Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sardines are good bait for coon possum and skunk. If skunk it would be better to catch away from the house. Groundhogs like to get under buildings. I have caught them where they are entering with leghold traps.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You sound like you are sure it is coons- not rats or other. Before getting a trap you might want to put a game cam out. Should be able to spot what it is first day.

Any tracks near the trailer?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you are using a box trap like a have a hart > I have a few tips. One wire a small metal can to the bottom of the trap past the paddle up aganst the back door of the trap. Close off that end of the trap off. I wired mine shut. So, only one end of the trap is open. The can allows the bait to be held but hard for the then to reach in from the sides of the trap to get the food without entering into the trap. For bait I used peanut butter, but prefer old pan drippings/ grease from the kitchen, etc. Nothing that they could grab and go, messy creamy bait that makes then stay and continue to reach into the bait can. Anchor the trap down. A big coon can roll in the trap and may be able to get out. I did wire heavy hardware cloth on the side on my trap on the bait can side to stop them from reaching in from the outside of the trap. Place a small bit of bait at the entrance of the trap to entice the critter. Good hunting!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I know raccoons eat the block mouse bait and enough of it will stop them.

Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I know raccoons eat the block mouse bait and enough of it will stop them.

Sure would hate to have it curl up and die under there, we had a critter die between the walls of a classroom one time, stunk up the room for months. Possibly a raccoon that came in up on the roof somewhere and fell between the brickwork or cinder blocks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Oh I forgot the one last tip, for a have a hart trap. Have a plan and method on what you plan to do with trapped critter. release far away from the location where you caught them from, dispatch them in the trap and what method to use? In the trap, CB cap in head shot ,can be messy, trash can full of water to immerse the trap into, (drowning) or release far away from location.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Captain Crunch.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cotis
A trail of marshmallows has worked every time for me. Sometimes it takes a .22 shell at the end of the line

Yup. Coons like marshmalliws

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best tool is a .22 LR cartridge!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've caught them in a havahart trap before and you'll know when they're trapped as they'll try to tear the trap apart. Caught one once that kept getting out of the trap before I got there so I set a game cam up. It was laying on his back and prying the trap door up just enough to get his head out, then wiggle right out.

I saw a movie once where they don't care much for hot dogs, the made of lips and azzholes thing you know.

Last edited by AZmark; 01/16/22.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lived in the country some time ago, had skunks under house. Buddy was G&F said fill a sock with mothballs, soak it in bleach, throw it under house. By gosh it worked, rather smell a little moth ball odor than skunk.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From your description of the noises I'd have to say it'll be a Bigfoot or a Sunkape, be careful.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Marshmallows and grape jelly.

Keeps the non target animals out of the trap.

I am MAGA.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by hookeye
Put a pair of workboots under there 😂

I saw what you did there. 😜

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweetened up ‘fly-bait’ is a scorched earth method of eradication. Of course, tuck it under & block access from pets & non-target critters.

When called for, the gloves come off.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had mixed success with havahart traps for racoon. Get yourself a duke dog proof trap and a bag of mini marshmallows. Be sure to chain the trap to something sturdy. Works like a charm. Some use 22s next, but I've been using my single six 32. Good luck

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had to use a led hold trap but i have only had one coon problem. That i was able to handle with a have a hart. One question,.... do you still need to hide the leg hold trap as you would in normal trapping situation?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've made live traps.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Peanut Butter

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
if the holes in the insulation are about baseball size and round, i'd suspect rats. i had them fuggers around here one time. no idea why or where they came from. one day i'm sitting there eating dinner and big ass rat goes running across the patio with a chipmunk in its mouth. i'm like WTF did i just see??

township has free rat poison. those fuggers ate about 12 pounds of it before they were all gone.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I have had to use a led hold trap but i have only had one coon problem. That i was able to handle with a have a hart. One question,.... do you still need to hide the leg hold trap as you would in normal trapping situation?

If you are referring to a dog proof, the answer is no. I fill mine up with mini marshmallows. The coon digs them out to eat, and trips the trigger on the inside. I caught 22 last year

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

73 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.