Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have some Rapala Fillet knives that I can't get a good razor edge on them. Thicker blades knives aren't much of a problem.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A good whetstone, and a good boning steel .

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Work Sharp. Thirty seconds and you're done.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
project farm just did a video on knife sharpeners on youtube. Very consistent and unbiased reviews.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a Radda.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 1200 grit diamond plate, then a hard black Arkansas stone, then a strop. The secret is to not get it too dull.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rada cost 9 bucks and when cleaning a lot of red snappers works great. clean two or three fish run the knife through the rada about five strokes and keep going. We'd clean thirty-forty fish at a time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

This is all I use, perfect every time

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntersdog
I have some Rapala Fillet knives that I can't get a good razor edge on them. Thicker blades knives aren't much of a problem.

Might be the knives, not your skills or sharpening tools.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Rada for decades

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A 10 dollar Acuusharp works better and quicker than my Lanskys and other ones that cost 10x more.Amazon

Last edited by Kenneth; 01/15/22.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Around my part of the world, the charter guys and gals just use a big diamond stone for the angle and then a steel for tune ups. And in my opinion, the old Rapala's with the wooden handles were pretty decent steel. I don't have any of the new plastic black handle style so cannot comment. Years ago, I was taught by a slime line fore-woman that you can have a too sharp knife, when you are skinning smooth skinned fish like lingcod, halibut.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Around my part of the world, the charter guys and gals just use a big diamond stone for the angle and then a steel for tune ups. And in my opinion, the old Rapala's with the wooden handles were pretty decent steel. I don't have any of the new plastic black handle style so cannot comment. Years ago, I was taught by a slime line fore-woman that you can have a too sharp knife, when you are skinning smooth skinned fish like lingcod, halibut.

I agree. The birch handled Rapalas are still made in Finland as far as I know and are/should be good knives. Others are made in China and who knows?

I also think you can over polish a knife. Think of it this way.....a knife edge is like a microscopic saw blade with teeth. A properly honed 400-600 grit edge has larger teeth that can bite into meat, scales, hide, whatever. If you take that knife to much higher polish levels in the thousands of grit like people do straight razors almost all of the teeth are removed. That is great for shaving, maybe not so great for cutting meat. Going back to the saw analogy, it would be like using a hacksaw to cut a limb off a tree as opposed to a bow saw. You can certainly do it, but you are going to work harder.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rada would be great for those, wouldn’t use it on my hunting knives

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^true this^^^ The girls on the slime line that just make the 2 cuts through the rib bones have a ragged saw edge on their knives. Another small point, the pros use straight knives without the wicked curve of the traditional filet knife...don't get me wrong, I love an old Rapala, but when it's speed, volume, safety, you will see Dexter Russell's on the line.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/15/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth
A 10 dollar Acuusharp works better and quicker than my Lanskys and other ones that cost 10x more.Amazon
I use a similar one made by Smith. As was said before, the trick is to not let it get too dull. If you do, you'll have to go back to a heavy duty sharpener and waste a bunch of time. One of these will keep it touched up for a long time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
favorite is always cardboard wheels on a cheap grinder. Gotta be careful though. they are dangerous., rada we have on the filet table in AK. So far not all that impressed. Though I think it may be worn out. I try to filet only a few salmon, hit it again, and so on. But Its so wobbly I bet I should buy a new one.

FWIW Havalon makes a filet knife. Blades not that cheap but it sure isn't dull

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by ltppowell

This is all I use, perfect every time

I'm a believer.....I use it for every kind of knife I have.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you fillet a lot of fish and haven't tried "Bubba" products, you are missing out.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 37 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.