Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
GoldBacks are collectibles invented to be collectibles. Which is fine if you are selling them but creating the hype and keeping the hype are not necessarily driven by design and printing alone. We live in a society that’s government simply will not allow another currency to exist, in fact the government is working towards CBDCs and one day you’ll wish you could own paper fiat.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
in fact the government is working towards CBDCs and one day you’ll wish you could own paper fiat.

As a practical matter Western economies are already CBDC based. The vast majority of currencies like USD and EUR traded in markets will never exist in physical form. They''ll only ever be bits on someone's electronic ledger. Probably a Jew's.

People get spooked by cryptocurrencies, but most USD transactions are an order of magnitude less secure and authenticated than the smallest crypto exchange.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by J23
Link please.

Goldback

So, they wear out and get to be re melted? Whats the reclamation fee?

Feds could searh your grounds with metal detectors and....

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/14/22.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

When I sell there, they pay me 2% over spot.
If it was deemed by the public to be a convenient form for transactions, whatever the acquisition cost worked out to be would be the trading cost also. That's how it worked when gold coins were in circulation. There's a word for it, but I cannot think of it at the moment, i.e., the cost of transforming gold or silver into the form of a coin. That cost carries over.
Seigniorage

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Feds could searh your grounds with metal detectors and....

Metal detectors will find boomer rocks regardless of which form they are in. That isn't a reason not to keep some around though.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeppers, I'd just as soon buy metals.
That gimmicky stuff ain't my cup of tea!
No gold or silver "plated" anything for me.
Now, I'm no highly eddicated numismatist, but I prefer the feel of metal twixt my grubby fingers.
There are actually 3 prices.
Buy back.
Spot.
Dealer.
"Buy back" is always cheaper than "spot". "Spot" is cheaper than "dealer".
About a year ago, "spot" dropped down to around $13/oz or so. Dealer prices stayed up on the $28 to $30/oz range.

What few times I've considered selling, they won't take less than $1K worth of coins. My old tightwad self, I ain't selling THAT much!

I've found "jmbullion" and "provident metals" to be reliable dealers when making purchases ... so far! LOL!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

When I sell there, they pay me 2% over spot.
If it was deemed by the public to be a convenient form for transactions, whatever the acquisition cost worked out to be would be the trading cost also. That's how it worked when gold coins were in circulation. There's a word for it, but I cannot think of it at the moment, i.e., the cost of transforming gold or silver into the form of a coin. That cost carries over.
Seigniorage

Yes. Thanks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by smallfry
in fact the government is working towards CBDCs and one day you’ll wish you could own paper fiat.

As a practical matter Western economies are already CBDC based. The vast majority of currencies like USD and EUR traded in markets will never exist in physical form. They''ll only ever be bits on someone's electronic ledger. Probably a Jew's.

People get spooked by cryptocurrencies, but most USD transactions are an order of magnitude less secure and authenticated than the smallest crypto exchange.

Yes money is electronically transacted now, CBDC is an effort to rid paper fiat, which fiat or not that is bad.

Crypto has never really become what it was marketed as, has a huge fundamental problem as a “currency”, and the fed will never let it “become a currency”.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Interesting concept.
For now, I believe the best method may be pre'64 Mercury dimes, that are currently worth $2 each.

- Rogue
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Interesting concept.
For now, I believe the best method may be pre'64 Mercury dimes, that are currently worth $2 each.

I have a sack full of them. A silver coin about that size was the price of a day's labor for the vast majority of human history.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.