Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Years ago when I lived in the eats,we called them Virginia cured .They were very salt and needed soaked before cooking.We would see them hanging from the eaves of roadside shops. Quite a few years ago, I traveled to Huntsville, AL and had some .,just like I remembered .Salty as all get out. These Smithfield hams we get are not as salty and most smoked cured hams I have bought are not either.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Nothing finer than a slice of country ham, 2 eggs over medium and a plate of grits with red eye gravy for breakfast. It also makes a fine sandwich on toast with mayo and a thin slice of tomato.
This past May, I was in Richmond VA, for my daughter's wedding. After the wedding, I spent about 3 weeks at home in the Wilmington, NC area. While I was there, I gorged myself on seafood, barbecue pork sandwiches and country ham breakfasts.
When I headed out on the drive back to ND, I had 2 gallons of freshly shucked oysters, packed in ice, in the trunk of the car. Just outside the town of Maxton, NC, I stopped at this little fruit stand, I had been doing business with for more than 20 yrs. and loaded up on boiled peanuts and country ham.
The boiled peanuts lasted me almost all the way back to Williston, ND and I divided the oysters and ham with a Sioux friend of mine who lives out on the prairie, northeast of Poplar, MT.
I'm still eating on the country ham. I save it for special occasions, when I can sit down and savor it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Start with a Clifty Farm ham if you’ve never had country ham. They are about $2 a pound at the local grocery stores here.

They aren’t what the old folks had in their smokehouse, but for the price, they aren’t bad.

Last edited by gregintenn; 01/16/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Next time you have a nice bit of ham, try my Dad's favorite sandwich: white bread, ham, and grape jelly. Salty and sweet go so well together you'll appreciate this combo a lot. Strawberry or blackberry jam work just as well.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Soak it in water for at least a day and change the water out several times prior to cooking it.

I’ve always had it baked in a roasting pan. A piece cut off while it’s still hot is absolute heaven. Cold and on a biscuit is pretty damn good too. Especially on a sweet potato biscuit.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Next time you have a nice bit of ham, try my Dad's favorite sandwich: white bread, ham, and grape jelly. Salty and sweet go so well together you'll appreciate this combo a lot. Strawberry or blackberry jam work just as well.

I've done that many times - very good.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Reading the Little House in the big woods book, I wondered how hams could hang from the rafters, and not spoil.

I’ve seen them hang for several years in an attic, covered in green/yellow mold

Not a dayum thing with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There are a couple of varieties of bugs that will eat into a country ham around the hip joint area. Short of that, a properly cured ham will last a long time if left hanging and not cut.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
its good for cooking with something else. makes great bean soup or ham and cabbage, etc. i don't go out of my way for them but i have been given them before. real salty and dense so its not to my liking just cooked like a ham steak. if you got BP problems you better double your dose.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Skippers?

That's what I remember my grandfather worrying about when they killed hogs and hung meat. They used some pink salt and regular salt then black pepper. He would smoke some but not all of it. It ended up wrapped in cheese cloth or back then in plant bed cloth. Don't remember any of the details being very young.

Still love it but don't eat it nearly as much as we did growing up.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I cured ours for a while. As stated, they are salty. We made our own. bacon, too. cured with salt and sugar, then cold smoked with apple wood in a setup I made from an antique refrigerator. Going to build a real good smokehouse here on the farm this year or next, and we will be back in the bacon. You can’t get good bacon at the store. Ham either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Country ham varies by region.
What most are talking about (Virginia hams) are cured in dry salt.
Pretty much mummified.

Our country hams l(and bacon) were cured with a salt brine in a wooden barrel.
Enough salt dissolved to cause a dime sized piece of egg to float
above the water. Can't remember how long they soaked.

Pulled out, dried off for a day, then smoked with hickory.
Hams and bacon were left hanging in the smokehouse,
you went out and hacked off what you wanted.

All butchering was done in late fall, early winter.

The cured meats would get mold by spring, and sometimes
maggots near the joint. It was just cut off, the rest was fine to eat.
Not sure how long into summer th ey would keep, it didn't matter.
This was about curing meat to have it when you wanted it, through
the winter. Come summer, there was a lot more food available.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Cracker Barrel will sell you a small quantity of their version of country ham.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mikeinid
Cracker Barrel will sell you a small quantity of their version of country ham.

It ain’t bad.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love country ham. I buy one every year before Christmas and have it sliced. Country ham on a good homemade biscuit is real treat, especially with a bit of blackberry jam.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Straight out of the bag, they're too salty for my taste. Love 'em, though. I usually soak them a bit before cooking as part of the trim process. Then slice and store. Typically pan fry for cooking.

As slum said, they are for breakfast.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Kentucky Gun Company sells packaged country ham, it isn't cheap, but you can try a small amount before committing to a whole ham. Hardee's Restaurants used to sell country ham biscuits (and probably still do), or their Carl's Jr. stores out West.

Here's a link to Kygunco's website.

https://www.kygunco.com/category/meats-and-gourmet/baked-country-ham

My grandfather's country ham was the best I've ever eaten, maybe because Grandma fried the slices in a cast iron skillet on an old woodstove in the kitchen. I was too young to pay attention to how he cured them, sadly enough. He did all his own hog butchering.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 01/17/22.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Italian Hillbillies like ham too.

Politics is War by Other Means
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I let a country ham hang for 2 years one time and it got way to salty and tuff to eat as it was so I ground it up in a food processor and made ham salad out of it. That turned out very well.

Last edited by pullit; 01/18/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would smoke my hams with cat piss flavored sagebrush. Cause I’m from Out West and I think I’m a know-it-all bad ass that lives in a tin shed and pulls my internet off of the ionosphere.

How do some of you foucks say that with a straight face??? 😃🤣

And I don’t get my sagebrush smoking shake from no Walmarts either..I bag it myself. Herrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.