Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
John made his brass out of 6.5-284 but both Lapua and Peterson's are now making it. I suppose it's because of the resurgence of interest in the cartridge since a 1000 yard record was set with one in F-Class competition.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. I would have used Peterson brass, except there wasn't any (or Lapua) in stock anywhere I could find on the Internet. Graf & Sons is supposedly the sole seller of Peterson, and of course some did show up on Graf's website AFTER I submitted the article. Now have a 50-round box of it too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
John, in your experience with the cartridge, when loaded up to CIP pressures, what do you see it equivalent to? In the article I think you mentioned that it lags a bit behind the .280 Rem, but at CIP pressure do you see it still lagging, or equaling/exceeding the .280 Rem? If so I can see why Melvin Forbes thought it was ideal for one of his rifles.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nosler catalogs 6.5-284 Norma brass. I have used it and it seems to be perfectly acceptable. I do prefer Lapua, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enjoyed the article John,

I love this old cartridge. It was way ahead of its time. Minimum body taper, steep shoulder angle and rebated case head. It would be decades before other cartridges showed up with similar characteristics. The 300 RUM comes to mind.

I began my journey with the 284 Win back around 1985. My first and only rifle was a Ruger Tang Safety in 6mm Rem. I wore the barrel out and went to see the late Harry Lawson, here in Tucson, about rebarreling it.

Harry suggested I let him install one of his Remington takeoff barrels in 7 Rem mag, cutting off some of the chamber end, threading and rechambering. It was a perfect fit! The unaltered rifle's magazine was approx 2.950" IIRC and fed the 284 fast or slow. First bullet choice was the 140 Sierra gameking. Killed many coues wt, javelina, jackrabbits, coyotes and even a coati with that original barrel.

As the years went by the loads and powders changed. Original load was a minor variant from what Bob Hutton suggested. He used 57 or 58 gr of IMR 4350 with a 140 Nosler partition. I used same load data for the Sierras.

I acquired other 284s in several platforms, shot them for a while then moved them along. At one point I even had Ron DeWarf's original 284 Win silhouette rifle he used at the Tucson Rifle Club where the first silhouette range in the country was built! Ron was one of the founding fathers of that range. He sold it to me because it admitted it was a bit too much recoil for him and that type of competition.

Around 10 years ago had the mag box lengthened to a more useful 3.050" and even had a custom reamer made to my specs. It requires neck turning for Winchester brass as the necks were not that concentric. I do my own barrel work now.

More recent powder choices were H4350 then on to RL-17 which shines in this cartridge. RL-17 is used with 120 NBT and 168 Berger hunting VLD, the two current bullets used in this rifle, now on its fourth barrel. (current barrel is a 24" Rem takeoff formerly a 7-08)

Last year I acquired a long action Rem 700 long throated 284 with a 29" barrel. It likes H-4831 and 180 Berger target hybrids. Who knows how long I will keep this rifle but one thing is certain I will never part with my first rifle which will continue to be a 284 win.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
338Rules,

One of the things I point out in the article is that CIP (European) pressures for the .284 are considerably more "spirited" than SAAMI's.

The probable reason for the SAAMI maximum average pressure (MAP) is the .284 was originally designed for the Winchester Model 88 lever-action, and the Model 100 semiauto--which I also point out, and that Europe has a distinct lack of 88s and 100s.

I also discuss "long-throating," and bullets seated out further. The advantages of each are vastly exaggerated--and I also explain why in the article.

Sorry, thinking out loud about a reloading project for a buddies bolt action .284 .
He’s finding ammo hard to source. I may end up with the barrel, or the whole gun.

Standard pressure factory loads are underpowered for this platform.
Seating bullets out with appropriate long throating would help to distinguish the Rifle loads from 56k psi lever loads.

I noticed in your HL article that OAL was up to 2.899” .
Would you go longer if magazine dimensions ( & throating) permit ?

In the style of 6.5x284 Norma, or 300 PRC,, Mo’ Longer, Mo’ Betta

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The 284 was a cool shell made to fit in short actions. Winchester brought it out so people could get 270 performance on game from a lever action, their M88, and then also from their M100 auto loading rifle in 1963.

