Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
It seems to me that if the price of meat keeps going up, that the wild hog problem in America will be significantly curtailed.

I've never eaten wild hog. Some people say it's good. Some people don't.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tuna.

Steve Austin lived off of raw potatoes and tuna in the pre stone cold days (certainly no anabolics..)

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It seems to me that if the price of meat keeps going up, that the wild hog problem in America will be significantly curtailed.

I've never eaten wild hog. Some people say it's good. Some people don't.

It tastes fine, if'n you ain't a puzzy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 700LH
Oats

Good idea. I haven't thought of oats. I can take or leave plain oatmeal. But I'll look around and see if there's some oat based casseroles.

It shouldn't be too hard to come up with a recipe.

Few months back I bought a small blender, I drink right out of it. Throw whatever kind of fruit you like in it and a good size serving of Quick Oats, blend for 20-25 seconds, park it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and you got yourself a good tasting and nutritious slerpy-whip.
Frozen fruit should be fine, better than nothing, I've got to where I can't eat any more plain Oatmeal, I'd as soon eat a bowl of dirt.
A banana makes a good drink to me also canned pears, you won't know there's oatmeal in it.

I got a free 12# turkey at Town & Country grocery back before Christmas, seems like the price on the receipt was pretty cheap meat. Going to cook it and keep enough out to eat and freeze the rest in small containers, enough for 2 good size helpings.

I'm going to round up some lintels and give them a try, heard they were good food for years.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Dropped off some pecans with my local Commercial fisherman friends this afternoon... they were shrimping, but are now sharking (I assume the shrimp tonnage was met and the season ended).

I asked for some shark (wanna try some more fish jerky ("Shark Bites" I will call them Tabasco and Ghost marinade)).

He said sure... shark is only fetching $0.19 a pound at present.

That seems like "Low cost nutritious food" to me...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Tuna.

Steve Austin lived off of raw potatoes and tuna in the pre stone cold days (certainly no anabolics..)

,...gotta be careful with a diet like that. It might have worked for Steve Austin, but it also could turn somebody into Dog the fuggin' Bounty Hunter.

Genetics are Important. One day you're eating' raw taters and fish, next time you look you got hair like Dolly Parton and a face that's been beat with a bag of hammers.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Dropped off some pecans with my local Commercial fisherman friends this afternoon... they were shrimping, but are now sharking (I assume the shrimp tonnage was met and the season ended).

I asked for some shark (wanna try some more fish jerky ("Shark Bites" I will call them Tabasco and Ghost marinade)).

$0.19 a pound won't even pay for diesel... damn racket for sure.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Friskies

+1

Don’t get hooked on the Sheebas Paté.

High dollar.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing

I'll eat shark. It's just a fish.

This Chinese woman in Western Kentucky is getting rich off of Carp.

https://www.tworiversfisheries.com

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pahick
Go together with others and buy half a beef, or cases of chicken. I still get beef and seafood cheap at times from a vendor that services bars around here. I told the deliver driver long ago if at the end of the day he has stuff he couldnt sell to give me a call. I got shrimp right before Christmas, but havent heard from him since. Still worth a shot if u can find a guy like that in your area.

There's a big cattle farm a mile down the road. If worst comes to worst, I'll go down and buy one on the hoof and pay him to haul it to the butcher for me.

I'd do it before I went hungry. But I'm not a huge beef eater. I like it okay. But I can do without it and not miss it all that much.
You need to make an appointment. The small time packing houses around here are swamped with business. I butchered 2 beef cattle last February and ended up with 1000 lbs. of vacuum sealed beef. One was a huge fat 1/2 Brahma cow that quit having calves and the other was a somewhat fed white face 1/4 Brahma steer that I got from my neighbor. Not real good beef but not bad. My kids their spouses and kids are eating it and happy with it (free). I've been getting corn fed beef fat from a store and grinding and mixing it with the sirloins and chuck. It tastes about like the bison I've eaten. Country folks will eat, maybe blackbirds but they'll eat.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
pork, fish, eggs, and chicken are still not bad price-wise.

