Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If there was sufficient demand for #1's you can bet your bippy that Ruger would be making more of them. Face it, we are a niche market and while we all consider ourselves to be quite debonair and practical for gravitating to them, the Great Unwashed Masses think we're hopelessly outdated.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
....and probably more money.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If there was sufficient demand for #1's you can bet your bippy that Ruger would be making more of them. Face it, we are a niche market and while we all consider ourselves to be quite debonair and practical for gravitating to them, the Great Unwashed Masses think we're hopelessly outdated.

Yep...it is a trend in the market that is also reflected in the decline of participation in hunting. A quick scan of the scope market reinforces this. More and more offerings with technical reticles, turrets and high magnification. The offerings for smaller, lighter, streamlined scopes with simple reticles and generous eye relief are dwindling quickly.

All signs of a shifting market focus away from traditional and classy firearms focused primarily for hunting as it moves to cater to the precision, long range, AR and competition markets.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small market... that Ruger keeps making smaller and smaller by lowering the quality of the rifles, lowering the quality of the wood, all while continuously raising the price. Well no sht they're not selling, you don't need to be genius to figure out why.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's a rare person who I show my #1 to that doesn't ooh and aww over it, but most want more than one shot. I always wanted one in 7x57 but could never find one when I had the money. A friend has one with the .275 Rigby markings. Nice rifle that just looks and feels right. I would like to have more, but they are being priced out of my range.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cas6969
Small market... that Ruger keeps making smaller and smaller by lowering the quality of the rifles, lowering the quality of the wood, all while continuously raising the price. Well no sh@t they're not selling, you don't need to be genius to figure out why.

This is all correct, especially the lower quality wood. Pretty soon Ruger will run out of pallets and then the price will really jump.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by cas6969
Small market... that Ruger keeps making smaller and smaller by lowering the quality of the rifles, lowering the quality of the wood, all while continuously raising the price. Well no sh@t they're not selling, you don't need to be genius to figure out why.

This is all correct, especially the lower quality wood. Pretty soon Ruger will run out of pallets and then the price will really jump.

Fortunately they still have a warehouse full of used tank tread pads to use as "recoil pads"... wink

I still like Ruger No. 1's but these days the used market seems to be the best place to shop. Looking back at some of the wood they used to use breaks your heart in comparison to what's on the rifles now. Also the overall fit and finish was miles better - forends and receivers without big gaps between them, wood that wasn't way proud of the receiver and levers that snapped shut tightly, not rattle loosely when closed. The 90's when they started making their own barrels up through maybe the early 2010's would seem to offer the best examples in terms of good accuracy combined with a still high build quality.

A fellow just needs to get used to the idea that if you want a nice Ruger No. 1 you're going to spend some bucks, and part of that might be a new barrel for an older red pad model (total gamble on those old Wilson barrels). I currently have an itch for a nice No. 3 in .22 Hornet to be sent to RJ Renner for one of his treatments. Total cost would run way over $2000 and more likely something over $2500, and I'd still be gambling on the accuracy of the barrel but that's life in the 21st Century. Right now there is a total dearth of suitable components for a Hornet so that itch will remain unscratched for the foreseeable future.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Interesting comments on the red pad/Wilson barrel#1s. I had four of the newer, black pad guns. One 1B in 22H, two 1V in 22 PPC, and a 1V in 223. All were dogs in accuracy department. I tried the various forend floating and pressure schemes, Kepplinger trigger, etc. they were a money pit. Said I’d never own another, I lied. Found a red pad 218 Bee. Floated the forend and put in a Jard trigger.It’s reasonably accurate, 1” or better most of the time.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That price is ridiculous for what the #1 has become. Wood with no character and "proud" at the junction with the receiver. Bluing that is rather ordinary. Chamberings that are a collective yawn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd still like one in a 22LR.

1Minute
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am surprised Ruger still makes a few Ruger #1`s ? the new crowd wants plastic black guns, great looking wood with great looking bluing is or will be a thing of the past most want it in a 6.5 Creedmoor or 556 the uniqueness of the classic old romantic cartridges of the past are dead with most of new crowd too . some of this might be from a single parent family , TV cop shows and movies we just don`t see shows with nice looking rifles or shotguns ,what a shame. we never ever hear a mention of a handed down nice rifle , shotgun ,1911 or a revolver thru family generations in any show or movie ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I am not so sure. Miruko/Winchester sells the 1885 single shot. I mean 2022 and Miruko is selling wood and steel guns. The gun is built to a higher standard of fit and finish, in a country with higher labor and material costs and it retails for less money! And based on my experience with both, the Miruko are more accurate. I would not put this all on newbie's chasing black guns, Although demand may limit offerings in the more traditional space for average blue-collar price guns,

Bottom line, Ruger has a certain corporate policy for a profit margin that dictates the pricing. The Ruger steel revolvers are getting high priced and rumored Marlin prices may rival or exceed Miruko lever gun prices. Actually, Henry is looking better all the time. I dont own a Henry and I dont want a Henry. But that is subject to change. They do provide some nice wood stocks,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can you imagine if Ruger contracted with Miroku to make the No. 1?

A high quality, beautifully finished and most likely very accurate rifle at a more or less reasonable price (for what you'd get). Made in Japan.

You could find a picture of one in the dictionary next to the words "Mixed feelings". wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jim, I have one Ruger #1, and one Win 1885. And have owned and sold a few more of both. Your comments are spot on. The Japan made gun is much nicer and immensely more accurate.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lover of the No 1 since my first in 1974.

But those prices are nuts for what you get.

Not interested.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a couple of newer ones in 22 Hornet and 35 Whelan that shoot pretty well but for the most part a factory #1 is good for one thing and thats the action for a custom build.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have a couple of newer ones in 22 Hornet and 35 Whelan that shoot pretty well but for the most part a factory #1 is good for one thing and thats the action for a custom build.

Possibly a bit harsh but the newer models I have bought do leave something to be desired.

I do think this is a bit ridiculous, but I am watching with this one with some curiosity to see just how high this goes. For the action alone, even a 4 digit, I think the current bid of a grand is just silly.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921599348

Who wants to take bets on where the price lands with 3 days left to go?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The most I've paid for a donor rifle is $700.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The prices listed are ridiculous. However, so is gas. The times we live in

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hard pass.

Geez I remember a time when they were chamber in a long list of calibers.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Does anyone recall when the Lipsey #1's usually show up on their website or Rugers?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

418 members (17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,707
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.