In any long action however it's an expensive way to get what the 270 and 280 both do, (and do with a bit faster velocities), so unless it's used in a short action it has little reason to exist in my opinion.

Some will make a lot of noise about a few FPS, mostly because of wanting to justify their expenditure. But if you use a long action and you were concerned about a few FPS in a 7MM bore it's hard for me to justify spending a lot of money when you could simply get a 280 or a 7MM Mag for that matter.

The 284 was cool and filled the bill for what it was designed for. Short actions, and specifically lever actions.

Last edited by szihn; 01/12/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It’s funny. The 7-08 and the 280 AI get a lot of ink but the 284 splits the difference perfectly. And R17 is tailor made for it. Its one of the best cartridges not in widespread use. And still one of the best among those that are.

Cream usually rises to the surface, so if the 284 was really a better choice, more people would have chosen it.

Usually, but not necessarily. While all cartridges are made up of the same four components, just in different proportions, the most balanced are not always the best sellers or even recognized as such my the average shooter. We all know it’s a confluence of factors that make or break a cartridges popularity, but some of the most important of which are the initial rifles it’s offered in.

Edit: because hand loading is of course required to reach its potential due to originally so-chambered rifles, it will remain in commercial ammo variety- and availability-limbo..

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/12/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
The 99 I have shoots great with 120 TTSX and IMR 4350. I enjoyed the article also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dang Hanco that's a down right good looking Buck there. It has my favorite shape of whitetail antlers what I call the rocking chair main beams.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by hanco
The 99 I have shoots great with 120 TTSX and IMR 4350. I enjoyed the article also.

Dang Hanco that's a down right good looking Buck there. It has my favorite shape of whitetail antlers what I call the rocking chair main beams.

+1!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Despite what many people say, I personally believe the 284 Winchester was the cartridge design that inspired the WSM line of cartridges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may have started the thread several years ago about the 284 in a Kimber. Or I at least asked the question on someone else's thread. If I recall correctly, the concern was the fat case didn't leave enough metal in the barrel-action junction.

I have one in a Ruger Tanger that has never been out of the box except to show and tell. Back on the day, Ruger put a decent hunk of walnut on their rifles. The rifle was given to me by one of my older hunting buddies because of our shared fondness for Rugers.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are correct in remembering that, then Kimber nixed the idea on the basis of extra expense in machining/production to produce an almost perfect combination of platform and cartridge. And I think it would have sold well had they done so. This, generally, is one weakness of some American gun manufacturers as I see it. Too much of “Let them eat cake” (what we give ‘me) so to speak.

For example, what kind of attitude is Kimber expressing when they say “we will never offer a left hand version”?

It takes a small shops like NULA and Rifles Inc. to bring a SA, lightweight rifle together with a longer than standard box, correct throat, etc. for a cartridge like the 284. It’s not brain surgery to do it right and do it well.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/13/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Brownells carries the Peterson brass

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Despite what many people say, I personally believe the 284 Winchester was the cartridge design that inspired the WSM line of cartridges.

What case did Rick Jamison base his Short Fat magnums on ?
These were certainly the direct ancestors, but the 284 Win dated from the mid ‘50s , So of course it was inspirational.

With a rebated rim, fairly minimal taper, and 35 degree shoulder, all point to this inheritance.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ibelieve that in his first experimentations Rick Jamison used the .425 Westely Richards rebated rimless case as the base for his short magnums. If memory serves he published his developments in different articles, could have been in Guns and Ammo but I am not sure as it was time ago and I do not keep the magazines with me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correction 284 Win was created in 1963

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
People say they were not chambered in the model 70 but I have one in my safe and know of three more in the local area. Were they a special run done for a distributor?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About the time of the 284 win. folks discovered short , fat cartridges were a little more accurate. Think PPC against the old favorite triple deuce. I tried the 6mm and 25 version of the 284. Both were outstanding in the short action 700 I had.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.