This^

Plus peanut butter, beans & lentils will keep you rolling.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheapest places to buy listed.

Old Fashioned Quaker Oatmeal (Sam's Club)
Blueberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Raspberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Strawberries (Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Chobani Zero Greek yogurt (Sam's Club)
Eggs ( Walmart or Walmart Neighborhood Market)
Yellow Squash (Aldi or Walmarts)
Zucchini (Aldi or Walmarts)
Butternut Squash (Aldi or Walmarts)
Almond Butter (Walmarts or Amazon)
Seafood (Restaurant Depot)

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been living country my whole life and see no reason to quit now. Our 3 acre pond is full of fish, our woods are full of wild game and we always have a decent garden. Freezers are still full from last year, we could use some more staples. Those who didn't have enough ammo are probably the same ones who don't have enough food. Nothing is low cost compared to last year, and it's probably going to get worse.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been going according to plan for you and you're still all well.

While I don't know if you've got anything like this south of the medicine line, up here we've got a chain called Bulk Barn where one brings their own jars or containers into the store - they've got to be clean spotless however - they'll weigh the empty and away you go.

We buy our oatmeal, 9 grain porridge, bulgar, dry beans, molasses, spices and a bunch of other dry goods there. It's amazing how much money seems to be in packaging. Spices in particular are typically less than a quarter the cost of individually packed containers.

When I'm making bread, meatballs, meatloaf or hamburgers I add rolled oats.

If one has the storage room lentils can last decades if stored in a dry place. They're bland and take on the taste of pretty much whatever they're put into. One can add them to the meatloaf or burger to stretch it as well.

This is a good discussion Bristoe, thanks for starting it.

All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guts.

Liver, kidney, heart.

Chicken gizzards and hearts.

I love gizzards, pressure cook them tender, flour, S/P, garlic powder,
Try in butter and olive oil.

Can't get any cheaper than real rice and dried beans.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Bristoe;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day's been going according to plan for you and you're still all well.

While I don't know if you've got anything like this south of the medicine line, up here we've got a chain called Bulk Barn where one brings their own jars or containers into the store - they've got to be clean spotless however - they'll weigh the empty and away you go.

We buy our oatmeal, 9 grain porridge, bulgar, dry beans, molasses, spices and a bunch of other dry goods there. It's amazing how much money seems to be in packaging. Spices in particular are typically less than a quarter the cost of individually packed containers.

When I'm making bread, meatballs, meatloaf or hamburgers I add rolled oats.

If one has the storage room lentils can last decades if stored in a dry place. They're bland and take on the taste of pretty much whatever they're put into. One can add them to the meatloaf or burger to stretch it as well.

This is a good discussion Bristoe, thanks for starting it.

All the best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

I appreciate the info. I don't know of any place like you mention. But I'll look for them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This winter I got a deal on sweet potatoes.
They are excellent condition and although they don't store as well, they aren't bad if cooled for a couple of months. Very tasty carbs and surprisingly good for most. Diabetics should try some and test too.
Other things on sale lately are cabbage, which can be fermented. Onions too, as celery and anything produce in season. Right now, I'm prepping for the spring garden.

Learn about wild edibles for foraging and planting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bristoe;
Thanks for the reply and good luck in the search.

We're lucky in that we've got a bunch of storage for stuff, so supposing you're the same.

Beans, rice, pasta etc are stored in those big gallon pickle jars that restaurants use. My wife found a dozen at a flea market or someplace?

Plastic tubs with a lid work fine too, but jars look cool and are easy to keep track of the amount left.

Buying bulk and then on sale too is how we've always shopped.

Good luck with the food shopping and thanks again for a productive thread.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Get to know your local locker. You would be surprised how much tongue and heart are pitched. Bones can be cooked down for bone broth. Potatoes, beans,dried peas and rice is cheap

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.