Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Osprey will sit back and just watch you while you fish and suddenly swoop in to steal the fish jerking on your line. I've fought those thieves in mid-air battle trying to take my trout.

Very cool, Valsdad.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Saw a few eagles terrorizing migrating cranes in November. Couldn't figure out why 2 cranes were flying tight circles way up, seperated from their flock. 2 eagles had them scared $hitless. Finally they made a break and the eagles followed. I think the eagles were just showing their air superiority.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We had one in East Texas hanging out off and on by the pond the last couple of years. The big blue cats in the pond will have pink scarring on their heads when spawning. When the eagle is around several will look like they were on the wrong end of a straight razor fight. I’m sure he catches his share.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have seen them take fish from the neighbors pond next to my cousins.

Pisses the old farmer off.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Suprising the number of eagles you see here might not see one everyday but 4-5times a week in the winter

IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dutch
You can have mine.... was watching the osprey harass the eagle this morning. You can have the osprey, too, no charge..........

laugh laugh

I know where that's comin' from.

I don't have a fish pond, or I'd be thinkin' like you. wink

It goes both ways. When I was still stocking private ponds, had a guy that bought a load every year. His joy in life was watching the osprey catch the trout from the pond in front of his house.

Takes all kinds. But the money was green. Needless to say, not a local wink.

I can bet they're not popular in the Hagerman and other areas near there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Nice shot Geno!
I get a hawk in the yard on occasion. They love to hit the collard doves under the bird feeder. Makes a good show when he hits them in mid air and the feathers fly.

Yeah, we have a few marsh hawks (Northern harriers), and Cooper's come through on the migration that like to go after "my" quail and the dang doves. First I've seen the eagle hunting here though.

Guess I can't be outside ALL day!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have resident bald eagles here, and it is not unusual to see them on deer and elk carcasses along the highways.
The Ospreys are gone for the winter so the Eagles have the rivers to themselves this time of year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi
Saw a few eagles terrorizing migrating cranes in November. Couldn't figure out why 2 cranes were flying tight circles way up, seperated from their flock. 2 eagles had them scared $hitless. Finally they made a break and the eagles followed. I think the eagles were just showing their air superiority.

I have never seen it but I have read that a common tactic for birds to escape faster-flying falcons is to climb in a tight circle. Gulls eluding even peregrine falcons this way.

The raptors, being raptors, tend to have a heavier wing loading and many birds can exceed them in a spiraling rate of climb contest, presuming the chase begins where the falcon has no initial height advantage.

When peregrines and merlins do this to regular songbirds the songbird may tire or lose it’s nerve and attempt to dive back down with fatal results

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Sonsabitching Bald Eagles!

I shot a double on teal yesterday morning. Both ducks feet up. We had a bald eagle 🦅 hanging in a Douglas Fir across from us all morning, watching, making runs over any ducks we downed.

I’m wading out to grab the first teal closet to shore, eagle takes that as a his cue to “get him some food” it swoops in, wings open, swept back, both legs stretched out with them big yellow footed claws and rakes my second teal into his clutches.

Fly’s back to his tree and devours my bird.

What an ass-hole. 🖕🏾

🦫

One of the new IRS employees I guess...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Screenshot Big Bear Bald Eagle cam Jan 21'

Color camera BTW.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eagles are a major nuisance along some coastal regions but they provide for easy photo opportunities.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Forgot to mention, Wed past I had an appointment over the hill. 4 hr drive there.

4 eagle day, Baldy in a tree, two on a carcass alongside the road. And a golden near the house on a power pole.

Couple of turkeys up near Lake of the Woods too. In the pines with a good amount of snow on the ground.

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I.ve seen em swoop down and yank squirrels right outta the bean fields. Fish right outta the lake, one time was a pretty nice one.

They fly up to a tall tree and start eating, nothing to it. LOL

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A bunch of them here, cleaning up deer gutpiles

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
I do miss seeing so many of them on the refuges over there.

Nice shot.

Coulda been a nice ....uh, never mind.

Hide your ducks, dogs, chickens, geese, cats.....

A Coyote with wings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one for Dutch

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Sonsabitching Bald Eagles!

I shot a double on teal yesterday morning. Both ducks feet up. We had a bald eagle 🦅 hanging in a Douglas Fir across from us all morning, watching, making runs over any ducks we downed.

I’m wading out to grab the first teal closet to shore, eagle takes that as a his cue to “get him some food” it swoops in, wings open, swept back, both legs stretched out with them big yellow footed claws and rakes my second teal into his clutches.

Fly’s back to his tree and devours my bird.

What an ass-hole. 🖕🏾

🦫

I’ve had this happen.
I’d be pissed about a teal too!
Bluebills; not so much. Pretty damn cool to watch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.