Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Anyone have any experience/info about booking a trip around the Erie area for a walleye/perch charter? Looking at going up this Spring maybe 6-8 of us. Hate to go on a head boat but with that number guessing our only option. Lodging would also be needed. I was up this Fall for the Steelhead run. Not my cup of tea. Way too crowded but liked the area and thought this trip might be kind of fun. Has anyone booked a trip, knows a charter, has any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Mark

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
These guys were GREAT for our group of 8
Coe Vanna Charters, LLC

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Thanks rodman I will look into them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
With 8 guys, walleye fishing would be more enjoyable for all to go on two boats, For perch one boat is fine, and depending on the time of year, April / May you want to start in the Bass inlands area and as the waters warm, June /July, move east to Geneva Conneaut harbor, July/ August Elk Creek to Eire, all of the lake produces great walleye fishing its just some places get outstanding with the summer heat and the water clarity.

The perch fishing has really been hit and miss for the last couple of years, go with the walleyes, you will not be disappointed.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds likely you'll have a great trip.

IC B2

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by jimy
With 8 guys, walleye fishing would be more enjoyable for all to go on two boats, For perch one boat is fine, and depending on the time of year, April / May you want to start in the Bass inlands area and as the waters warm, June /July, move east to Geneva Conneaut harbor, July/ August Elk Creek to Eire, all of the lake produces great walleye fishing its just some places get outstanding with the summer heat and the water clarity.

The perch fishing has really been hit and miss for the last couple of years, go with the walleyes, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the details jimy. Forgot to mention it will be a trip with college buddies and wives/ kid. Not real serious but would like the social aspect with refreshments. Catching some fish would be a definite bonus. I would like to be on one boat. What scares me though is the head boat experience with a bunch of idiots and/or aholes.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ilikguns
Originally Posted by jimy

Thanks for the details jimy. Forgot to mention it will be a trip with college buddies and wives/ kid. Not real serious but would like the social aspect with refreshments. Catching some fish would be a definite bonus. I would like to be on one boat. What scares me though is the head boat experience with a bunch of idiots and/or aholes.

Oh there are plenty of boats big enough to handle your group, its just captains don't like to take groups that large, because of crowding and rough water, lake Erie is a shallow lake that gets rough in a hurry, if you want to party, Erie is where you want to go or Geneva Ohio, both places will entertain you !

I would recommend Erie , because of the shorter boat ride to deep water and some of the largest charter boats go out of the Peninsula, Google Commodore Perry, and Perry's monument, the whole Presque peninsula is a great time.

https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMCBFK_Perry_Monument_Presque_Isle_State_Park_Erie_PA

Last edited by jimy; 01/16/22. Reason: added a link

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you plan on going in spring, strongly recommend wester/mid Ohio. Fished the last few springs-early June out of Erie with mixed results. Fishing was ALWAYS better to the west. By west, I mean Ohio. Yes, you will get your resident fish out of PA, but the large majority are still in western basin.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Your getting a lot of great Advice here!

I've lived Near Cleveland my whole life!

Love to catch and re lease Steal head on a fly rod, in the Many
tributaries, in Ohio and P. A.
The Action is Unbelievable!
Hence the Name, "Steal head Alley"
from Western Ohio to N.Y.

Perch fishing has been Bad for the past few years, due to many reasons!
But its a lot of fun when you get a double, or triple, on your Perch rig!

Walleye Fishing is off the Charts, NOW, and This Past year!!!

Like some one earlier said, it's hard to put 8 on one boat!
Group of 8,
Separate, to 2 groups of 4!!!

Make a Weakened out of it, and go 2 days!

Come in on a Thursday, Have fun, Reminisce,
Fish, Friday, and switch up Groups, with straws,
and Fish Saturday, and go home safely on Sunday!

Just a few re minders, Charter Captains are super great people,
So respect them and don't drink on there Boat!
Do that when your done Fishing, in the Evening!

Like some one else said, Rule of Thumb, go west,(San dusky area),
(WEST)early,(Spring).
moving East as the Summer, and into the Fall, comes in, to Erie, P. A.(FALL)!

Walleye is Trolling, Fish On! (That's why 4 to a boat is Plenty)!

San Dusky is a Blast when the Sun Shines!
Spring, through, to Fall!

Come Early Summer, and stay in San Dusky, and you'll experience it All!

Good Luck!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Thanks guys! A lot of great info. 👍

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 51 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.