Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I see it stacked on pallets in the walmarts. Thought about trying it.

I’ve never eaten Spam.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’ve never eaten Spam.

I hear they find cans of it from the Byrd and Ammundsen expeditions in cold places that are still good. Even the slow growing, cold loving bacteria won't touch it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straight out of the can with lots of yellow mustard. Good eats.

Yup.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fried... is there any other way ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is no wrong way to eat that Schitt. Couple of my pro tips - try it in Reuben sandwich replacing the corned beef, all other elements the same. Cube it up and use in a pasta Carbonara dish replacing the pancetta. Two of my personal favorite applications.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender

I’ve never eaten Spam.

I hear they find cans of it from the Byrd and Ammundsen expeditions in cold places that are still good. Even the slow growing, cold loving bacteria won't touch it.

Probably fine if still sealed.

Get it? Sealed! 😆

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't eat it. I hunt with a guy that use to work where they made it , H e explained how they made it and of what. Nope, no way, Uh UH!

Hint. Everything from snout to the twisted tail can be called pork.
I keep one can in my camp box. When I get down to that is all to eat, it is time to go home.

I have carried it over 30 years.Lot of uses, but not to eat.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Spam for me. I’d rather eat Potted Meat or Bologna.

Hard to beat a fried egg and bologna sandwich.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've defended Spam here before. I've worked at the Hormel plant in Austin, MN a number of times. There is nothing mysterious about what goes into Spam and it's all decent pork shoulder and pork ham - no other scraps. The stuff is prime rib compared to potted meat or baloney. I've seen that stuff made too.

After watching Spam being made I would eat it out of the can in the company parking lot. After watching potted meat being made I won't ever eat it again.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
I've defended Spam here before. I've worked at the Hormel plant in Austin, MN a number of times. There is nothing mysterious about what goes into Spam and it's all decent pork shoulder and pork ham - no other scraps. The stuff is prime rib compared to potted meat or baloney. I've seen that stuff made too.

After watching Spam being made I would eat it out of the can in the company parking lot. After watching potted meat being made I won't ever eat it again.

Gee, a first-hand account. Of course, that can't hold a candle to "some guy told me" and urban legend. Thanks, Jog (p.s. I saw wieners being made at Wilson and Co - I know guys (some very well) who would sneak some from the line, conceal them in the pouch of a hooded sweatshirt, and break off pieces to eat while they worked. Sometimes they even heated them in the knife sterilizers.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

A bud used to work at Underwood. He said that potted meat was even better before it was canned. Said the hams it was made from were outstanding.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another thanks to JOG. All those "everybody knows" stories are complete BS. There's nothing in SPAM but good meat - and way too much salt. I buy the Lite version with a bit less fat and salt, and I get the singles packs with one slice of it because SWMBO doesn't like it and I don't want to eat a whole can of it myself (that salt and fat thing again.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wanna make some homemade.

Gonna call it Yeet Yeet Meat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by JOG

A bud used to work at Underwood. He said that potted meat was even better before it was canned. Said the hams it was made from were outstanding.

Underwood’s Deviled Ham is the good stuff.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I wanna make some homemade.

Gonna call it Yeet Yeet Meat.

Your killing me with that damned Cat ! LMAO every time I see it !

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/15/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

The definition of "potted meat" has to be stretched to include Underwood. The origins of potted meat was stuffing whatever was left over after slaughter into clay pots and adding a preservative. Different breeds and their various parts all went into the pot, or not, depending on what you had - kimchee for critters. As the pot filled you just kept smooshing it in. Modern canned meats from one breed, such as Spam or Underwood, might not qualify as potted meat, but there are definitely brands that do.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It reminds me of my youth. Weekends once in a while mom would cube spam, fry it it with onion and green peppers, mix in eggs and make what she called wester egg sandwiches.
I still eat spam sometimes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by JOG

The definition of "potted meat" has to be stretched to include Underwood. The origins of potted meat was stuffing whatever was left over after slaughter into clay pots and adding a preservative. Different breeds and their various parts all went into the pot, or not, depending on what you had - kimchee for critters. As the pot filled you just kept smooshing it in. Modern canned meats from one breed, such as Spam or Underwood, might not qualify as potted meat, but there are definitely brands that do.

Anything like scrapple?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

Anything like scrapple?

My understanding is that scrapple is more of a result of a recipe, and the meat portion of the recipe might be...questionable. A guy can boil a pig head and recover the protein and follow a recipe for scrapple, or can the stuff for potted meat.

Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand that native Hawaiians eat Spam.

https://guides.brit.co/guides/make-a-hawaiian-style-spam-breakfast

GOA
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.