-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contrarily, I have had a Viper PST 1-4x24 on my service rifle and have fired over 8,000 rounds through the rifle over the past 4 years and dial between each yard line during competitions and when chasing the wind at distance. It tracks perfectly and has held up perfectly. So far. šŸ˜Š

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by WL205
Im not a click counterā€¦When sighting in I shoot the group, then while holding the crosshairs on my desired point of impact, twist the adjustment til the crosshairs are centered over the group I shot. Confirm and done. Ive got and had many scopes that wont adjust correctly but rarely have one that wont hold the zero, so I gave up on the frustration of counting the clicks.

That too is dependent on the mechanism working well, if not the clicks
being accurate.

If it is sticky, it may look good watching it, then jump on firing.

That's the problem I have with Leupold.
Move it a bunch, it only goes half as far as it should.
Move it that much more, it goes a bunch.
Move it half back, now it's as far off as in the beginning, other direction.

Funny, never had Tascos do that.

A brief synopsis of the next 10-20 pages of what happens after someone dares state they have trouble with Leupold:

Shortly there will be a gang of micro aggressed Leupold apologists along to explain to you that you don't know how to mount a scope, you expect too much precision out of a scope, you're too rough with your equipment, you shoot too many rounds in a year, you choose cartridges that recoil too much, you don't need to have reliable dialing because hold over is better, real hunters get closer to the game, etc, etc, etc.

Then they will go on a brief rant about how their Leupolds have never given them a bit of grief, so they can't possibly fathom that someone else had trouble with a single one of them. This will include a list of all the functionality they don't expect out of their scopes. It'll end with an American flag wrapped explanation of how merely stating you had a problem with a Leupold is just un American and that any Asiatic sourced optic (except the ones assembled in Beaverton, of course) should come with a copy of the Communist Manifesto, an AOC T shirt, and a one way ticket to North Korea. When it's all over you'll almost want to say amen because it'll have felt a lot like a sermon.

Now that was worth the price of admission šŸ¤£

Well said Sir

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I buy a lot of the stuff Stick buys after throwing it around and running it through its paces.

He's never steered me wrong on scopes and their ability to track correctly, or hold zero, or just not break.

We own one vortex, and it came with a rifle.

None on guns that are fighting guns.

ā€œLive free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.ā€ - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

My 300 does it.
Always wondered if it was me, it's light. It hurts after about 5 rounds.

My 308 did it. It's light, takes more to be uncomfortable though.
Rebeded it. Didn't help, changed to new mounts. Didn't help.
Put an elite 3200 on it. No Mo troubles.

And these guns were always off, year to year. Usually, low.

760 '06 was deadnuts reliable, year to year. Never had to re zero.
For 4 or 5 years. Then it needed moved horizontally.
And the whole turret came out instead of the cap.
Thanks Tasco.
3x9 Leupold on it now.
Not too bad. But not as reliable as the XXXXO was, until it broke.
(Yep, Hell bound!)

The 3x9 on a M-7 243 was there when I bought it used, 22 years ago.
Has never needed adjusted. Thats what scope is supposed to do.

1 out of 4.

Never had a clue it was the scopes, or common.
Untill a thread here. Started reading it.........The light bulb came on.

Most of my life I was too poor/tight to buy them gold rings.
But just knew they was the bestest.
Imagine the disappointment, and relief.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[quote=WL205]

I had a very similar thing happen to me at the range in October. VX5 3-15x44 on a Christensen Arms 300 Win Mag that I was shooting for a friend that was having problems getting the rifle to shoot decent groups. It took about 30 clicks (32 if I recall correctly) right to shift POI 3.5ā€ at 100 yards.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A brief synopsis of the next 10-20 pages of what happens after someone dares state they have trouble with Leupold:

Shortly there will be a gang of micro aggressed Leupold apologists along to explain to you that you don't know how to mount a scope, you expect too much precision out of a scope, you're too rough with your equipment, you shoot too many rounds in a year, you choose cartridges that recoil too much, you don't need to have reliable dialing because hold over is better, real hunters get closer to the game, etc, etc, etc.

Then they will go on a brief rant about how their Leupolds have never given them a bit of grief, so they can't possibly fathom that someone else had trouble with a single one of them. This will include a list of all the functionality they don't expect out of their scopes. It'll end with an American flag wrapped explanation of how merely stating you had a problem with a Leupold is just un American and that any Asiatic sourced optic (except the ones assembled in Beaverton, of course) should come with a copy of the Communist Manifesto, an AOC T shirt, and a one way ticket to North Korea. When it's all over you'll almost want to say amen because it'll have felt a lot like a sermon.

