Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking at a 1995 New Holland 655D Backhoe.

Requesting intel and value opinions. Thanks in advance.

No pics... looked at it late in the day and didn't get a chance to take any pics.

Here is the info...

4 in 1 bucket that had crazy high reach (maybe 14' plus). Operated well. Cylinders seemed tight and oversized. All hosed have been replaced in the past 10 years (no obvious leaks or hose skin cracks). Fold away forks (well designed and well built (guys is a pro welder).

Cold start on the engine (been sitting for a month)... 28 degrees. Minimal initial smoke that cleared within 10 seconds. Engine sounded good. Nothing obvious.

Hoe operated well. Extend A Hoe operated well. Hoses look great (no obvious leaks or hose skin cracks). HOWEVER the right shift cylinder did have a small leak (the seller pointed this out). A few drops only... in 5 minutes of run time.

Tires are fantastic (95%). Oversized 4wd fronts.

Enclosed cab... some plexiglass and silicon caulk replacement panels, but overall a 'enclosed cab. No AC... and heat is inoperable, but repairable (probably).

Hour meter broke on previous owner (before this seller)... reads 2k. Been a seldom used farm machine for at least the past 10 years.

Visual... original paint, dust and leaves, typical sitting outside under trees stuff. Minimal UV damage.

The seller seems 5x5 on integrity (rural community kinda thing).

Valve help please.

Thanks

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
About like this...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$20-25k

Maybe more in this crazy market.

Finding a used backhoe that isn't beat to hell isn't easy. If it's been well cared for and doesn't need pins and bushings, that should tell you a lot.

Those were all metal and well built machines. I have a neighbor who's had a couple Ford/New Holland backhoes from that vintage and still has one.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not as heavy as a case or deere but decent power. Don't care for the 2 stage outriggers as shown, the one I ran didn't have those. Travel was quicker than the deere.

For a farm or owner operator that wouldn't be a bad choice if parts are in your area. If you are going to have an operator on it....id hunt for a deere or case.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 2015 we paid $16k for a ‘93 JD 310D 4wd, cab, extend-a-hoe, 6k hours, runs and drives good, extra ditching bucket.

If I were to list it today around here, I’d probably start it at 20 or 22. Strange times. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Judging by the rest of the picture, the one shown is in Europe. I've not seen one here that didn't have regular outriggers.

I agree with your assessment regarding who will be operating it.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Judging by the rest of the picture, the one shown is in Europe. I've not seen one here that didn't have regular outriggers.

The machine has two unusual features... vertical outriggers (they seem crazy stable to me (just saying)... especially when you also factor in the 4n1 bucket and fork weight/bearing.

And the very weird feature that the entire hoe can shift left or right about 2.5' either way from center.

I assume this was for digging tight against existing buildings. (i.e. after buildings were built dewatering drain tile fix maybe?)

VALUE ESTIMATES PLEASE... Thanks

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/15/22. Reason: Added info.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crazy. I've never used a backhoe with vertical outriggers or a side shifting dipper. They are very common features in GB and Europe for exactly the reason you site. I'm not sure the vertical outriggers would be as stable on loose ground if they've got a significantly narrower footprint, but they that might not out weigh their utility working around buildings and infrastructure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seldom used farm machine.....I like that

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’m this market in Virginia? $27,500 to $32,500

Used equipment is nuts right now due to new equipment lead times. Buddy was trying to buy a new Takeuchi skid steer and delivery date was 13mos. Been trying to find a decent used tele handler and I’m finding $35,000 for a machine that was $20,000 2 years ago.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by kingston

The machine has two unusual features... vertical outriggers (they seem crazy stable to me (just saying)... especially when you also factor in the 4n1 bucket and fork weight/bearing.

And the very weird feature that the entire hoe can shift left or right about 2.5' either way from center.

I assume this was for digging tight against existing buildings. (i.e. after buildings were built dewatering drain tile fix maybe?)

VALUE ESTIMATES PLEASE... Thanks

Made to help fit in very tight places ... now days mini excavators have taken place in that idea

Last edited by ldholton; 01/15/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

You’ve obviously never seen how most farmers maintain/use equipment.
1,000 hrs is more like 3,000 if it belonged to an excavation company.

