Print Thread
Hop To
S
SSMT Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I’ve heard all the benefits of carbon barrels but how do they hold up to impacts in the field? Has anyone experienced chips, nicks or cracks and is small damage like this repairable?

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've experienced no issues with durability. None.

*Mine are all Proofs.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
SSMT Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks for your feedback. Ill be picking one up soon, I plan on this being my backcountry elk and deer rifle. I definitely don’t want issues way back in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 rifles with Bartlein CF wrapped barrels. I've only hunted with one of them over the last 2 seasons. It does have a couple small nicks in the CF, nothing other than cosmetic. Of the CF wrapped I think the Proof might hold up better on the outside, but not a better barrel other than maybe "prettier".

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've wondered about this as well. I've hunted a proof barreled rifle a couple of times this year but not heavily. Looking forward to feedback from others who've used one longer in hard use.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
S
SSMT Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I’ll have to look for that video.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That sounds pretty tough. Thanks HB!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel

I watched that vid, impressive as hell.

Heavy barrel; PM sent.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL

Mine will be shot out and replaced well before five decades passes—they won't make it 10 years.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 3 Proofs and have been impressed with them for a few reasons. I have not dropped or had any instances to test the barrels for damage but with normal usage they look like they did when I got them.

7mm REM Mag with a 26” Sendero Lite
6mm CM with a 24” Sendero Lite
223 Wylde with a 18” Sendero Lite on an AR

I use a suppressor on the 6mm and AR; both with ASR Brakes.

I like how they feel, look, carry, but most importantly, all three rifles are excellent on accuracy. I would put them up against any other name brand steel barrels that I have for accuracy and they might in fact be the most accurate.

I used the 6mm with a group of friends this weekend and it got lots of awesome comments.

I will most definitely buy Proof Carbon Fiber barrels again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.