket lines on strike. The end result was still rifles and carbines that passed mil spec inspections.

CZ will have growing pains but I have faith they will catch on.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
FWIW, Colt Defense has never been known for “fit and finish”, their end users only cared about reliability. They also have operated under bankruptcy many times and have operated with non union workers while their union workers walked the picket lines on strike. The end result was still rifles and carbines that passed mil spec inspections.

Thanks for your input buddy. I see it that way too. I love their pistols, so I'm cheering them on. I know they fu ck up a good trigger though. Ask Dirtfarmer about that one. The stupid fuggs also used plastic followers in some of their CZ550 American rifles too. They have been known to put their head in their azz a time or 2 or 3... Backwards safety comes to mind.. Fu ck... Maybe I'll wait a year or 3..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TWR

^^This^^ Well said. Been around long enough to have drawer full of uppers from late '60s forward to the '00s. What I've seen of the later ones echoes the above.

Late '80s bought a green label HBAR that had a machining overrun resulting in a very sharp pointed edge top of carry handle. Took it off with a file - the horror! People obsess with "fit and finish" in areas that have zero to do with function and reliability. Turnbull makes ARs for them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495

Its a pre ban without the sear block. I believe it to be made late 80's or early 90's. I love how it shoots though buddy. It has a good barrel on it...

If it shoots then there isn't a thing other worth posting on it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
What he said👆🏼

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a FN AR-15, problem solved.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was in a reputable shop this week
They were told by the CZ rep they were hands off for the next 12 to 18 months min

After that they would make changes

Maybe true maybe not
But it sounds very reasonable
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,003
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.