Ever try them? Worth the money?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You bet.Got to be fresh.Catch them big bull frogs, cut the legs off and put them on ice.Once home skin them , put them in a cake pan with about 1/4" of red wine.Cook at about 350 until wine is all gone.

We use a long cane pole. Years ago they came in carpet roles. Put a frog gig on the end and about 10 feet of fishing line with a treble hoof that had a piece of red felt on it. If the frog was close enough we gigged it. If not,we would unwind the fishing line and drop they took in front of the frog .Most of the time they would take it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a lot of experience, but the ones that I have had were very fishy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grandmother would fry them in her old house iron skillet for us when we caught em as kids. Good times.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/16/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love them but haven't had them in years. Not a lot of bull frogs in north Idaho.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After Katrina i was helping a buddy one Saturday clean up a yard.

The owners had family from LA and has came up to evacuate.

They brought all the frozen stuff that could haul.

They say that cooked a big feast. All types of seafood.

They fried whole frogs. Just deheaded and gutted.

Wasn’t much meat on the tiny arms. 😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Love them. We always just rolled them in flour S&P and pan fried them. The really big ones had usually been eating some fish and could be fishy.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had a "fishy" two (can't say "one" as they come in pairs.) Lightly breaded and fried, they're very mild, tender, and delicious. The old "tastes like chicken" line almost applies here, but you'd know it isn't poultry.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We always enjoyed using them for tacos/fajitas.

Yup.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Love them, but have not had any for years. Never bought frozen ones at the store, but I suspect they are good as well.

Guy I worked with had a small airboat. Swampy public area about 15 miles from here. Too weedy and full of cattails to fish much, so it was seldom used. Spot light and gigs, on a good night we would get over 100 big bullfrogs. Get half drunk and go to his shed to clean them at 3:00 AM. Good times!

Had been 20 years since I was at the swamp. Drove past last summer while in the area. No doubt frogs are still there, but it is so over grown you could not even get around with an airboat anymore.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Had them first as a kid in Montreal at a French place. Lots of garlic and wine: good.
Hosted an invasive species dinner here a few years ago. We gigged up a bunch of bullfrogs, breaded and fried the legs. Wasn't overly impressed..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had them, good ones are real good.

Most of what I've had were NOT!

I will not bother anymore....

Last edited by Muffin; 01/16/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Not a lot of experience, but the ones that I have had were very fishy.

Same for me. Like eating chicken with a slight fishy taste.
Good, not great

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have not had them in years, but they were good

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Love them. Used to go frog gigging as a teen, and later on after I got married. My wife cooked them up pretty good. To really do good at frog gigging you need clean pond banks where you can see them. Most of the ponds I used to find frogs in are so grown up that you can't see the frogs. The last time I went gigging was probably 35-40 years ago. Gigged 3 snakes before we saw any frogs, and that was enough gigging for me.

There was a Chinese restaurant here that used to serve frog legs on their buffet. They were pretty good eating.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Haven't had them in a while but the last place like JamesJR. Local Chinese had then on the buffet. I would clean them out then eat other things

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I've never had a "fishy" two (can't say "one" as they come in pairs.) Lightly breaded and fried, they're very mild, tender, and delicious. The old "tastes like chicken" line almost applies here, but you'd know it isn't poultry.

Yep. Go to a Chinese Buffet that has them.
Might get one serving, might not.
They aren't good enough, or bad enough, to really GAS about.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I really like frog legs,I have eat a ton of them since I was a kid 50 plus years ago.

Gigged them,And Caught them with our hands by sitting in front of a boat and shining a light then have the person Paddling the boat (or running the trolling motor )run the boat up on the frog and snatch the frog from the bank after pushing the frog into the mud of the bank(be carefull if you try this as sometime there is a snake trying to get to the frog too,and sometimes it is a cottonmouth instead of just a Harmless watersnake.Also all snakes will come to a light.

Also eat the Frog Backs, not as much eating as the legs But still great tasting.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Haven’t had them in years either. Haven’t seen enough fogs big enough to have them in years either. We’d mix lawry’s seasoning or salt and pepper in flower then fry them.

