Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Currently using a Heybo Jacket, but after this weekend I am thinking of buying something else. I need something that does a better job of keeping me dry in the rain.

Must come in Mossy Oak so Sitka is out.

Most of my other waterfowl gear is Drake since it seems to fit me better. Most of my waterfowl hunting is from a blind so I don't use chest waders. Love to know what jackets are warm for late season, but really waterproof? I have gear for 50 degrees and up, but got pretty cold this past Sunday.

Thanks....

My current jacket. Heybo in Mossy Oak It got pretty soaked and is suppose to be waterproof.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I need waterproof, I wear Frogg Togs either under or over my coat and bibs depending on the amount of noise I can get away with. The combination has worked very well for me whether hunting, fishing, canoeing, or any other reason I have to be in the rain.

So called "waterproof" clothing has not been that unless rubber, vinyl, neoprene. or other material and then one gets wet from perspiration on the inside instead of rain from the outside. The combo mentioned above has a similar problem but I seem to manage it a little better with layering and the type of material used in my clothing.

I also wear a wide brimmed hat as the brim helps keep rain from running down my neck and out of my face. I have a camo hat that works well in warmer temps then use an old beater olive colored Stetson that lost its lining for cold temps. The missing lining allows me to wear a stocking cap under the hat which keeps my ears and head warm. I push the crowns out and spray the hats with Kiwi Camp Dry to lessen water seeping through.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Frogg toggs is good, but sleeves are too short. I wore one this weekend and it worked OK.

This doesn't help, but I have old browning shell, very thin, but tough and made of goretex. It's a pullover with 1/4 zip. It's the driest thing I've ever worn. The zipper is starting to wear out. I wish I could find another like it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a lot of Drake mid season and late season and it has done a good job keeping me warm and dry

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an older USA made Browning Parka that is good. Bought on Ebay for $60 and had been never used.

RAVENS & WOLVES
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine is Drake and I've worn it a decade. Ducks on the bay, in the water, on land. Deer hunting, rabbits, shoveling snow etc.

Been so good to me - I'd be hard pressed to look elsewhere if I needed to replace it.

Me

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Not much in stock now, but leaning towards a Drake parka. I like that they have tons of pockets.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I love mossy oak, but if it HAS to be mossy oak, you may jus have to stay wet, too. Very hard to find good, durable, AND waterproof in the match patterns these days. If it’s gonna pour, Sitka or other premium is the ticket , as far as I can tell….and most have different patterns than mossy oak or realtree. It’s ducks. All my stuff is a mishmash of whatever works and is comfortable…..whatever the pattern, if it’s not just brown, tan, or green.

Having said all of that, I do hear the banded and new drake guide stuff is good. I’ve got some banded in Mossy oak, but haven’t really temped the downpours yet. If it’s just ‘wet’ out, then my waxed McAlister and Filson, and old drake and Columbia stuff work fine. My Sitka is for surviving the unexpected downpour or rough boat ride. Aside from that, I ain’t hunting in the rain. Ducks everywhere I hunt seem to hate anything more than a misty drizzle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.