Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Where do they rate? Have a chance to buy a .300bo carbine for $1,500
Was looking at a Barrett when this came up. Got a pile of .300BO Ammo on hand.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
In my experience, they are usually pretty accurate and trouble free. Only saying this based on what I've seen with my friends' WC.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO, I wouldn't buy it w/o being able to actually fire it & confirm that all is OK.

I don't have any experience with WC on complete AR's but on other issues, I'm less than impressed with their customer service on a couple of other specific issues.

Taken on the whole, their parts are good & I have a couple of their 1911's that are fine.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
IMO, I wouldn't buy it w/o being able to actually fire it & confirm that all is OK.

I don't have any experience with WC on complete AR's but on other issues, I'm less than impressed with their customer service on a couple of other specific issues.

Taken on the whole, their parts are good & I have a couple of their 1911's that are fine.

MM

Was something wrong with the WC barrel you bought? I thought it was a shooter?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barrel shoots fine, now.

It would not accept any of 6 different bolts & headspace correctly...........all too short. Some factory ammo would chamber, just as many different brands would not.

Had to modify a bolt to finally get it to fit.

WC said it was perfect because they made it, yet would not supply a matched bolt to fit.

If a barrel / extension won't mate with one of 6 different (high quality, from 6 different manufacturers) bolts, the problem is likely the barrel.

It's like meeting azzholes...............if everyone you meet today is an azzhole, better take a look in the mirror as it's likely you're the azzhole.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a some of WC stuff, and like it a lot. But, I make it a point to buy their BCGs or bolts when I buy their barrels.

I've used other bolts with their barrels with no problem.

5.56/223 barrel?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5.56, same situation with 2 different barrels. .0015" tight on the HS gauge; some ammo would chamber if it was small enough, other ammo would not chamber.

After the problem arose, I offered to buy a matched bolt from them as that should have been the easy button............their CS said they didn't match bolts. As I said above, I had 6 new bolts on hand, non would fit correctly.

They would have taken the barrels back, but after talking to them, I figured any other ones would just be the same.

I just adjusted the bolt & moved on, but their CS left me a little cold with their explanation & not wanting to provide a bolt guaranteed to fit.

And all in all, I'm a fan of Wilson products & have used a lot of their 1911 parts & own 2 of their 1911's.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Barrel shoots fine, now.

It would not accept any of 6 different bolts & headspace correctly...........all too short. Some factory ammo would chamber, just as many different brands would not.

Had to modify a bolt to finally get it to fit.

WC said it was perfect because they made it, yet would not supply a matched bolt to fit.

If a barrel / extension won't mate with one of 6 different (high quality, from 6 different manufacturers) bolts, the problem is likely the barrel.

It's like meeting azzholes...............if everyone you meet today is an azzhole, better take a look in the mirror as it's likely you're the azzhole.

MM

That sucks man.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worked out in the end so no real harm done, just some extra aggravation.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What'd you end up doing jackmountain?

Wilson's 1911's get a lot more love than their ARs. I'm not that familiar with 'em and have never owned one of their ARs myself, but for $1500 bucks you ain't gettin' hurt and I'd buy it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Where do they rate? Have a chance to buy a .300bo carbine for $1,500
Was looking at a Barrett when this came up. Got a pile of .300BO Ammo on hand.

I wouldn't touch a WC with a 10' pole...

Total jackoffs on the .458 SOCOM platform EARNED them my 100% disrespect.

OLD SCHOOL 1911 by Bill Wilson himself... sure... G2G... but anything since... I ain't touching it.

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/13/22. Reason: Damn autocorrect typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They built me a lefty AR in .223 about 3 years ago,

Love the gun, zero issues.

Regarding Customer service, they were top shelf.

At the range last summer guy next to me had a WC .300 BO he had won in a raffle somewhere,

He had no complaints.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
5.56, same situation with 2 different barrels. .0015" tight on the HS gauge; some ammo would chamber if it was small enough, other ammo would not chamber.
MM

This echo's my experience with one of their barrels. Chamber was tight, wouldn't chamber any of my reloads that worked in many other AR's, and wouldn't even chamber factory military ammo. Head space was fine, the body was undersized. I bought a small base body die and rounds sized with it would function. After about 300 rounds the chamber wore in enough I no longer needed to use it. Barrel shoots great but it was a pain in the ass getting it to function properly.

So yea, Wilson Combat is on my "be careful" list.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 01/14/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good informative info in this thread, old bud has a pile of new WC mid-length AR-15's, 1600 bucks cash, i would have expected them to run like a Noveske or Barret Rec-7, speaking of Rec-7, he has one of those too in a 6.8 spc, two grand, glad i forgot my checkbook when i went out to get my new M1A.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
WC built me a 6.8 that has been awesome. It shoots Hornady 120gr SSTs into nice little clusters. I have taken quite a few deer with it and would/will buy another Wilson AR. Their customer service has been excellent as well so I have no complaints.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good informative info in this thread, old bud has a pile of new WC mid-length AR-15's, 1600 bucks cash, i would have expected them to run like a Noveske or Barret Rec-7, speaking of Rec-7, he has one of those too in a 6.8 spc, two grand, glad i forgot my checkbook when i went out to get my new M1A.

I agree gunner ol buddy. What has me thinking is why are half the guys saying hell no and the other half saying just the opposite.. I trust MM and AS on a lot of schidt AR related. Even though I know guys that have and use WC, it has me thinking I'd side step them. Even if a damn good deal came along. One guy I shoot against in our local AR shoots, uses one, and that WC is phenomenal. Its an oddball chambering though 7.62x40. Thinking back on our last shoot though, he had an issue with his, but he says he never cleans it. We tore it apart and found the firing pin all gummed up. Not a big deal, just cleaned it and put it back together and he was fine for the rest of the day.. He's good competition, so I wanted his rifle up and running. ha ha.. I think he laid down a 100-9x after cleaning it, so we were both happy...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500

I agree gunner ol buddy. What has me thinking is why are half the guys saying hell no and the other half saying just the opposite.. I trust MM and AS on a lot of schidt AR related. Even though I know guys that have and use WC, it has me thinking I'd side step them. Even if a damn good deal came along. One guy I shoot against in our local AR shoots, uses one, and that WC is phenomenal. Its an oddball chambering though 7.62x40. Thinking back on our last shoot though, he had an issue with his, but he says he never cleans it. We tore it apart and found the firing pin all gummed up. Not a big deal, just cleaned it and put it back together and he was fine for the rest of the day.. He's good competition, so I wanted his rifle up and running. ha ha.. I think he laid down a 100-9x after cleaning it, so we were both happy...

LOL, Yessir, gotta keep the comp up and running so's you wont get too relaxed ; ] noted on the WC, would be certainly checked and verified, but to my thinking, anything at that level should run like greased glass, hell, my dinky 750 buck 7 twist PSA mid lengths have never missed a beat, a hell of a bang for the buck imho, they wear Leupold Delta Pro and EoTech 556's, great little utility guns around the farm, house pickup/tractor.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by skeen

Wilson's 1911's get a lot more love than their ARs. I'm not that familiar with 'em and have never owned one of their ARs myself, but for $1500 bucks you ain't gettin' hurt and I'd buy it.

Originally Posted by skeen

Passed. More because of caliber than manufacturer.
Decided to start looking for a 7.62x39 upper due only to the amount of ammo I have stored.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (338Rules, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.