Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by humdinger
I struggle with these calls and pretty much gave up.

Please attache links of the better instructional videos and I'll try again.

I guess working from home during the pandemic has an advantage I can practice calls while working...

I thought I had laid it out pretty simple.

BP-B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I agree, Winnie. Each winter I notice a regression from the previous year. I have to relearn things.

Ever hear the saying "Once you learn how to ride a bike you never forget".

That holds true with a Turkey call too....once the sound is imprinted in your head.

I never practice on calls...a week or so before Turkey season I get my diaphragm calls out of the freezer wash them and pick out a few of the best ones....they change some year to year.
Does my calling get better as the season progresses....sure it does.

The same with my other calls I get them out check them and do any maintenance needed load the vest and get my practice in the woods because I learned how to "ride the bike".

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

It just bugs me that I cannot seem to get the hang of mouth calls.

I'm a study of turkeys, turkey hunting (spring and fall), turkey killing, turkey calls, turkey call history and turkey hunters that I've talked with or met and observed over the years.

Not bragging but there's not much I don't know about it...

Turkeys calls....you basically have two classes of calls mechanically operated shuffling boxes (attached lid), slates and glass pots, scratch boxes, push pins, and the others....

Trumpets, diaphragms, tube calls are the calls that require more than just making a mechanical movement and require having somewhat of a musical ear.

But there are still some mechanics involved with all of them....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do think that many times hunters try to sound like they are in a competition or something. Had head many many real turkeys that I thought at first were hunters that could not call worth a crap only to see a turkey walk out into the field. You don't have to be perfect.
Paraphrasing the words of Phil Robertson (the Duck Commander) "A real turkey (he said ducks) could not win a calling contest".

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I've never heard a turkey that sounded bad....at times they do sound different.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I do think that many times hunters try to sound like they are in a competition or something. Had head many many real turkeys that I thought at first were hunters that could not call worth a crap only to see a turkey walk out into the field. You don't have to be perfect.
Paraphrasing the words of Phil Robertson (the Duck Commander) "A real turkey (he said ducks) could not win a calling contest".

Agreed. I've been hunting since the early 70s and have heard all kinds of noises coming out of turkeys. Some sounds don't even have names, I'm convinced. I've heard kee kees in the spring and gobbles in the dead of winter. Turkeys aren't computer progems. They do what they want when they want to. The only sure thing is that if you spend enough time in the woods you'll soon that there is no sure thing when it comes to turkey sounds.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC

I guess working from home during the pandemic has an advantage I can practice calls while working...

Of course LFC... you're the expert.

I'll still seek other peoples input. People get second opinions on doctors too...

Last edited by humdinger; 01/14/22.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bubba I don't why I even bothered to try and help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

Of course LFC... you're the expert.

I'll still seek other peoples input. People get second opinions on doctors too...

grin

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I hear this said ALL the time.

Yes.......... I have heard hens make some awful sounds. And, no. You do NOT have to be perfect. But the more realistic you are, the better your chances are. I would rate woodsmanship and knowing the terrain as most important to a successful hunt. When I started hunting turkeys, I only knew about 3 other guys who hunted them, too. Competition was low and pressure was nonexistent. Now, it seems everybody and his brother hunts turkeys. The vast majority of guys I hear calling in the woods suck at it. Over the years, I have begun to put more and more credence in realistic calling.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The first mouth call started out with was a Camp Calls out of Talladega, Alabama. I don't see them anymore but, was a great call. It took me awhile to get good with it. They take some practice sometimes.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Yes.......... I have heard hens make some awful sounds. And, no. You do NOT have to be perfect. But the more realistic you are, the better your chances are. I would rate woodsmanship and knowing the terrain as most important to a successful hunt. When I started hunting turkeys, I only knew about 3 other guys who hunted them, too. Competition was low and pressure was nonexistent. Now, it seems everybody and his brother hunts turkeys. The vast majority of guys I hear calling in the woods suck at it. Over the years, I have begun to put more and more credence in realistic calling.

I agree with you. I guess my point is, I don't get all tore up if I hit a bad note once in awhile. I want to sound as good as I can but sometimes things happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409

I agree with you. I guess my point is, I don't get all tore up if I hit a bad note once in awhile. I want to sound as good as I can but sometimes things happen.

100%+

Yep

Much to the OP's query............. I've been using diaphragm calls for over 40 years. Took a little while to get onto them to where I could kill a turkey with them with regularity. Took a lot longer than that to where I felt like I actually SOUNDED like a turkey. To this day, I am still tweaking and trying to perfect my execution. I'll never be a competition caller. Those guys have a gift.........like a pro athlete. But I do get a little satisfaction outta having another hunter tell me "Dude !!! I really thought you were a real hen".

Put a diaphragm in your mouth and leave it there til you get A SOUND. Then start making THAT sound into a turkey hen sound. You can watch videos if they help you. Or you can just learn on your own which manipulations of air and call and tongue produce a desired effect. Beyond that........... know what a real wild turkey hen actually sounds like. THIS is why most of the guys I hear in the woods suck at calling. They know how to "talk"............they just say stuff that no wild turkey hen ever said.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't think occasional bad notes are as harmful as calling too loudly. I called loudly from my set up for too many years because that's what produced the most gobbles. And while it reliably produced gobbles, it didn't reliably bring in birds. Gobbles are a tom's calls to hens to come to him. It's hard to get a tom to come in when he thinks the hen is actively looking for him. He'll keep calling to her so she can find him, but he won't come looking for her when he thinks she on her way looking for him. Too many times I've heard a tom's gobble get further and further away as I called louder and louder.

Now, first thing, if my traditional locator doesn't get a gobble, then I'll strike a few really loud, really high pitched yelps first thing to get a ressponse. After that I move to my set up location. I switch to a glass or true slate and go a much softer, raspier notes. Works much better to get a tom to come in than calling loudly. And the soft and quiters the closer they get seems to work best for me. In fact, I scarcely call at all once he's in sight.

What holds true for men seem to hold true for toms. The best piece of ass was the one you had to go after, not the one that came to you.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 01/15/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I usually start soft and work my way up in volume until I get a response. If no response, I wait a little while and repeat,. Depending on what is going on, I either give it some time or move on

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Once you really learn to.hunt/call turkeys the term "usually" goes out the window.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There's a simple answer to every problem scenario you wrote about.

This thread went from my sucky calling on a diaphragm to how I call turkeys occasionally.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LFC

If that was pointed at me, only YOU can answer that question.

I didn't ask for video links from you.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Exactly at you....you can't learn to play a diaphragm call from a video.....just like you can't learn to Turkey hunt from a video.

I might as well been telling my dog the machanics of a diaphragm caller.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

If that was pointed at me, only YOU can answer that question.

I didn't ask for video links from you.

Don't even engage with him. He's a troll and has been from his first day.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.