Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Doing a build on a Defiance AnTi. Plan to go with a hinged floorplate and a Wyatts box. Looking at Hawkins & Grayboe. Are there others I should consider as well?

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
BP-B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawkins is excellent quality bottom metal. I’d go that route. The grayboe I can’t get over the big G they put on the release button and it’s shaped a little funky.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have 2 Hawkins, they are nice and can't see anything else that would be better.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
those are both nice, Sunnyhills is another good one

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I recommend the following as it gives you the option to switch to an M5 DBM later if you wish and is also setup for the longer OAL of the extended wyatt's boxes. Catch is your stock should be inlet for M5 bottom metal instead of factory, which isn't a big deal if you're ordering the stock but it would need to be inlet to M5 if you already have it:

https://hawkinsprecision.com/product/m5-oberndorf-bottom-metal/

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hawkins all the way!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drano 25
Doing a build on a Defiance .... Plan to go with a hinged floorplate and a Wyatts box....

I did that. did not feed. I was told to pinch the magazine.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
................. and a Wyatts box.
Well,............good luck.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
................. and a Wyatts box.
Well,............good luck.

Care to elaborate?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Another vote for Hawkins.

As for the Wyatt box, I used one with the Hawkins bottom metal in my latest build (Remage 260) and it worked fine, but have heard internet stories of them not working with other Remington clone actions, so YMMV.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wyatts didn’t work for me either. Doesn’t defiance have a long short action option?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
So, the M5 Oberndorf bottom metal, that JCM linked above, specifically says it “is designed for Wyatt extended length box magazines.” The standard Oberndorf bottom metal doesn’t say that. In the video below from Wyatt himself addressing potential feeding issues as solutions, he notes the potential to have machine the bottom metal.

https://youtu.be/IMuFk6CP6OM

I’m wondering if ordering the M5 version might eliminate one potential cause of feeding issues?

Last edited by drano 25; 01/16/22.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a Hawkins BDL bottom metal (non-M5 version) on a Defiance Anti Long Action with a Wyatts box. There is a relief cut at the back of the Wyatts box that allows it to sit on the regular Hawkins BDL bottom metal (Box came this way, wasn’t modified). Everything bolts up great and feeding is not an issue. I used a proof pre-fit and put it together myself too.

I had originally used a regular length box (I don’t reload, so length isn’t needed) but there is a ton of extra room in the magwell behind the box. Swapped out for the Wyatts and it fills the magwell much better.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Sevens
I have a Hawkins BDL bottom metal (non-M5 version) on a Defiance Anti Long Action with a Wyatts box. There is a relief cut at the back of the Wyatts box that allows it to sit on the regular Hawkins BDL bottom metal (Box came this way, wasn’t modified). Everything bolts up great and feeding is not an issue. I used a proof pre-fit and put it together myself too.

I had originally used a regular length box (I don’t reload, so length isn’t needed) but there is a ton of extra room in the magwell behind the box. Swapped out for the Wyatts and it fills the magwell much better.

Thanks for info!

I ordered a Hawkins M5 Oberndorf plus a Wyatt’s box, spring and follower from Redhawk.

Last edited by drano 25; 01/21/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd sloowwwwwww your fhuqking roll and get the horse back in front of the fhuqking cart. Wyatt is simply Dog Schit Fhuqking Junk. Hint.

So back the fhuqk up,connect some dots and you can be kept from painting yourself into more than one corner. Hint.

1) Chambering/RPM/Contour/Throat?
2}Projectile(s) of intent?
3) Stock?
4) Application?
5) Mounting system/optic?

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd sloowwwwwww your fhuqking roll and get the horse back in front of the fhuqking cart. Wyatt is simply Dog Schit Fhuqking Junk. Hint.

So back the fhuqk up,connect some dots and you can be kept from painting yourself into more than one corner. Hint.

1) Chambering/RPM/Contour/Throat?
2}Projectile(s) of intent?
3) Stock?
4) Application?
5) Mounting system/optic?

Hint.................

Haven’t done anything that can’t be undone yet.

1) 7-08/TBD (8.5”-8.7” is plan)/TBD (Brux #2, Rock #3, Bart 2B ballpark)/TBD (162 ELDM at box length?)
2) 139/145 LRX for most hunting, 162 ELDM for play.
3) Not ordered, but probably AG Privateer
4) See below
5) Hawkins LR Hybrid (25MOA). No inclination needed for primary use, but can’t see that it hurts to have it if I need it for play. Optic, see below.

Primary use is Arkansas whitetail, but occasional trip out west for pronghorn or mule deer. Want to be ~7.5 lbs, scopes and empty. Yes, I’m a lazy walk to my stand hunter, morning and evening……but in between I do a fair amount of walking and there aren’t many flat areas on the properties I hunt.

Scope candidates are NF SHV 3-10 or SWFA 3-9. Probably more of a FFP vs SFP question. For most of my hunting I prefer SFP. I have a 3-12 LRTS on another rifle. I get what FFP offers, just not sure it adds any value for this rifles primary use.

Thinking Wyatts box to keep the 162 from occupying powder capacity.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I ordered the M5 Oberndorf bottom metal as JCM suggested above. It is an
Ounce heavier than their standard Obendorf. Seems substantial. It is cut for the Wyatts extended box, which I also ordered along with a Wyatts spring and follower, and a TriggerTech…all in stock from RHR. Brownells had the Hawkins LR Hybrid rings for Defiance actions in stock.

No barrel to screw in to toy with actual feeding. I’ve ran several loaded and empty cartridges (6.5x55, 243 & 6.5 Creedmoor) through it. It picked them all cleanly from the mag and spit them out the front of the action.

Liking these rings. Definitely more substantial than Talleys. Fit to the AnTi receiver body appears better than any other combo I recall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looking good - will be a fine rifle when all completed!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
For another anecdotal reference point...

I built a 6.5PRC a couple years ago using a Bighorn SR3 short action.

The stock I bought (used) had an M5 cut, so I bought both a flush bottom metal and an M5 BDL from Hawkins (along with the Wyatts 6.5PRC kit).
The Terminus magazine that I used in the flush fit bottom metal worked the first time and every time.
The BDL kit needed some massaging of the follower spring to get the back of the cartridge up where the bolt would grab it. When I first installed it the first round would always pick up, but then the base of subsequent rounds were not popping up high enough. I thought I had it fixed, but it cost me a follow up shot. So you really need to check it and do some testing with live ammo incase the shells are moving in the magazine.

Good Luck,
Ross

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.