You don't know how to properly focus a scope - was popular for a while too along with diamond coatings being real diamonds....

Me

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Teal

You don't know how to properly focus a scope - was popular for a while too along with diamond coatings being real diamonds....

Leupold actually melted the diamonds in diamond coat smile

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 01/16/22.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
To the OP how precise is your rifle that you can determine that a scope is not working right ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
To the OP how precise is your rifle that you can determine that a scope is not working right ?

It was probably the fact that he put in 15 clicks and shot a second group that landed in the same place as the first groupā€¦ That is usually a good indicator that your scope isnā€™t trackingā€¦..

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honest questionā€¦. Was your vortex vaccinated against the dreaded Leupold virus?

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I get a new scope, I crank the turrets all the way between the stops from top to bottom, and back, left to right and back, several times.

My purpose is to make sure the springs are compressing/decompressing as they should, smooth out any possible hitches, and spread out any inside lube.

In the cold, heavy lube can stiffen the springs, and you might have to go past your intended correction if you are decompressing the springs, then dial back to the desired point while compressing.

I know, I know.....get a 'good' scope and no worries.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The only scope I've ever had that was a bit 'hitchy' when new was a $199 Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10X 40mm. The elevation was the glitchy one.

After working it back and forth between the stops about a dozen times, it never bobbled again.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It was probably the fact that he put in 15 clicks and shot a second group that landed in the same place as the first groupā€¦ That is usually a good indicator that your scope isnā€™t trackingā€¦..

DIdn't read that part. A few clicks I can see but 15 seems to be a lot, unless there are other issues present..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stand it up on a mirror and see if itā€™s movng

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Stand it up on a mirror and see if itā€™s movng

Good idea. ^^^

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Boar

Yes had several shots of Sweets, Bore tech, and a booster of wipe out.

Lety

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WL205
Im not a click counterā€¦When sighting in I shoot the group, then while holding the crosshairs on my desired point of impact, twist the adjustment til the crosshairs are centered over the group I shot. Confirm and done. Ive got and had many scopes that wont adjust correctly but rarely have one that wont hold the zero, so I gave up on the frustration of counting the clicks.

That too is dependent on the mechanism working well, if not the clicks
being accurate.

If it is sticky, it may look good watching it, then jump on firing.

Funny, never had Tascos do that.

Exactly why in the aforementioned process the step "confirm" exists. If the confirmation attempt fails then yes, there may be another issue to deal with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Depending on the particular problem, dialing to the hole/group may not work either.

Bingo.

It may not move until you dial in some more, then suddenly move more or less to where all the clicks add up to.

Some years back, an article by John Haviland quoted some Leupold guyā€™s advice about running the knobs all the way back and forth several times before trying to sight in. Iā€™ve done that and it seems to reduce the amount of tomfoolery involved, but the easier method is to buy something else and eliminate Tom and his foolery altogether. One would think that theyā€™d include that little trick in the manual, but I suppose that would be an admission of sorts.

FWIW, both of the dual bias spring Leupold scopes Iā€™ve owned adjusted just fine. Burris FFs have dual springs IIRC. Hmmmā€¦..

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/17/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I remember reading something somewhere I canā€™t remember years ago about Leupold scopes not adjusting right and a person stated that the reason was that Leupold used a grease on the leaf springs that over time would harden and so when you dialed the adjustments sometimes they would stick somewhat and would only move a little after you shot or tapped on the scope to break the grease weld loose. They said thatā€™s why it was good idea to tap on scope and run the adjustments down and back to loosen and spread the grease so that it would adjust right. It may not be true but when you said that the scope adjustments may not move or move more than adjusted after a few shots it kind of seems like maybe itā€™s true. I donā€™t know just saying.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nuguy
I remember reading something somewhere I canā€™t remember years ago about Leupold scopes not adjusting right and a person stated that the reason was that Leupold used a grease on the leaf springs that over time would harden and so when you dialed the adjustments sometimes they would stick somewhat and would only move a little after you shot or tapped on the scope to break the grease weld loose. They said thatā€™s why it was good idea to tap on scope and run the adjustments down and back to loosen and spread the grease so that it would adjust right. It may not be true but when you said that the scope adjustments may not move or move more than adjusted after a few shots it kind of seems like maybe itā€™s true. I donā€™t know just saying.

And that, Sir, is how I was raised and taught by my father. To this day a rubber handled screw driver is part of my range bag kit. While sighting in a rifle and scope, out of habit, I tap the turrets after an adjustment is made.

Maybe that's why I've never experienced some of the sighting in rodeos gleefully reported here. Maybe not.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.