Old man taught me a valuable lesson 20 years ago about always looking to see if equipment has been welded on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You’ve obviously never seen how most farmers maintain/use equipment.
1,000 hrs is more like 3,000 if it belonged to an excavation company.

Old man taught me a valuable lesson 20 years ago about always looking to see if equipment has been welded on.

I've worked on farms and we never had idle equipment. Smaller farms mind you.

I've always wanted a backhoe, just can't justify it since we have a mini and a tractor with a bucket.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Enclosed cab and no AC is an untenable situation for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I probably should have said small rural country home of a retired shipyard welder. I did not actually see any livestock. He did mention using the machine over the summer to help lift pallets of shingles (crazy high lift maybe 14' plus). 4n1 bucket had welded "teeth" inside to grab trees from blowdowns (heating with wood is not really a big thing down here on the Bay). Saw a few trees piled up 2 or 3... maybe a stump or two grubbed. Older retired fella, that did not use the machine much. Guess he picked up cheapish before retirement about 12-15 years ago and piddled with it some. If I had to guess 1k... maybe 3k hours at most over the past 12 or so years. Actual hours... not really known. Mechanics seemed tight.

Seller is skilled (had rebuilt the left hoe pistons a few years back... changed all the hoses himself as well (even the extentahoe). Knew and gave me the part number for the leaking pistol rebuild kit. Machine lives on a trickle charger. Custom designed fold away forks were an excellent job/build. Tires were a bit low on pressure, but only a bit.

His wife's car is washed and waxed and garage kept... so is his truck. House and property very well maintained. Little clues... he seems like the kind of guy that is damn diligent... he also seemed honest... pointing out the same things I would point out if I was selling something 37 years old.

This was a word of mouth find... he was not selling until a friend asked and he decided sure... OK if I can get $20k... my back and my wife are telling me I should.

I'll have my diesel guy give it a hard hook at... and will probably buy.

Rubber tracked equipment is a NO GO for West Virginia. Rock eat rubber/kevlar tracks alive. The newer Cat 299Ds are steel track machines (upgrade), but are big coin and pretty rare to find. Rubber tires seem OK, but I know I will be dealing with tires... everyone does.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
In 2015 we paid $16k for a ‘93 JD 310D 4wd, cab, extend-a-hoe, 6k hours, runs and drives good, extra ditching bucket.

If I were to list it today around here, I’d probably start it at 20 or 22. Strange times. 🤷🏼‍♂️

About where I am... I would have preferred a 110, 310 or 410... but just not find stuff. A 110 high flow is really a dream machine for me... they run more than 310s though (typically). Last one I found was $35k and it went fast.

I had a Ford diesel machine that I picked up at $4k... used it a while and sold at $7k. It was a rough rough machine. I was glad to be done with it. New buyer was glad to get it at $7k. All happy in the end.

I'll keep up my WTT JD 790 post... "TRADE ONLY toward a backhoe... plus $5,000-$35,000 cash from me) for a 4wd backhoe in excellent mechanical condition. This machine is 30 HP diesel in EXCELLENT condition with 910 hours. Yanmar. John Deere 110 would be my first choice. NO CASH PRICE. If you insist on a cash price. $12,000".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thanks for the opinions guys... I'll post final pics if I end up buying... I am leaning toward yes.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m this market in Virginia? $27,500 to $32,500

Used equipment is nuts right now due to new equipment lead times. Buddy was trying to buy a new Takeuchi skid steer and delivery date was 13mos. Been trying to find a decent used tele handler and I’m finding $35,000 for a machine that was $20,000 2 years ago.

I agree...

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Enclosed cab and no AC is an untenable situation for me.

I agree... I have never had or needed an enclosed cab machine... We will see how that works out.

Never even pondered one until a friend got into a ground nest of Yellow Jackets... cab saved his bacon that day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's a tight machine and priced right, I'd be all over it.

When we picked up our bobcat, we were kinda looking but just that...

Guy down the road posted 2 for sale. Had to wait for the bank to open. Paid 13k, hate to see what they are going for now

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.