I didn’t know you could buy frog legs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a buffet restaurant in Minnesota that you paid by what you wanted to eat if you paid the highest price you got frog legs deep-fried. Bad boy did we knock the bottom out of them frogs..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
There was a buffet restaurant in Minnesota that you paid by what you wanted to eat if you paid the highest price you got frog legs deep-fried. Bad boy did we knock the bottom out of them frogs..

Was it in Prior Lake? That place was awesome!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anchor something off south roberts.... Inver Grove Heights area

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anchor something off south roberts.... Inver Grove Heights area

Anchor Inn?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Last time i ate them was 65 years ago. I liked catching them more than eating them as a kid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chris_c
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm sure that was the one (in Prior Lake) that I was thinking of. There were various price groups on the menu. You paid for that group and could have as much as you wanted of anything in that price group.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had em 1 time, they were good until I found out what they were.. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frog legs are good eats. Just be sure where they come from.

A lot of them that are commercially available are imported from Asia. Farmed in nasty azz water.

🤮

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bingo !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where u find Dat! ..I download garage logic every week for many years

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We used to gig the pizz out of em.

I remember one spell between my sophomore and junior year in HS we gigged from dark til daylight for 3 or 4 nights straight. Had one hell of a mess of legs to go with my pards dad's fish fry. Good thing we never got caught as we were well over our limits.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Love them. We always just rolled them in flour S&P and pan fried them. The really big ones had usually been eating some fish and could be fishy.

We always used corn meal like we did when pan frying fish. Used to be lots of them here on the minnow ponds, but they have about disappeared. Back in the 60's and 70's you could ride around a few ponds and shoot a five gallon bucket full in a short time. That was before we had cattle egrets, and then I think some chemical or the other did them in. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where u find Dat! ..I download garage logic every week for many years

Google search. https://www.facebook.com/myslp/posts/10151843834383961
Located on St. Loius Park Mn gov page

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like them okay, not as good as calf fries if we’re talking deep fried novelty food. But we don’t have the frogs in numbers around here like we used to. We still get some bigguns but we usually just catch and release them after a photo op. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The only bad ones I've had were either cooked wrong or had been lying under a heat lamp too long on a buffet. All I've ever had, & I've had a bunch were chicken fried.

For the first time trying them, commercially farm raised that the stores & restaurants have will be mild, just like catfish. For the true flavor & best IMO, if wild caught.

And yeah, the one TheKid Jr. is holding might be a little tough. Might be best to release one that big.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Farmed from the orient are fishy sometimes. The frogs we go out and catch locally out of the rivers are delicious fried. Top notch eats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I like them okay, not as good as calf fries if we’re talking deep fried novelty food. But we don’t have the frogs in numbers around here like we used to. We still get some bigguns but we usually just catch and release them after a photo op. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That frog looks like he's all posing for the picture.... much like the kid ....but man the Frog check him out >>>>I'm cool yeah that's me... I'm cool lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid

Great photo. That’s a big ole Bullfrog!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Look at the legs on this one. 😜 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I dip them in an egg wash and shake up in corn starch. fry in a skillet in shallow oil and.flip. Fresh caught ones will kick in the skillet. Cooked right they are one of the best things to eat fried.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What Hogwild said. They're better if cooked more to the sauteed end of frying, and without a heavy batter coating. They're exquisite done in garlic butter just plain, no coating. That assumes fresh wild-caught, not farm-raised in China.

Taste? They have a fine texture, finer than chicken meat, with a mild, subtle flavor. You can tell any reptile or amphibian meat by a faint almost metallic aftertaste that comes from being cold-blooded. If you've had snake, lizard, or gator you know what I mean.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We eat a lot of fresh frog legs. Have a order in for 10lbs and the guys will be in the stick marsh gigging the next few nights. Then if I just find someone to dive me up some Indian river oysters to go along with the frog legs I'll be big dogging and fat catting.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used to really like them. They were hard to come by store bought and local regulations barely allow enough keep to make a meal. Anyways about ten years ago I started to find them everywhere. Taste and texture sucked. Found out they are china or se asia farmed. Either fishy tasting or very minerally like liver and chewy as hell.So god only knows what kinda cesspool they live in and what nasty crap they are being fed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,505 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.