Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I wouldn’t want to have had either of them pissed at me. Both good actors, and I’ve always admired James Arness.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't mess with Yellowstone Kelly..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The real Kelly was also a bad ass

Coyotes shot no waiting.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
2 of my all-time favorite TV stars. Both were quality men! Both served their country! And both were very good to fans. I still watch their reruns. It’s a draw between them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When Hoss met his match.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
James Arness was wounded in Italy during WWII, he never got over the wounds...that is where his limp came from.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by rte

PS: James Arness had a bum leg from a previous accident.

Lean Wolf can tell the story from knowing him, but Arness was in full time pain the last couple of years of Gunsmoke. It was from a war injury. During the battle of Anzio, Arness' right leg was peppered with machine gun bullets, and when the bones were set they didn't mend properly, leaving him with a slight but permanent limp. The trauma of the experience mellowed into aimlessness after the war.

I knew Jim, and did one movie with him. His wounds were severe and troubling him greatly. He wore compression undergarments under his pants to help keep the dropsy in both legs under control long enough to shoot a scene. The wounds are what contributed to him getting dropsy.

It wasn't a pretty sight. I saw it and the pain it caused him with my own eyes. He was a friend.

Jim Arness was badly wounded at Anzio, WW II, as mentioned above. Flesh and bones don't do too well when they encounter 8MM bullets from a German machine gun. The last several years of Gunsmoke, Jim could not ride a horse other than to mount, start to ride away, and the camera would do a cutaway and Jim's stunt double did the rest of the riding. He was a very nice man who survived and prospered in a pool of sharks: Hollywood.

FWIW.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
James Arness is easy one of my favorite all time actors. His service to our country just makes him all that more iconic. They don’t make them like him anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Throw in Leo Gordon. ......one of the few who looked real when in a fight scene with Walker. Leo was a true Bad Ass at one time. Great person later on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Throw in Leo Gordon. ......one of the few who looked real when in a fight scene with Walker. Leo was a true Bad Ass at one time. Great person later on.

Shot by a cop while he was attempting an armed robbery. Went to prison and was a convicted felon. Bad azz... or dumb azz? Now this actor was a real deal bad azz...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_J._Ortiz

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I saw Clint Walker when I was about 12 or 13 years old at a place near Denver called Magic Mountain. He did a scene from Cheyenne with another guy. They had a shoot out. He was a big guy to a little kid but signed autographs and smiled after the skit was over.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood
When Hoss met his match.

They should've had Mr. Spock neck-pinch him.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Both seem like good guys, isn’t Walker still alive?
As far as actors I thought Arness was better more natural to his parts… until late in life. Seems to me those gunsmoke movies he did late in life were not his best and his acting seemed “forced” for lack of a better word. Trying too hard maybe?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Osky
Both seem like good guys, isn’t Walker still alive?
As far as actors I thought Arness was better more natural to his parts… until late in life. Seems to me those gunsmoke movies he did late in life were not his best and his acting seemed “forced” for lack of a better word. Trying too hard maybe?

Osky

Clint died in like 2018 or so.

Jim did film work later in life, but was in a lot of pain to do so. It shows. It wasn't his acting that was the problem, it was the old war wounds weighing on him.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like both. Arness gets the edge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

..... James Arness was Huge........ that is why they cast him in the "Thing".

I know that statement was not meant to take my mind where it did but I spewed coffee laughing..

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

about the 3:23 mark she looked like she was gettin wet under all them petticoats and bloomers.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When Hoss met his match.
Their dubbed in fight sounds are out of sync. The biff sounds are coming before the fists.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
When Hoss met his match.

I liked gals like that.

about the 3:23 mark she looked like she was gettin wet under all them petticoats and bloomers.

Of course she got wet.

She started that fight. She was enjoying the resulting chaos.

Redhead too... True to form. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Props, and sound effects. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

They should've had Mr. Spock neck-pinch him.

Haha! Good eye.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

102 members (6mmCreedmoor, 35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 957 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.